nhs67

Parris over Gwiz?

I remember when we had Big Bruce ad Tom Erickson and one other guy that was really good, but I can't remember who it was.  Anyway, this group may or may not have a champion among them when it's all said and done, but I don't remember being 5 or 6 deep in what I would consider potential medalists at 285.

I don't know if it's Parris but you guys must have someone better than Gwiz out there. Sure he's a 2x world medalist but in 2017 the field was weak as hell and in 2018 he got a draw from the gods (and the field was still weak, though not as weak).

He's basically 50/50 against second tier guys like Mohebbi/Deng/Khizriev/Khotsiani (top tier being Geno Taha and Hadi) and now that's barely true with Zare teching him and Russia seems to have a good guy at 125kg again with Gazzaev. 

35 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I don't know if it's Parris but you guys must have someone better than Gwiz out there. Sure he's a 2x world medalist but in 2017 the field was weak as hell and in 2018 he got a draw from the gods (and the field was still weak, though not as weak).

He's basically 50/50 against second tier guys like Mohebbi/Deng/Khizriev/Khotsiani (top tier being Geno Taha and Hadi) and now that's barely true with Zare teching him and Russia seems to have a good guy at 125kg again with Gazzaev. 

Gwiz will at best be our rep for one more year. Gable and Parris will surpass him quickly if they haven’t already. 

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I think they were both one-point matches or maybe even criteria.

Yeah both on criteria I think, but when Gable recently went 0-2 against the same guy that Zare just teched within 3 mins it's not a great sign for Gable's ability to take over as US rep and compete for a medal any time soon (though at his age he could improve quickly so never say never). FWIW, I think Parris is/will be your best guy at 125kg and hope to see him at some senior events soon to confirm that

21 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Yeah both on criteria I think, but when Gable recently went 0-2 against the same guy that Zare just teched within 3 mins it's not a great sign for Gable's ability to take over as US rep and compete for a medal any time soon (though at his age he could improve quickly so never say never). FWIW, I think Parris is/will be your best guy at 125kg and hope to see him at some senior events soon to confirm that

I don't think he's even top 5 right now. Top 10 may even be a stretch.

1) Gwiz

2) Steveson

3) Bradley

4) Nelson

5) Coon

6) Rey

7) Cassar

8) Cassiopi

9) Kerkvliet

10) Parris

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

1) Gwiz

2) Steveson

3) Bradley

4) Nelson

5) Coon

6) Rey

7) Cassar

8) Cassiopi

9) Kerkvliet

10) Parris

Lol my god Parris is being underestimated. This will provide a good bump come April. 

3 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Lol my god Parris is being underestimated. This will provide a good bump come April. 

No. I am tempering my extremely biased expectations by understanding and respecting that these toons have much more experience on the freestyle scene. By rights Wood and Hall and Orndorff all have more Senior level accolades here in the states.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

No. I am tempering my extremely biased expectations by understanding and respecting that these toons have much more experience on the freestyle scene. By rights Wood and Hall and Orndorff all have more Senior level accolades here in the states.

Meh, at some point you’ve got to get away from just looking at experience. Even accomplishments aren’t always telling. Watch them wrestle side by side. Parris simply looks better than most of the names you mentioned. Reminds me of everyone thinking Bo was an underdog heading into U23 because he didn’t have any major accomplishments on the international scene. Just watching him wrestle, even against lesser US competition, was enough to know he was world class. No different than favoring Lee next year over someone like Gilman. 

1 minute ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Meh, at some point you’ve got to get away from just looking at experience. Even accomplishments aren’t always telling. Watch them wrestle side by side. Parris simply looks better than most of the names you mentioned. Reminds me of everyone thinking Bo was an underdog heading into U23 because he didn’t have any major accomplishments on the international scene. Just watching him wrestle, even against lesser US competition, was enough to know he was world class. No different than favoring Lee next year over someone like Gilman. 

That comparison doesn't make much sense to me as Lee has 3 world titles.

2 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

I would rather folks underestimate Parris.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I stand corrected.

What was the controversy of it?

Geno almost teched Zare in the first period via gut wrench, but didn't get it then in the second period seemed totally spent and Zare took over. I posted a video of the match on the Iran thread 

Edited by The Genius

21 hours ago, nhs67 said:

1) Gwiz

2) Steveson

3) Bradley

4) Nelson

5) Coon

6) Rey

7) Cassar

8) Cassiopi

9) Kerkvliet

10) Parris

I guess we’ll see but I see Parris a lot higher than that when it matters. He not only won a Junior World title, he absolutely crushed everyone on his path to gold. Who on the bottom half of that list has anything close to as impressive a performance in the past year? And Coon is higher than 5th, no worse than 3rd imo, if he attempts to make the team in Free which it doesn’t seem like he will. Classic example of a very inexperienced wrestler in general compared to his peers, due to playing 3 sports and not wrestling in the summer, who is a very good athlete and now concentrated on wrestling full time. He’s made a msssive leap since he came to Ann Arbor, anyone who watched him lose to Cassioppi in Junior free after his senior year compared to how he looked at Junior Worlds can see that. Give him another 6+ of continued development and watch out.

10 hours ago, Divided42 said:

I guess we’ll see but I see Parris a lot higher than that when it matters. He not only won a Junior World title, he absolutely crushed everyone on his path to gold. Who on the bottom half of that list has anything close to as impressive a performance in the past year? And Coon is higher than 5th, no worse than 3rd imo, if he attempts to make the team in Free which it doesn’t seem like he will. Classic example of a very inexperienced wrestler in general compared to his peers, due to playing 3 sports and not wrestling in the summer, who is a very good athlete and now concentrated on wrestling full time. He’s made a msssive leap since he came to Ann Arbor, anyone who watched him lose to Cassioppi in Junior free after his senior year compared to how he looked at Junior Worlds can see that. Give him another 6+ of continued development and watch out.

You understand Coon lost to Nelson at WTT this year yes?

A little over a year ago Cassiopi ragdolled Parris in Freestyle for Juniors. Wasn't even close.

My list isn't THAT unfair.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...