Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

What does Bo know?

What is the attraction for Bo in getting involved in the grappling event. It did not look like a big crowd-- was it? It was not on TV. So is there much money involved. Had he won, would his status be raised? Would there be a way to cash in? On the negative side, was there a fair chance of getting hurt?

These are serious questions?

8 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

He claims an olympic run....but seems to have other priorities. Likes to hear his own name?

I think those priorities include earning a living.   Maybe the slush fund isn’t as big as we thought...

I mean it’s not like he dedicated a lot of training to this.  I think it was only a couple weeks from when it was announced to when it happened 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:28 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

He aspires to do MMA professionally, and possibly as soon as next year. He may have a brand in wrestling but is a literal nobody in MMA. This was a way to get his name out and get paid a bit in the process. 

This. 

Bo's not looking for a slow start so he's adding to the resume.  Same thing Pico did becoming a top MMA prospect because of his accomplishments.  More hype, more options, bigger pay day.  Better to get paid early before you realize you don't have a chin.

I keep seeing this from the wrestling community. I’m not sure why, but wrestling fans seem to think BJJ isn’t popular. 

BJJ athletes are often more popular than wrestlers. Top BJJ guys have way bigger followings than anyone outside of JB. They aren’t famous outside of BJJ circles for the most part, but that is a relatively large community with strong followings in Brazil, USA, parts of Europe, Canada, Australia, South Korea and Japan. 

They don’t drive a ton of attendance to events generally, and similarly to wrestling there aren’t many fans outside of people who train, but it is a strong and growing sport. 

The top BJJ guys get paid more than the top wrestlers, at least in the US too. Gordon Ryan makes many times what JB does, besides maybe in an Olympic year when JB wins gold (if he does in 2020). Gordon is pretty open about it, and is pulling in over a million a year. Looks like next year he may cross $2 million. 

Bo had more to gain than Gordon did from that match. BJJ fans also spend way more than wrestling fans on gear, so sponsors are much easier to get for high level guys. 

Most BJJ fans are also MMA fans. Bo is opening an mma gym in state college and is pursuing his mma career after the Olympics. Way more mma fans now know his name. If he had won, it would’ve been even crazier for him. 

All in all, this was a smart move for Bo

Unbiased observation - BJJ is far from a big money sport. The other night, one of the biggest - if not THE biggest - name in BJJ was on the card.  Other big names(e.g. Jake Shields) were on the card.  We all know Flo paid nil to broadcast it and it looked as if it were held in a modified bar. I looked up the capacity and ticket prices - < 1300 and $40 GA. 

31 minutes ago, mspart said:

Oh ok.  I didn't see that.  I just saw him smash Gordons head to the floor and then it was over.   Thanks for the info.

mspart

I thought you were messing around...that's what the bottom sentence was about.

He did tap though, seconds after he smashed his melon into the mat.

Edited by Mphillips

6 hours ago, grappler111 said:
14 hours ago, Mphillips said:
I thought you were messing around...that's what the bottom sentence was about.
He did tap though, seconds after he smashed his melon into the mat.

He was forced to fight on the ground...

There was no, 'fight' after Bo dropped him on his head which in turn tightened up the hold where Bo had to tap.