balanceseeker

Luke Pletcher

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Double of 34% is 68% not 57%.

Relative terminology to his own results won't work. Zahid, Hall, and Moore are all over 80%. Hell every other (active) #1 has a higher bonus percentage.

Which is why I said "almost"...

I was more replying to the "against average competition" comment, since the 2 guys I mentioned were the only "average competition" that he hasn't bonused.   He's had a pretty brutal schedule so far, wrestling 3 of the top 6ish guys plus another guy who probably should be in the top 8 in Woods.

If by "active" #1, I guess you're taking out Cassar (33%), Joseph (33%) and O'Connor, leaving only Lee, Desanto, now Deakin,  Hall, Valencia and Moore.

I would fully expect Valencia, Moore and Lee to have a higher bonus % than Pletcher.  Which leaves Desanto, Deakin, and Hall.  Desanto has only wrestled 3 matches, so maybe he should fall under your "not active" list.    Which leaves Deakin and Hall.  They seem to have bonused all of their "average competition" so far, but they've also wrestled the same number of matches combined that Pletcher has.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Which is why I said "almost"...

I was more replying to the "against average competition" comment, since the 2 guys I mentioned were the only "average competition" that he hasn't bonused.   He's had a pretty brutal schedule so far, wrestling 3 of the top 6ish guys plus another guy who probably should be in the top 8 in Woods.

If by "active" #1, I guess you're taking out Cassar (33%), Joseph (33%) and O'Connor, leaving only Lee, Desanto, now Deakin,  Hall, Valencia and Moore.

I would fully expect Valencia, Moore and Lee to have a higher bonus % than Pletcher.  Which leaves Desanto, Deakin, and Hall.  Desanto has only wrestled 3 matches, so maybe he should fall under your "not active" list.    Which leaves Deakin and Hall.  They seem to have bonused all of their "average competition" so far, but they've also wrestled the same number of matches combined that Pletcher has.

Mauler is the active #1.

Cassar and Lee aren't so much active as they're 3-0. Small sample size. Griffith is at like 77% now too. You understand my point as valid, though. That is what matters.

I also don't think anyone beats Pletcher at 141 this season, FWIW. His style just isn't conducive to bonus wins. There is nothing wrong with that, unless you're going for the hodge.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Mauler is the active #1.

Cassar and Lee aren't so much active as they're 3-0. Small sample size. You understand my point as valid, though. That is what matters.

I also don't think anyone beats Pletcher a tr 141 this season, FWIW. His style just isn't conducive to bonus wins. There is nothing wrong with that, unless you're going for the hodge.

Yeah I was going to start saying something about the Hodge but wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at.   I kinda have a feeling 3 or less guys finish the season undefeated, which should put those 3 (one of which may or may not be Pletcher) as the top 3 Hodge finalists.

The only solid guy Mauller has wrestled was Moore of VT (who he decisioned), and he also has 3 other decisions, so I wouldn't say his current season in terms of bonus is better than Pletcher.

Luke Pletcher has been a find for the Buckeyes.  While he had a great career in high school, it appears Penn State did not make a play for him and Ohio State got him on the cheap as a result. 

Since arriving he's been much better than many people expected   As a true frosh, he was a smallish 141 who made round of 12 and  he has placed top four the last two seasons.  He's improved consistently to where he is now the clear #1 at a competitive 141 pound wt class.  Pletcher is hardly a strong #1 and if I had to wager money on him or the field, the field would be my pick.  But I am proud to root for this kid because he represents everything we love about the sport in that through hard work and dedication he has made himself into an excellent competitor.   

8 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Luke Pletcher has been a find for the Buckeyes.  While he had a great career in high school, it appears Penn State did not make a play for him and Ohio State got him on the cheap as a result. 

Since arriving he's been much better than many people expected   As a true frosh, he was a smallish 141 who made round of 12 and  he has placed top four the last two seasons.  He's improved consistently to where he is now the clear #1 at a competitive 141 pound wt class.  Pletcher is hardly a strong #1 and if I had to wager money on him or the field, the field would be my pick.  But I am proud to root for this kid because he represents everything we love about the sport in that through hard work and dedication he has made himself into an excellent competitor.   

I agree with your post but Pletcher was a stud in HS with the only HS win over Yianni(could be wrong).  Hardly a diamond in the rough type of wrestler but I do like what he has done.  We will see how him and Lee do against each other this year because they will be competing for a Title.

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

His bonus % is almost double what it was last year.

And the only regular decisions he’s had that were not against top 10 guys are against Stricker from Harvard and Baughman 2x.

And Real Woods.  But regardless, he has like 6 regular decisions wins, 4 of them were against non top 10 opponents.  I'm not trying to bag on Pletch Lives, but I'm not sure what you were going for here.

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

And Real Woods.  But regardless, he has like 6 regular decisions wins, 4 of them were against non top 10 opponents.  I'm not trying to bag on Pletch Lives, but I'm not sure what you were going for here.

Woods should be top 10 so I wasn’t counting him

Edited by 1032004

12 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Yeah good old Tom Ryan really went out on a limb for a 4x PA AAA finalist and 3x champ!  Risky gambit indeed!    

On 12/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, silvermedal said:

Pletcher has been a big name since youth wrestling. He had a phenomenal HS career; he made the finals and won at many premier events/tournaments against top-tier competition (Super 32, Flonationals, Who's #1, PIAA AAA). He was also a consensus top-10 recruit in 2016, and had Penn State as one of his top-5 schools. 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:10 PM, pennsyrules said:

I agree with your post but Pletcher was a stud in HS with the only HS win over Yianni(could be wrong).  Hardly a diamond in the rough type of wrestler but I do like what he has done.  We will see how him and Lee do against each other this year because they will be competing for a Title.

He wasn’t aggressively recruited even though he was known and ranked relatively highly in his class. 

I think coaches underestimated him and didn’t go after him hard, except for tOSU. He is extremely loyal to them partially for believing in him early. 

Since I saw Pletcher wrestle in HS, I was always impressed with his motor. Consistently moving and attacking.

I really wanted Ryan to RS him his freshmen year. But he surpassed my expectations, even while being up a weight class and making the round of 12.

The last 2 seasons he has done nothing but improve and finishing fourth in back 2 back seasons in a ridiculously tough weight class.

Luke Pletcher is wrestling as well as anyone in the country right now and should be the favorite going into March.

1 hour ago, Cruiser94 said:

Since I saw Pletcher wrestle in HS, I was always impressed with his motor. Consistently moving and attacking.

I really wanted Ryan to RS him his freshmen year. But he surpassed my expectations, even while being up a weight class and making the round of 12.

The last 2 seasons he has done nothing but improve and finishing fourth in back 2 back seasons in a ridiculously tough weight class.

Luke Pletcher is wrestling as well as anyone in the country right now and should be the favorite going into March.

I think he and Nick Lee will have 3 amazing matches in the dual meet, then big ten and national finals.  I predict Lee wins 2 out of 3.

5 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I think he and Nick Lee will have 3 amazing matches in the dual meet, then big ten and national finals.  I predict Lee wins 2 out of 3.

Lee can win his title next year. I want Pletcher to go out with a title. He would’ve easily been a 4 time AA if he hadn’t gone up a weight and competed his true freshman year 

On 12/9/2019 at 6:59 AM, 1032004 said:

Woods should be top 10 so I wasn’t counting him

bump.

But on the topic of Pletcher, he will be tested some more with his B10 schedule coming up assuming these matches happen:

Intermat rankings:
#10 Moran on 1/17

#7 Murin on 1/24

#3 McKee on 1/26

#6 Red on 2/2

#2 Lee on 2/15

On 1/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, 1032004 said:

bump.

But on the topic of Pletcher, he will be tested some more with his B10 schedule coming up assuming these matches happen:

Intermat rankings:
#10 Moran on 1/17

#7 Murin on 1/24

#3 McKee on 1/26

#6 Red on 2/2

#2 Lee on 2/15

Pletch beat the tar out of Red at CKLV didn't he?  Woods is gonna be top 4 come march.  He's nails.

12 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Pletch beat the tar out of Red at CKLV didn't he?  Woods is gonna be top 4 come march.  He's nails.

Yup. Woods is a title threat. Given his schedule, he will likely be the 3 seed, so he should have a good draw until the quarters or so. Not sure 141 has any easy draws though   

Zach Sherman is another guy who will podium

12 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I think so, he’s already beaten McKee too, but still a tough stretch regardless, ending with the showdown with Lee

Edited by 1032004

11 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yup. Woods is a title threat. Given his schedule, he will likely be the 3 seed, so he should have a good draw until the quarters or so. Not sure 141 has any easy draws though   

Zach Sherman is another guy who will podium

I didn’t realize McKee is 20-1 with his only loss to Pletcher and a win over Demas.  He also has a tough upcoming schedule with Pletcher, Lee, Murin and Red potentially.

They could beat up each other, and I forget the exact math for seeding but seems possible that Pletcher, Lee and McKee get the top 3 with Woods no higher than 4 right?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I didn’t realize McKee is 20-1 with his only loss to Pletcher and a win over Demas.  He also has a tough upcoming schedule with Pletcher, Lee, Murin and Red potentially.

They could beat up each other, and I forget the exact math for seeding but seems possible that Pletcher, Lee and McKee get the top 3 with Woods no higher than 4 right?

McKee will most likely have 4 5 loses by the end of the year, real woods doesn’t wrestle another ranked guy til maybe PAC 12s , more then likely it’ll be the winner of lee pletcher as the undefeated 1 the loser as the 2, Woods as the 3 and guys like demas, red, McKee , leeth battling for the 4 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

McKee will most likely have 4 5 loses by the end of the year, real woods doesn’t wrestle another ranked guy til maybe PAC 12s , more then likely it’ll be the winner of lee pletcher as the undefeated 1 the loser as the 2, Woods as the 3 and guys like demas, red, McKee , leeth battling for the 4 

But isn’t winning % only like 10% of seeding criteria?   McKee could have more Quality wins than Woods, and could potentially have a higher ranking if his only losses are to Pletcher and Lee.  Not sure how RPI is calculated.

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But isn’t winning % only like 10% of seeding criteria?   McKee could have more Quality wins than Woods, and could potentially have a higher ranking if his only losses are to Pletcher and Lee.  Not sure how RPI is calculated.

Idk if they changed the formula a bit when they started seeding all 33 last year, but for example in 2018 and undefeated David McFadden was seeded ahead of cenzo the returning champ because cenzo had 2 loses to Imar, even though cenzo had wrestled a tougher schedule.