Sign in to follow this  
moveurfeet32

Wow..West Virginia is just Awful

Losses already to Northern Colorado 31-10 and to Army 35-4 and about to be blown out by Pitt tonight. How does a fully funded program with good facilities end up so bad.  They hire Tim Flynn and the Program is in a nosedive with him and Zero Fan base. Have to think his assistants have a lot to do with this debacle. Everyone of their wrestlers look like they never sniffed a weight room in their life!

Edited by moveurfeet32

41 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Losses already to Northern Colorado 31-10 and to Army 35-4 and about to be blown out by Pitt tonight. How does a fully funded program with good facilities end up so bad.  They hire Tim Flynn and the Program is in a nosedive with him and Zero Fan base. Have to think his assistants have a lot to do with this debacle. Everyone of their wrestlers look like they never sniffed a weight room in their life!

You would make a terrible athletic director, if you're evaluating coaches based on wins and losses in their first couple of years as a coach. At least wait until he gets his own guys in the room...

1 minute ago, SetonHallPirate said:

You would make a terrible athletic director, if you're evaluating coaches based on wins and losses in their first couple of years as a coach. At least wait until he gets his own guys in the room...

Not basing it on wins and losses but the effort with scholarship guys in program does not look good. Also the Fan base is non existing..That should be a concern to any AD

Just now, moveurfeet32 said:

Not basing it on wins and losses but the effort with scholarship guys in program does not look good. Also the Fan base is non existing..That should be a concern to any AD

Again, coaches perform differently once they have their own athletes on the team (in any sport). As for the fan base, that takes time as well.

This is Flynn’s 3rd year? Who is the highest ranked recruit he’s brought in?

i’m not trolling I’m seriously asking any West Virginia fans who is the highest ranked guy he’s brought in? They are in a talent rich area I figured he d be able to recruit well considering the job he did at Edinboro

Edited by Antitroll2828

8 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

This is Flynn’s 3rd year? Who is the highest ranked recruit he’s brought in?

i’m not trolling I’m seriously asking any West Virginia fans who is the highest ranked guy he’s brought in? They are in a talent rich area I figured he d be able to recruit well considering the job he did at Edinboro

Second year.

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

To be completely fair, WVU pretty much sucks at everything, not just wrestling. I guess wrestling is their worst sport though. 

Almost heaven, West Virginia... Blue Ridge Mountains where nobody wrestles...

You have to give Flynn a chance to bring in and develop his own people. In his second year many athletes are still holdovers from the previous regime. He obviously can coach just from looking at what he was able to do at Edinboro. Be patient and I am sure you will see West Virginia develop into a credible program in the next few years. Oklahoma was at the same spot, and are showing great improvement under Coach Roselli. It just takes time.

1 hour ago, headsnap said:

You have to give Flynn a chance to bring in and develop his own people. In his second year many athletes are still holdovers from the previous regime. He obviously can coach just from looking at what he was able to do at Edinboro. Be patient and I am sure you will see West Virginia develop into a credible program in the next few years. Oklahoma was at the same spot, and are showing great improvement under Coach Roselli. It just takes time.

Oklahoma was in the same spot when they hired Cody who is an amazing coach and had built a smaller program to a powerhouse just like Flynn. Unfortunately sometimes things just aren’t the same when a great coach goes to a bigger school. I’m not saying this will be the case with Flynn... he definitely deserves more time. I’m just saying that sometimes a great coach doesn’t get the same buy in when he moves to a different atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

He inherited an empty cupboard.  They're redshirting like 20 guys right now.  

Their 197 looks pretty tough, so there is at least 1 bright spot.  

West Virginia’s heavyweight should be a qualifier too...dresser took over ISU with a lot more talent and had only 1 qualifier his first year so I think Flynn deserves some time and the benefit of the doubt and one thing I know about West Virginia is if they start winning at any sport and you promote it  ,the fans will come and will probably be pretty wild 

The guy is doing what most coaches would do.  Come in, redshirt all of your best recruits, let most of the holdovers graduate and take your losses in year two.  Next year he will unleash all of his redshirts and plug his best recruits right in, and follow suit the next season.  Year 3 will likely be vastly better with this plan of attack

They wrestle Buffalo Sunday in a dual they should win.Buffalo is 1-5 so far and isn't looking very good at all.Looks like the coaching philosophy of handfighting  and wrestling hard doesn't work anymore.In wrestling you evolve or get left behind some coaches are still trying to use a cup and a string while others have cell phones.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:55 AM, calot said:

They wrestle Buffalo Sunday in a dual they should win.Buffalo is 1-5 so far and isn't looking very good at all.Looks like the coaching philosophy of handfighting  and wrestling hard doesn't work anymore.In wrestling you evolve or get left behind some coaches are still trying to use a cup and a string while others have cell phones.

Buffalo wins 24-12