lost

Iowa vs Princeton

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I predict Deakin turns the tide in his series with Young this year. 

He won the first meeting last year.  It's not as bad a stylistic matchup for Young, though.  Not that Young is a guaranteed win over Deakin in the slightest.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I know.   But it's not like Lee  is skipping a tournament where he'd wrestle 3 or 4 matches.   This is 1 dual meet.   12 days should be plenty of time to recover from ~7 minutes of wrestling IMO.

Edit: Unless of course Lee is still battling the mystery disease.  Or if he's got some nagging injuries or something (which is possible judging by the giant brace)

How many teams dual 12 days before NCAA's?

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don't buy that Spencer Lee is '"training extra hard". He's training the same as usual, and he probably usually trains harder/more efficiently than anybody else in the room. This is just another Tommy duck.

Regarding ducking, it's the coach's prerogative. I don't judge Brands for it, he'll do however he sees best for his team. The fans don't like it, we like to see good matches between good wrestlers. But as a wrestler I would've laughed in my coach's face if he tried to have me dodge someone, and I bet it annoys Lee as well.

I'll stipulate that for the point of the argument and it still doesn't address the point. This dual is a 2-3 day interruption in that "training as usual" because of the travel. Not ideal 12 days out from the open.

30 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He won the first meeting last year.  It's not as bad a stylistic matchup for Young, though.  Not that Young is a guaranteed win over Deakin in the slightest.

It just looks like Young is energy challenged as LemonPie hints at while Deakin looks great right now. I would favor Deakin after what I saw from him yesterday vs Hidlay. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

It just looks like Young is energy challenged as LemonPie hints at while Deakin looks great right now. I would favor Deakin after what I saw from him yesterday vs Hidlay. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with picking Deakin, but I think Young looks about how he looks.  He looked a little low energy last yar to start the season, and it's definitely a pull.  In short, it's not much different than he looked against Monday last year.  

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with picking Deakin, but I think Young looks about how he looks.  He looked a little low energy last yar to start the season, and it's definitely a pull.  In short, it's not much different than he looked against Monday last year.  

A lot of coaches will say "If you aren't getting better then you're actually getting worse". The theory being that everyone else, or a lot of your future opponents anyway, they are getting better. If he looks the same as last year maybe some others have caught up and passed him, or will eventually be passing him. He's still and AA for certain, but is he top 3? I don't see it. 

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

A lot of coaches will say "If you aren't getting better then you're actually getting worse". The theory being that everyone else, or a lot of your future opponents anyway, they are getting better. If he looks the same as last year maybe some others have caught up and passed him, or will eventually be passing him. He's still and AA for certain, but is he top 3? I don't see it. 

Do you consider Quincy Monday a certain AA this year?

Well, I would never count out PSU, I think if Iowa wins the title this year it’s going to take some phenomenal wrestling by all the Hawkeyes. 
On a side note, I am very excited to see Spencer competing at the US Open. 

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Do you consider Quincy Monday a certain AA this year?

Interestingly, no. He's far less consistent than Young. The fact Young lost to him hurts Young more than it helps Monday, at least imo and for now. That could change. 

5 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well, I would never count out PSU, I think if Iowa wins the title this year it’s going to take some phenomenal wrestling by all the Hawkeyes. 
On a side note, I am very excited to see Spencer competing at the US Open. 

The thing with Iowa is that some of the guys they count on win a lot of 1 point matches. That eventually comes back to bite you. 

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Interestingly, no. He's far less consistent than Young. The fact Young lost to him hurts Young more than it helps Monday, at least imo and for now. That could change. 

The impact of this match, seeding wise, can be completely undone at Midlands.

5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Yes, I do. 

I am going to state this for the record. Considering Gilman is in Russia, Patrick Glory would be a tougher win for Lee than anyone he could possibly be wrestling today back in Iowa. But yeah, they should keep trying to convince themselves that what ever he's doing in Iowa is better prep for the US Open than wrestling Patrick Glory today. 

I guess maybe they have him trying to fend off that monster Gavin Teasdale and his killer head pinch. Yeah, that's comparable. 

So let me get this straight, you feel wrestling folkstyle is better practice for the us open, then focusing on freestyle? If lee doesn't wrestle the open, then i can buy the "duck". If he wrestles the us open, focusing on freestyle the weeks leading up kinda makes sense.