NJDan

Who is Gordan Ryan?

Very intriguing, Bo basically evaded the whole time because the ruleset means that you need to engage after taking someone down.  Gordan hit some scissor sweeps early but couldn't use leg locks and couldn't get to a dominant position.  Then he kept baiting Bo into taking him down with Bo not taking the bait until finally Bo gave him a 5 point suplex, after which he got triangled after about 1 minute on the mat.

It was a stupid concept to begin with. No had almost no chance to win. Ryan said it himself, i was mostly a BJJ match. What was Bo supposed to do? He was going forward or the only way he could win, wait until the final minute to take him down and hold position like crazy to not get subbed. But Ryan is world class and took the slight opening he got and it was over like that. 

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

either way... what this proves is that in a "grappling" rule set bo is at least competitive... in a "wrestling" ruleset ryan is getting raped...

In the history of this forum, there has never been a truer statement

8 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It was a stupid concept to begin with. No had almost no chance to win. Ryan said it himself, i was mostly a BJJ match. What was Bo supposed to do? He was going forward or the only way he could win, wait until the final minute to take him down and hold position like crazy to not get subbed. But Ryan is world class and took the slight opening he got and it was over like that. 

Shhh. The last time people here said these crossover matches were dumb, the people from flo posted here about how huge the ratings were and how there were many more in the works. They weren’t willing to provide any numbers or evidence for the success, but why should any of us doubt them? Personally, I’m still waiting for the crossover with flomarching. 

But yeah, more wrestling content from Flo would be nice rather that whatever this crap was. At least somebody can make a really funny gif of the bjj guy backing up into Bo and then getting tossed. 

My god, what is with all of the whining and hate?  Suck it up buttercups.  If BJJ isn't your cup of tea then don't watch.  The match wasn't the most action packed but it was intellectually interesting at the very least, unlike some of the posts in this thread.

18 minutes ago, lost said:

Suck it up buttercups.

Why shouldnt we show our dislike for this? Saying we dont like something isnt a sign of weakness and doesnt make us complainers or whiners. Flo is a service a lot of us on here pay for and our opinions should matter to them. There are ways to promote wrestling and ways to promote grappling. This aint it IMO and apparently others feel this way too.

I think this will answer a couple questions:

1.  I know flo likes to judge popularity by social media follows, and this dude does have 229K followers so he must be fairly popular.

2.  He does claim that Bo tapped out. 

Also, apparently he replied back to someone else saying that the 2 points earlier in the match were for some sort of fleeing the mat call.

And is calling Nickal "a D1 All-American" the understatement of the century or what?

Here is Bo's response BTW:

Good win man that was a fun match. As far as “takedowns” idk what you’re referring to because you took me down 0 times. I was actually pretty surprised they gave you points. Have to end on top for a takedown we were still scrambling. Good match though man we can run it back ASAP.

Gordon's insta post is a joke. 

Bo could take him down at will if they were wrestling only, so he shouldn't act as if he is better at TD's than Bo when he is not. The only reason it would seem Bo didn't just start taking him down from the first minute was to stay out of the bjj guard Gordon wanted, which favored Gordon. 

Bo would TF him in a true wrestling match, and a high end MMA guy would strike him senseless in MMA. Just my $0.02. 

He is great at bjj. Won't deny that one bit. 

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I know flo likes to judge popularity by social media follows, and this dude does have 229K followers so he must be fairly popular.

If flo thinks that this guy is going to have any crossover appeal they are sadly mistaken. This is one of the most followed guy in BJJ? He is crass, argues in insta comments, has a penchant for getting political, and likely is on roids.

Wrestling's most followed athlete is JB. Could they be any different?

25 minutes ago, russelscout said:

If flo thinks that this guy is going to have any crossover appeal they are sadly mistaken. This is one of the most followed guy in BJJ? He is crass, argues in insta comments, has a penchant for getting political, and likely is on roids.

Wrestling's most followed athlete is JB. Could they be any different?

Well said, russelscout.