CoachWrestling

Iowa is peaking too early

PSU is clearly the favorite so will likely win, but Iowa’s thrashing of a woefully underprepared Wisconsin team does not mean Iowa has peaked. Lee likely to take as much as half the season off to attempt a peak after NCAAs, recently injured Murin barely cleared to wrestle live, and the starting spot at 184 unresolved suggest to me Iowa is nowhere near its peak right now. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Penn State had a good run, but this is Iowa's year.  Just too little fire power from 125, 149, 157, 184 and 197 for Penn State.  The odds of Berge and Shak BOTH coming back healthy and full strength for March is low -- I would be shocked if both AA'd.  I can see maybe one but not both.

Pulling Beard's shirt will help, but not be enough to overtake Iowa absent a total meltdown at NCAAs for them.

3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Penn State is going to win the title this year. Book it. 

The whole premise of this is that they looked too good against Wisconsin. So are you saying if they looked worse and lost more matches you would pick Iowa? I dont believe that for a second. The title should be "I think Penn St. will win" because that is the only thing you are saying. Peaking isnt the reason and thats fine.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Iowa will break the all time NCAA scoring record this year. They might have 7 or 8 Champs! Book it. 

Nobody is even close to being in their league. Hawkeyes rule. 

Just so long as they don't shoot themselves in the kneecap. 

Pathetic

I feel like we went through the same thing in 2018, when Ohio St had that stacked lineup and they kinda fell apart at NCAA's. I think it will be close, but I doubt Iowa's early season rankings will all hold up until NCAAs. Predicting a few low-AA's and DNP's and PSU will clean up with more champs.

4 minutes ago, mg113 said:

I feel like we went through the same thing in 2018, when Ohio St had that stacked lineup and they kinda fell apart at NCAA's. I think it will be close, but I doubt Iowa's early season rankings will all hold up until NCAAs. Predicting a few low-AA's and DNP's and PSU will clean up with more champs.

I don't think it's anything like a done deal either, but that is a bit of a false equivalency simply because this Penn State team isn't close to that Penn State team.  And that's not shots at this year's squad, but that year Penn State had, I believe, three of the top 12 or so all time NCAA tournament scorers on their team