nhs67

Parris over Gwiz?

45 minutes ago, Divided42 said:

I guess we’ll see but I see Parris a lot higher than that when it matters. He not only won a Junior World title, he absolutely crushed everyone on his path to gold. Who on the bottom half of that list has anything close to as impressive a performance in the past year? And Coon is higher than 5th, no worse than 3rd imo, if he attempts to make the team in Free which it doesn’t seem like he will. Classic example of a very inexperienced wrestler in general compared to his peers, due to playing 3 sports and not wrestling in the summer, who is a very good athlete and now concentrated on wrestling full time. He’s made a msssive leap since he came to Ann Arbor, anyone who watched him lose to Cassioppi in Junior free after his senior year compared to how he looked at Junior Worlds can see that. Give him another 6+ of continued development and watch out.

And is with one of the best developers of wrestling talent in the country. 

49 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You understand Coon lost to Nelson at WTT thisn year yes?

A little over a year ago Cassiopi ragdolled Parris in Freestyle for Juniors. Wasn't even close.

My list isn't THAT unfair.

It’s not that unfair at all I just disagree on parts of it. And yeah a year ago is a long time for a teenage wrestler, especially one who had only wrestled folk 3 months a year before he entered college. It was Parris’ first freestyle wrestling tournament ever, Cassioppi did ragdoll him, he clearly had massive advantage on freestyle experience, know how, skillset, and strength and has been going to every national tournament you could find for quite a while now. I commend him for that but it means he was already much farher along on his growth curve as a wrestler than Mason.

Edited by Divided42

38 minutes ago, AZ_wrestling said:

People are going to realize just how much better Parris has gotten when he wrestles Cassar. 

Unfortunately they don’t dual each other so we’ll probably have to wait until Big Tens. It was not remotely close last year, 19-8 Cassar domination with the takedowns being 6-1. I’m interested to see Cassioppi vs Parris as well.

We haven't seen anyone match his explosive power, specifically in the first period, yet this NCAA season.

Who can match and/or negate, or outhorse him?

Cassar outhorsed him last season. So badly he didn't need to negate him. The massive 300lbers won't be able to stall their way this year either. Only Cassar who MIGHT be able to outhorse him and Steveson who can likely negate will beat him more often than not.

The side-by-side from last year November to March isn't anywhere near as significant as March until now. It's impressive really.

14 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I stand corrected.

What was the controversy of it?

You can watch the Zare/Geno P match on the Iranian thread on this forum - Geno really died big time - I couldn't believe how he just completely shut down. 

Interesting, in the semis at Jr World championships, even the Russian Hwt couldn't stop Zare's bulldozing underhooks. Then again, nobody at Jr Worlds (or U23!) was able to counter Zare (except Parris). What Zare did to Gwiz, he did to a lot of others. So not writing off Nick just because of that one match with Zare. 

But anyway back to Parris, and his Jr World final against Zare. No one can stop Zare the whole tournament, then Parris hits 2 beautiful, different counters for scores and then into the pin. Really slick game plan and execution, although Zare did get 1 pushout. (FWIW, would love to see a killer lateral drop as a counter to that charging underhook too.  :D ) 

I have no idea where Parris is with Gwiz and USA's other top Hwt's right now, but won't be at all surprised if Parris comes out of the pack. Was really impressed with his freestyle technique at Jr Worlds.   

18 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

Was really impressed with his freestyle technique at Jr Worlds.   

I've watched him since his senior year in HS and you can see his improvement at every tourney he's wrestled.

Edited by Mphillips

Prior to last year’s big ten season I said I would not be surprised at all if Parris got one on GS at some point. I said maybe not when stakes are highest but some point along the line. My reasoning was because of his relative limited high level mat time to that point, and he was coming in with Bormet. I got laughed off the board. I get the feeling that general sentiment has changed. 

I’m a huge fan of Parris.  But if you look at Zare’s Track record other than that match and consider it a fluke, what he has done at the age of 18 is mind blowing.   Completely unprecedented for a heavyweight that young.

1 hour ago, Cradle1 said:

I’m a huge fan of Parris.  But if you look at Zare’s Track record other than that match and consider it a fluke, what he has done at the age of 18 is mind blowing.   Completely unprecedented for a heavyweight that young.

Didn't Parris turn 19 AFTER Juniors? So he lost to another 18 year old?

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Didn't Parris turn 19 AFTER Juniors? So he lost to another 18 year old?

Possibly. But in my mind beating a four time defending world champion and teching a two time bronze medalist Along with his other world titles gives him a pass on getting stuck one time. If the match Went the distance and he had lost decisively I’d see it differently.

That said, Paris is an awesome prospect and his own right and the battles between these great young heavyweights in the US are going to be epic. 

As others keep saying, Parris is still so raw as a wrestler in general. And he's an infant in terms of freestyle. I think anyone expecting him to be our guy for 2020 is going to be disappointed. However, it's silly to compare him to any freestyle results from 18 months ago. I'm not sure looking at his folk style results from last year are even relevant. He's on such a steep growth curve physically and technically that he doesn't even resemble the little kid we saw at NCAAs in March.

7 hours ago, maligned said:

As others keep saying, Parris is still so raw as a wrestler in general. And he's an infant in terms of freestyle. I think anyone expecting him to be our guy for 2020 is going to be disappointed. However, it's silly to compare him to any freestyle results from 18 months ago. I'm not sure looking at his folk style results from last year are even relevant. He's on such a steep growth curve physically and technically that he doesn't even resemble the little kid we saw at NCAAs in March.

I respectfully disagree.

Parris just won a Jr World gold medal, he's not that raw. Yes, Dom and Gable both won Jr World golds at Hwt too and they never won the Sr spot yet. Totally get that Parris is still developing and learning.

But after seeing Zare destroy everyone at Jr Worlds, except Parris, then U23's, then he completely dominates, shuts out and techs USA's current Sr Hwt in Gwiz at Alans, I think Parris will be right there with USA's best Hwt's.

And I don't think it was a fluke that Parris beat Zare. Mason had an answer to Zare's powerful underhook with 2 different beautiful counters. Also watching Parris in some scrambles, just loved some of his movements and technique. I thought Parris had better technique than Zare and to me, it looked like Parris was just more athletic than Zare. 

My only question is, will Parris just focus on folkstyle this season? 

Word I’ve gotten is whether or not he competes in the trials depends on how he does at NCAA’s. 

As for him being “raw”, I wouldn’t say he is now but he certainly was when he came into college. His development curve is still real high though. And as I’ve said before he has one of the best developers of talent in the country in his corner. He definitely has the goods that he could be the cream of the crop by the time they get 2022

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Word I’ve gotten is whether or not he competes in the trials depends on how he does at NCAA’s. 

As for him being “raw”, I wouldn’t say he is now but he certainly was when he came into college. His development curve is still real high though. And as I’ve said before he has one of the best developers of talent in the country in his corner. He definitely has the goods that he could be the cream of the crop by the time they get 2022

Even though is is already qualified regardless of NCAAs?