brickhousey

CKLV discussion

Purdue has quality starters at every weight.  Good dual team.  But at a tournament this deep, with ~10 ranked wrestlers at every weight, that only gets you so far.

# of ranked wrestlers by weight

125    7
133    11
141    8
149    13
157    8
165    10
174    13
184    12
197    10
285    12

I’m excited for this particular event because there are 5 top 10 teams among 32 which could produce THREE #1 vs. #2 match-ups this weekend!

Possible Match-ups

141 lbs #1 Luke Pletcher vs. #2 Dom Demas (this is a match that has already happened with Pletcher coming out on top in SV).

157 lbs #1 Hayden Hidlay vs. #2 Carr (after seeing how Carr knocked off Young, I expect a really close match).

184 lbs #1 Valencia vs. #2 Trent Hidlay

When was the last time we saw this level of competition in one tournament?!!!

Initial Bracket reaction for tOSU:

125 - oh good golly... sucks for Malik.

133 - Koontz will also be a quick out

141 - Pletcher's semi vs. Red or Tariq will be tough... especially if it's Tariq

149 - Sasso can get his revenge in the Rd of 16.  If he does i do seem him beating Parriot to make the semis vs. Degen or Purinton.  I think Degen would be a tougher matchup.

157 - Mattox has a very tough road.  If he makes it to Carr, it'll be a rematch (IIRC) of a close HS match or two.

165 - Smith has what I feel to be a good draw to the Semi's vs. White

174 - Romero has a big test in Hastings that I think he'll pass, but then Labriola.  Labs will be his measuring stick.

184 - Hoffman wins his first match then faces Lujan.  ouch.

197 - Moore's semi vs. Schultz should be close, but winnable.  Moore in finals vs. Sloan/Woodley (IMO)

HWT - Has a definite path to see Mason in the semi's.  Should be a good measuring stick to see how much Singletary has improved, or how much Mason has improved (or if they both improved! ha!)

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Purdue has quality starters at every weight.  Good dual team.  But at a tournament this deep, with ~10 ranked wrestlers at every weight, that only gets you so far.

Quick flip through the brackets and Cornell has a lot of first or potential second round matchups against Purdue and I was surprised by the strength of the team. Cornell's early rounds seem... fun? interesting? potential early rematches of Pletcher/Baughman and Hidlay/Darmstadt, for example. 

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Does anyone know  what mat there is commentary or do they just bounce around?

I think in the early rounds they move around and try to catch matchups they think will be interesting.  When it gets to quarters/semis they usually have defined mats for coverage.  At these thats how its been at big tournaments in the past.

It's such a shame. Everyone thought Hoffman was going to be a world beater.  He's definitely looking the opposite at this point.  Ryan should be looking for a transfer or a hot Frosh recruit for 184 if Hoffman is the best they got.