Sign in to follow this  
klehner

A peek inside grey-shirting

10 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

"You don't have to take courses."

This is worse than I thought.

What's wrong with that statement?

Grayshirting is mainly non-technical term generally associated with taking a year between HS and college. It's not usually meant to be the year that a kid leaves the IVY school in an attempt to mimic a redshirt so I dispute the one statement about the Princeton kids this year (other than Kolodzik) although again not terribly a big deal since the term is non-technical. 

Lewis was just stating a fact that he didn't have to take any courses in the grayshirt year but is anyway.

28 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

"You don't have to take courses."

This is worse than I thought.

I'm not a proponent of the grey shirt, but he wasn't saying that as if it's a benefit.  It was in response to the statement that they're taking community college courses--something they are not required to do, but have chosen to.  

I think the issue is basically 1 of 2 things are happening:

1.  This is increasingly making wrestling a sport for the upper-middle class and up, as they're pretty much the only ones that would want to pay for their kids to live in another state to go to a community college part-time.  I guess one could take out student loans, but that's a whole nother issue, although if they will have little or none once they get into Cornell, that could be a good tradeoff for an Ivy League education.

2.   Cornell/Finger Lakes RTC is somehow financing these guys' housing, etc. (not likely IMO but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they were) 

Not a fan of redshirts or greyshirts.  Go to college, learn, get into the world and start your adult life and add value.  A year less of income, retirement savings, experience etc.  

First world problems I suppose.  Tons of money slushing around that makes getting a job less important.

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I have no issue with grey shirts.  Gap years are good.  Nonetheless, it cheapens Cornell to do it.  Is it the only Ivy that aspires to be a jock school?

You likely didn’t notice the mention of two Princeton wrestlers since it doesn’t fit with your narrative. 

1 minute ago, Boompa said:

How is greyshirting different than "deferred enrollment" at PSU?

Don’t think it is different.  But the great part is you can then redshirt!  Nothing like graduating at 24.  It’s out of hand.

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

So there are two? 

They mentioned 2 from Princeton but there have been others like Kolodzik and Stefanick. Penn has some guys greyshirting this year. Harvard had Conigliaro last year and has a few wrestlers sitting out this year like Hellickson.  Columbia also has some guys sitting out this year like last year's 141 starter. Can't remember his name.

33 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I have no issue with grey shirts.  Gap years are good.  Nonetheless, it cheapens Cornell to do it.  Is it the only Ivy that aspires to be a jock school?

This is such an ignorant statement. If you knew anything about Ivy admissions, you wouldn’t be asking. There has never been an Ivy that doesn’t have a “jock” portion of admits dedicated to its particular target sports and there never will be. 

The recent Varsity Blues FBI investigation which has implicated some Ivies or Ivy+ schools is only the tip of the iceberg. Do some research....

16 minutes ago, nom said:

Redfan - pls - stop.  Facts are not welcome  when people enjoy putting down programs or people.  Freakin unbelievable.  (Eyeroll)

Do you feel the well established grey shirting/FLWC relationship at Cornell is consistent with the spirit of the Ivy league's longstanding rules regarding redshirting and 4 years of college?

9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

So the answer is 'No'?  

Correct.  Now do me a favor and put pretty much any other D1 college name in there.  I won’t like greyshirting or redshirting for them either.  It doesn’t align with ANY of their missions.  You seem to want to call out Cornell - sole grievance you have. 

Just now, nom said:

Correct.  Now do me a favor and put pretty much any other D1 college name in there.  I won’t like greyshirting or redshirting for them either.  It doesn’t align with ANY of their missions.  You seem to want to call out Cornell - sole grievance you have. 

I have no issue with grey/red shirting.  Except by institutions that claim elite status.  It cheapens them.  

Oi.  Ok, well at least make sure to target all the Elite schools - whoever they are.  Perhaps Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, UNC, Ivy’s ...  

I’ll look forward to seeing you denigrate Michigan for redshirting.  I won’t hold my breath.

https://money.com/money/best-colleges/profile/university-of-michigan-ann-arbor/

39 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Do you feel the well established grey shirting/FLWC relationship at Cornell is consistent with the spirit of the Ivy league's longstanding rules regarding redshirting and 4 years of college?

I don't see it as a conflict given that the same accommodation (deferred admission or voluntary leave) is available to all students.  The point of the prohibition against a true redshirt is that this essentially gives athletes an extra scholarship year not available to other students.  But if they take a year off om their own dime - fair game  

10 minutes ago, red blades said:

I don't see it as a conflict given that the same accommodation (deferred admission or voluntary leave) is available to all students.  The point of the prohibition against a true redshirt is that this essentially gives athletes an extra scholarship year not available to other students.  But if they take a year off om their own dime - fair game  

Is it on their own dime?  Who pays for what when one is at the FLWC?