Sign in to follow this  
lugogo

Was this a pin?

If it is anyone other than a PSU guy like Mark Hall, then maybe it is called.  I'd say about 5% of the time.  I just don't think he held him there/stuffed him in that position to get that call.  Because it is someone of that caliber, there is 0% chance it is called.

Happens about 2:15 in the video.  Actually around 2:30 they show the replay on the board and probably has a better view (initial camera work was a little shaky).  Honestly kinda looks like it IMO (and the ref was in position to see it BTW).

Edited by 1032004

Definitely not a pin and definitely referee was in position. I think those who said he was on the other side are confusing the asst with the whistle(who comes into the screen from the other side opposite the whistle, also in correct position). 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Definitely not a pin and definitely referee was in position. I think those who said he was on the other side are confusing the asst with the whistle(who comes into the screen from the other side opposite the whistle, also in correct position). 

I think he was not in the best spot right when the shoulders hit the mat, but then they spun around (and IMO this is where it was closest to a pin anyway) and he was in position to call that if he wanted to.

Edited by 1032004

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Happens about 2:15 in the video.  Actually around 2:30 they show the replay on the board and probably has a better view (initial camera work was a little shaky).  Honestly kinda looks like it IMO (and the ref was in position to see it BTW).

Appears photo from first time shoulders down, if a pin it's the second time in the video.   Certainly could be called if ref looking for it but also seen plenty where no call because ref not looking from beginning.  But does it really matter, it's all just practice til, March and ddm. 

22 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

college falls are 1 seconds, and according to those rules, could've been called a pin. Clearly met the criteria for a pin IMO

He wasn't held there for one second, he just landed there ... and rolled out of it. 

33 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He wasn't held there for one second, he just landed there ... and rolled out of it. 

He landed there and was there during the process of the roll IMO which looked like the shoulders were down for a second.   

I don’t think that gets called at NCAA’s, but I could see it getting called in a dual between 2 Unranked guys or something.

If you crank a guy over with a half and hold him for that long, it's a pin. But Hall wasn't held there as his motion wasn't ever really stopped, even though both shoulders look to have been in contact with the mat for 1 sec. I don't see that scenario ever getting called.

16 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He landed there and was there during the process of the roll IMO which looked like the shoulders were down for a second.   

I don’t think that gets called at NCAA’s, but I could see it getting called in a dual between 2 Unranked guys or something.

So you think refs should be trained to call it different when a dual between 2 unranked wrestlers, is that for all scoring or only pins? And yes it has been called in the NCAA tournament.

2 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

If you crank a guy over with a half and hold him for that long, it's a pin. But Hall wasn't held there as his motion wasn't ever really stopped, even though both shoulders look to have been in contact with the mat for 1 sec. I don't see that scenario ever getting called.

I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't likely be called often. I was doing the broadcast and thought it was close and could have been called. I feel the same after viewing here.

However, moving around isn't something that prevents a fall being called. How often are wrestlers dead still? Unless what you mean is that you think he moved off his shoulders. I agree with others here that the first time he was down was probably not a fall but the second time is where it might be called.