Sign in to follow this  
Dr.White

Jake Varner has the last laugh

I am posting this for Adolf Oliverbush; someone I befriended on themat and we continue to remain friends to this day.

I generally don't have as much free time for posting as most of you do, with my business operations, travels, parenting, and social activity.

One topic I recall clearly is the hate and disrespect Jake Varner has received on this and other boards. All the kid has done is place 4 times @ the CAHS state series, including winning it twice, a senior national runner up in HS, a national freestyle title as a redshirt frosh over Jake Herbert, 4 NCAA division 1 finals, including 2 championships, an undefeated college season, 3 US Open freestyle titles, a world bronze medal and an Olympic championship. That doesn't include his conference titles, WTT titles or OTT titles.

But in spite of his impressive resume, humble attitude, and complete and total

focus on the mat, he has been snubbed over and over again for awards. Anyone remember some kid from Minnesota fighting to barely win an NCAA title and having the Hodge trophy given to him over a dominant Jake Varner who surrendered no points in his tournament run, defended his NCAA title, won a senior freestyle title prior to his senior year, and was a Pan Am games champion? Yeah so do I. But the real loser was the Hodge award as it lost a great deal of prestige and credibility with true and knowledgeable fans. In fact, the NCAA shortly thereafter created their own award seemingly in an effort to get it right and avoid the clear favoritism and bias that was becoming the norm with the Hodge trophy. Let's not forget it was also given to a wrestler who was pinned during the season, over an undefeated national champion.

Varner was also passed over in favor of Jake Herbert for the wrestler of the year award, (not certain but I believe it was by USA wrestling) in spite of Varner going unbeaten and unscored upon during the freestyle season, winning an NCAA title, qualifying for the USA world team as a college junior, and while being on a winning streak over Herbert in both freestyle and folkstyle. In defense of Herbert, upset fans claimed Varner's wins were over an "out of shape" Herbert, "Herbert didn't really care about the Midlands final", and Varner had a "weak" weight class at WTT.

Varner has been called "Varnish", boring, and even accused of not going all out in order to help his team win. Now while this is all ridiculous, it did in fact happen. And how did that "boring, conservative" style work for him in London? Just Golden, that's how it worked.

As a big man myself, I have come to really appreciate his style and recognize his will, drive, and athleticism. He may not be my favorite, but there is no denying his ability and accomplishments. As other now claim it is "luck" what allowed him to capture the gold, I just sit

back and laugh at the ignorance, hatred, and jealousy. I tell what, Brent and the kid from Minnesota, (I do not remember his name) can have their Hodge titles and accolades on this and other boards, Varner will have to settle for his Olympic Gold Medal.

I'm kinda one of them (not on this particular post...but in general). I always kinda silo'd him into that "i'll take a ball grab" grouping.

I can't believe he beat that guy from Georgia. The more I watched that guy....he was incredible.

I rewatched Varner's match....and Varner is a moose to score on....and picked his spots wisely (a tactic employed by the best). Gotta give the man his props.....earned every piece of his Olympic Title.

#Varneronconan

First I like to say congratulations to Jake Varner. An Olympic Gold is simply amazing, no question about it. However I'm getting a little tired of all of the talk of how Jake was screwed out of the Hodge. I know this was discussed beyond reason at the end of the 2010 season but some people can’t seem to move on.

First of all that wrestler from Minnesota was Jason Ness, a four time All American with 73 career pins. His senior year he finished 31-0 with 19 pins. Not just one but two groups felt he was the best that year. He was named Outstanding Wrestler of the Championships and the Hodge winner. Congratulations again Jake. Now let’s try to move on.

silverback

JaysON Ness is a fine athlete and person, as far as I'm concerned. I agree though, lets let it go. There is NO argument on who the better wrestler is at any style, and there is no debate on who has the better resume, (any style). At this point, the Hodge committee did their talking with their actions and Jake Varner did the same exact thing this weekend. I'm sure Ness treasures that plaque and I have no doubt he'd toss it in the fire place if he could have an Olympic Gold Medal, lets toss the argument in the fire place as well.

First I like to say congratulations to Jake Varner. An Olympic Gold is simply amazing, no question about it. However I'm getting a little tired of all of the talk of how Jake was screwed out of the Hodge. I know this was discussed beyond reason at the end of the 2010 season but some people can’t seem to move on.

First of all that wrestler from Minnesota was Jason Ness, a four time All American with 73 career pins. His senior year he finished 31-0 with 19 pins. Not just one but two groups felt he was the best that year. He was named Outstanding Wrestler of the Championships and the Hodge winner. Congratulations again Jake. Now let’s try to move on.

silverback

Jason Ness was seconds away from losing in the finals!!!

This thread is bordering on nonsense...

Congratulations Jake Varner - your gold medal effort is not only a great accomplishment for you personally, but you're a fantastic representative for the USA and someone young wrestlers can look up to as a role model.

Jayson Ness - you were the Hodge winner and had an amazing year en route to the award. Your performance in the NCAA finals will belong on the all time highlight reel as an example of 'never stop wrestling.'

There's no last laugh here. Let's not compare apples to oranges. Both accomplishments are highly commendable. One is neither better or worse than the other, they are both awesome.

Jake and Jyson are both super representatives of our favorite sport.

c'mon guys. to suggest in retrospect that someone should be given an award is stupid.

ness "almost' lost?

varner and metcalf lost in their conference finals that year.

ness didn't lose at all.

Wrong, Willie. Varner didn't lose a match that year. You're thinking of his junior year, when he lost twice (to Herbst at Midlands, to Brester at Big 12's).

silverback

That is one perspective, but if you watch that entire championship match, Ness was subjected to some very questionable calls (or non-calls) in that match, yet kept his composure and pulled out the win.

In the way you are sticking up for Varner you are totally disrespecting "that kid from Minnesota". The very thing you are complaining about. What's the difference?

Anyone with a more conservative wrestling style is going to be criticized by the more uneducated wrestling fans. Minnesota has had some of these over the years, but Jayson definetly was not one of them. The fact that you didn't even remember his name leads me to believe you never really saw him wrestle outside maybe 1 or 2 matches at the NCAA's. Him and Varner had identical 31-0 records that year, but Ness had 9 more pins. Why is it such a crime that he won the Hodge? Is it because you never heard of him?

silverback

That is one perspective, but if you watch that entire championship match, Ness was subjected to some very questionable calls (or non-calls) in that match, yet kept his composure and pulled out the win.

In the way you are sticking up for Varner you are totally disrespecting "that kid from Minnesota". The very thing you are complaining about. What's the difference?

Anyone with a more conservative wrestling style is going to be criticized by the more uneducated wrestling fans. Minnesota has had some of these over the years, but Jayson definetly was not one of them. The fact that you didn't even remember his name leads me to believe you never really saw him wrestle outside maybe 1 or 2 matches at the NCAA's. Him and Varner had identical 31-0 records that year, but Ness had 9 more pins. Why is it such a crime that he won the Hodge? Is it because you never heard of him?

The comeback was amazing, incredible composure. He must have trained that many times without using it until he needed it most.

I don't remember any questionable calls (sorry). He's very good and he dominated most, but the finals proved he was mortal, while even if the score was close, Varner seemed untouchable every time, all year long.

Lookup the criteria for the Hodge again. Not only pins and dominance, but sportsmanship. If you're going to pick on Ness, you need to pick on Varner's sportsmanship record. I do believe he flipped off the Iowa staff and team on at least one occasion.

Edit: Dang it, we shouldn't be having this stupid argument.

Lookup the criteria for the Hodge again. Not only pins and dominance, but sportsmanship. If you're going to pick on Ness, you need to pick on Varner's sportsmanship record. I do believe he flipped off the Iowa staff and team on at least one occasion.

Edit: Dang it, we shouldn't be having this stupid argument.

As an Iowan I can tell you that we have a long and glorious history of being flipped off. Varner's one of many. Besides he took a LOT of crap from the Hawk fans. No big deal.

Agree this is stupid discussion. Many great wrestler never won the Hodge.

The comeback was amazing, incredible composure. He must have trained that many times without using it until he needed it most.

I don't remember any questionable calls (sorry). He's very good and he dominated most, but the finals proved he was mortal, while even if the score was close, Varner seemed untouchable every time, all year long.

Again, you demonstrate that you didn't watch any of Ness' matches with runner-up Dennis. He dominated Dennis twice earlier in the year, putting Dennis on his back in both meetings including the Big10 final.

Give Dennis a little respect. In 2010 he cleared out Franklin Gomez in both the Big Tens and nationals -- he beat Gomez four straight times. He made life a little easier for Ness.

Ness deserved his title and Hodge award; Varner got his Gold; and Dennis is tough. No argument necessary.

those of you talking about the criteria for sportsmanship need to also remember that another criteria is past accomplishments. Varner crushes everyone in college in this department. Not only a 4 time finalist, 2 time champion, undefeated and shutting everyone down, he was also a world team member and US open national freestyle champion. Only Schlatter comes close but Ness not even in the same planet. But he was a better sport...

The Ness boy was a great story, it's a shame that so many hated Varner so much that they would ignore the obvious and snub him over and over.

I think, like many others, that his "redshirting" in high school was BS. And it was.

It diminished his HS accomplichments. In college and Olympics I think not.

As an olympian, age doesn't matter. You can be 21 or 42. He was dominent. Congrats to him and Cael. Great job.

Again, you demonstrate that you didn't watch any of Ness' matches with runner-up Dennis. He dominated Dennis twice earlier in the year, putting Dennis on his back in both meetings including the Big10 final.

I watched the Big 10 final for sure and I'm sure I watched their other meeting as well (a dual I presume).

Perhaps I don't remember every score like you do, or consult stat sheets before making posts to seem all-knowing, but I do remember Ness being seconds away from not being national champion. He would not have received the Hodge without it and I don't remember Varner being in a situation like that.

Winning the conference finals decisively doesn't mean much when the finals goes the other way (as it almost did in this match). Do you think Hazewinkel should have been considered for it when he lost to Donahoe?

Let's go back and ask Metcalf to hand it over to Burroughs

although this was sarcasm, we were talking about someone who didn't end up being national champion. So this argument wasn't very good either.

Moving on with the vast majority. Good arguments debate champ. Yep.

----

Wasn't life so much simpler when it was just Metcalf getting all the attacks?

But seriously, I would say a case could be made for Gavin in 2008, and a case could also be made for Varner in 2010. I understand both sides of the argument. Sometimes it's a close call.

Jmho, but I think the Hodge going to Metcalf in '08 and Ness in '10 were the best choices.

In the bigger picture, I'm sure most anyone would value an Olympic gold higher than a Hodge, but each is a stellar accomplishment and worthy of respect.

Time to move on.

This thread is bordering on nonsense...

Congratulations Jake Varner - your gold medal effort is not only a great accomplishment for you personally, but you're a fantastic representative for the USA and someone young wrestlers can look up to as a role model.

Jayson Ness - you were the Hodge winner and had an amazing year en route to the award. Your performance in the NCAA finals will belong on the all time highlight reel as an example of 'never stop wrestling.'

There's no last laugh here. Let's not compare apples to oranges. Both accomplishments are highly commendable. One is neither better or worse than the other, they are both awesome.

Jake and Jyson are both super representatives of our favorite sport.

This may be the single most ridiculous post I have EVER read on this board. Having the Hodge award given to you is equal to winning the Olympic Gold medal in the toughest weight in the world? Ha Ha Ha Ha. I don't imagine you will EVER get anyone to agree with you on that statement. Let me spell it out to you. Having the Hodge given to you over one of the most dominant and successful wrestlers of our era is not only an embarrassment, it is humiliating. Just consider the bias required in order to reach that conclusion. And that's why the Hodge has lost so much prestige. The fans see what it really is about. The Olympic Gold on the other hand, that one is forever.