Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Desanto’s improvement

10 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Taking nothing away from the kid at all--he's done very well and is looking better than ever.  

But let's not forget he was exceptional as a true freshman before imploding at NCAA's.  

Yah, not to trivialize how tough it is to be a PIAA champion or anything but many including myself thought his win over Spencer in the state final, while amazing, was a one-off - and not many expected him to be an elite D1 wrestler until he took the mat at Drexel. He’s definitely improved since transferring to Iowa but his starting point wasn’t that low, either.

I went to Iowa City over the summer and taught him how to be a man. I showed him how to shave, how to tie a tie, how to carve wooden ducks out of logs and how to run a trot line. He’s come a long way. These things may seem like they have little to do with his wrestling improvement. But, my goal was to make him believe in himself.  Now he does. I don’t want any credit for his growth as an athlete. I did it for the good of the sport. 

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Taking nothing away from the kid at all--he's done very well and is looking better than ever.  

But let's not forget he was exceptional as a true freshman before imploding at NCAA's.  

He gave a pretty good account of himself at NCAAs as a FR as well, R12 was nothing to sneeze at. 

1 hour ago, Lefty142 said:

I went to Iowa City over the summer and taught him how to be a man. I showed him how to shave, how to tie a tie, how to carve wooden ducks out of logs and how to run a trot line. He’s come a long way. These things may seem like they have little to do with his wrestling improvement. But, my goal was to make him believe in himself.  Now he does. I don’t want any credit for his growth as an athlete. I did it for the good of the sport. 

Did you teach him the Iowa way of butt wiping? Requires corn cobs, preferably dry ones. They stick in it, rotate it 3 times, then pull it out and chuck it in the corner!

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He hammered Micic as a true freshman. Hammered some other good wrestlers too. 

He did also get ridden for literally 6 and half minutes against jack mueller 2 times that year so his mat game is definitely a step up. Practicing the way he does and having to get ridden by Lee everyday has brought him up a notch 

11 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He did also get ridden for literally 6 and half minutes against jack mueller 2 times that year so his mat game is definitely a step up. Practicing the way he does and having to get ridden by Lee everyday has brought him up a notch 

That is true. 

8 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It’s mostly Desanto himself. All of the above matter a lot but not if the athlete isn’t totally committed and bought in. Many with similar setups don’t improve much if at all. 

Anyone who didn't take this for granted isn't even a human being.

Its coaching. They made him a tougher out. How long you can ride, can you get off bottom, can you score in a front head, can you mat return, efficient finishing.....its the holes inbetween the strengths that coaches, especially in college, plug up to make guys harder to beat. Thats exactly what happened with Desanto. 

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:53 PM, TBar1977 said:

He hammered Micic as a true freshman. Hammered some other good wrestlers too. 

I put that win alongside the Gross win. While both wins were impressive, something seemed off with both of those opponents that had nothing to do with Desanto.

20 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Anyone who didn't take this for granted isn't even a human being.

Its coaching. They made him a tougher out. How long you can ride, can you get off bottom, can you score in a front head, can you mat return, efficient finishing.....its the holes inbetween the strengths that coaches, especially in college, plug up to make guys harder to beat. Thats exactly what happened with Desanto. 

No doubt DeSanto was coached up. But I bet there are other guys who could've coached him up just as well. I think DeSanto deserves the credit. He's the one that put the work in to get better, all the coaches can do is offer suggestions. Once he gets out there on the mat it's on him, not Tom or Terry. 

24 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

No doubt DeSanto was coached up. But I bet there are other guys who could've coached him up just as well. I think DeSanto deserves the credit. He's the one that put the work in to get better, all the coaches can do is offer suggestions. Once he gets out there on the mat it's on him, not Tom or Terry. 

Its obvious that me made himself better. Saying out loud is ridiculous. 

And of course many coaches could have done as well. I'm just saying a good coach knows how to plug holes. That's like 80% of technical coaching.