Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

1982 NCAA Champions

19 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Naw. There are world champs on that list. Dr Death was probably best known amongst Americans, thanks to the built in TV audience for "rasslin".  Outside the USA nobody probably knows him unless they were particular fans of American wrestling. 

Williams was a great football player in college as well. He couldn't have wrestled today, thanks to the weight limit. 

Actually he was even more well known and popular in Japan as a pro.

1 hour ago, Cruiser94 said:

Dr.  Death Steve Williams was a part of Kevin Sullivan's Varsity Club that featured the Steiner Brothers from Michigan, Mike Rotunda from Syracuse as well as Steve Williams from Oklahoma. All the wrestlers sported their college singlets during matches.

I would say Kenny Monday was pretty popular as well.

vc 2.jpg

Rechsteiner at Michigan, Steiner while a Pro.

When Dave Schultz was a freshman at OSU, I thought he was going to become the first 4X Champion.  Ironically, a controversial match with Mark Churella was the difference as a freshman.  Several years later he wins his first and only NCAA title against the amazing Mike Sheets.  I say amazing, because he was.  Mike won 2 NCAA Championships after losing to Dave in OT.  In one of those seasons he outscored his opponents 56-0 or something close to that at the Championships.  His boy is starting for OSU in the Bedlam match this week-end.

On 12/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Peso said:

I knew Steve since high school.  In amateur wresting world, Kenny, Bruce, Dave, Mark, Barry, Nate, were all more popular than Dr Death.  In the entertainment industry, of course he was more popular.

Well put. How was this an argument?

7 hours ago, Peso said:

When Dave Schultz was a freshman at OSU, I thought he was going to become the first 4X Champion.  Ironically, a controversial match with Mark Churella was the difference as a freshman.  Several years later he wins his first and only NCAA title against the amazing Mike Sheets.  I say amazing, because he was.  Mike won 2 NCAA Championships after losing to Dave in OT.  In one of those seasons he outscored his opponents 56-0 or something close to that at the Championships.  His boy is starting for OSU in the Bedlam match this week-end.

What was the match with Churella?

While we’re at it, he lost by fall in NCAA finals the prior year to Ricky Stewart. I’ve never been able to get ahold of that match and find out what happened. Any idea ?

17 hours ago, Peso said:

More interesting than that is Wyatt wrestled Quincy Monday last weekend, looked like he might ride out for win or at least get riding time go to OT, but Monday got an escape won the match 3-2 with one takedown.  

I remember when Sheets and Monday were coming out of high school and being recruited (OSU landing both).  If memory is correct Monday had never lost (had one tie), Sheets had only lost once and tied once to the same wrestler (you do the math).  Monday started at 142 Fr year, wasn't really room for Sheets in the lineup as already two studs at 150 & 158.  The 167lber wasn't great.  Stewart wrestles 158 thru Midlands then is mostly going 167 till Big8, Sheets gets into the lineup at 158 in Jan while Stewart is at 167 then goes 167 Big8 & NCAA when Stewart goes back down.  Monday doesn't AA Fr year Sheets places 7th up ~2 wts and everyone knows the rest of the story ...

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

More interesting than that is Wyatt wrestled Quincy Monday last weekend, looked like he might ride out for win or at least get riding time go to OT, but Monday got an escape won the match 3-2 with one takedown.  

I remember when Sheets and Monday were coming out of high school and being recruited (OSU landing both).  If memory is correct Monday had never lost (had one tie), Sheets had only lost once and tied once to the same wrestler (you do the math).  Monday started at 142 Fr year, wasn't really room for Sheets in the lineup as already two studs at 150 & 158.  The 167lber wasn't great?  Stewart wrestles 158 thru Midlands then is mostly going 167 till Big8, Sheet gets into the lineup at 158 in Jan while Stewart is at 167 then goes 165 Big8 & NCAA when Stewart goes back down.  Monday doesn't AA Fr year Sheets places 7th up ~2 wts and everyone knows the rest of the story ...

I still remember the Sports Illustrated article on Kenny Monday when he was in high school. "Only" one NCAA title, but he did wind up winning the Olympics so I guess he turned out OK. Plus his kids are both at great schools even if they may never AA.

4 hours ago, ionel said:

I remember when Sheets and Monday were coming out of high school and being recruited (OSU landing both).  If memory is correct Monday had never lost (had one tie), Sheets had only lost once and tied once to the same wrestler (you do the math).  Monday started at 142 Fr year, wasn't really room for Sheets in the lineup as already two studs at 150 & 158.  The 167lber wasn't great?  Stewart wrestles 158 thru Midlands then is mostly going 167 till Big8, Sheet gets into the lineup at 158 in Jan while Stewart is at 167 then goes 165 Big8 & NCAA when Stewart goes back down.  Monday doesn't AA Fr year Sheets places 7th up ~2 wts and everyone knows the rest of the story ...

Would be awesome to see #3 David Carr and #8 Quincy Monday go at it at some point during NCAA's - only time the matchup is possible. 

Kenny shot out of the blocks famous.  He won Iowa City ( now Fargo) as a high school freshman, defeating one of the Whelan boys from Missouri in the finals. I think he didn't win it again until possibly his senior year in high school, with two seconds wedged in between?

Also, I wrestled him twice and didn't score an offensive point- teched in freestyle and pinned in collegiate. Kenny ( not by virtue over this hack) was one of the best this country has ever had. Cat quick, dangerous thrower, smooth technician, and dialed in. Nate Carr rained on his parade some, but then again, the Skate was pretty special too.

8 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Kenny shot out of the blocks famous.  He won Iowa City ( now Fargo) as a high school freshman, defeating one of the Whelan boys from Missouri in the finals. I think he didn't win it again until possibly his senior year in high school, with two seconds wedged in between?

Also, I wrestled him twice and didn't score an offensive point- teched in freestyle and pinned in collegiate. Kenny ( not by virtue over this hack) was one of the best this country has ever had. Cat quick, dangerous thrower, smooth technician, and dialed in. Nate Carr rained on his parade some, but then again, the Skate was pretty special too.

Can you compare Kemp and Monday?  

On December 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM, DuckFor2 said:

Carr and who is the other Erie guy? 

Bruce coached in Erie but came from Jersey.

also nice to see Bloomsburg represented in the finals. Is this their last finalist?

Rick Bonomo won 3 titles a few years after this for Bloomsburg.  Bloomsburg in the mid 80"s was a top 15(maybe 10) team.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Both were amazing to watch.  Kenny was explosive and as mentioned cat like in every way.  Lee was strong and quick himself.  Had an amazing single leg.  Often hitting a pick or snatch on his feet.  That was back in the days when we were running around in those statue stances.  If they wrestled a hundred times, I'd expect both of them to win their share.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, airmail said:

I love looking at these, thanks Jersey.  Very cool.  Here are the finals & team scores from that year cause I was curious after seeing the 3 champs from both Iowa & Ok.  I knew Iowa won that year but had no clue of the team scores. 

Weight class Championship match (champion in boldface)
118 lbs Barry Davis, Iowa DEC Kevin Darkus, Iowa State, 7–5
126 lbs Dan Cuestas, Cal State-Bakersfield DEC Scott Barrett, Boise State, 10–4
134 lbs C.D. Mock, North Carolina DEC Don Reese, Bloomsburg, 9–2
142 lbs Andre Metzger, Oklahoma DEC Lenny Zalesky, Iowa, 9–6
150 lbs Nate Carr, Iowa State DEC Kenny Monday, Oklahoma State, 3–3, 2–0
158 lbs Jim Zalesky, Iowa DEC Perry Shea, Cal State-Bakersfield, 10–3
167 lbs Dave Schultz, Oklahoma CR5 Mike Sheets, Oklahoma State, 4–4, 1–1
177 lbs Mark Schultz, Oklahoma MAJOR Ed Banach, Iowa, 16–8
190 lbs Pete Bush, Iowa CR Mike Mann, Iowa State, 3–3, 2–2
UNL Bruce Baumgartner, Indiana State DEC Steve Williams, Oklahoma, 4–2
Rank School Points
1 Iowa 131.75
2 Iowa State 111
3 Oklahoma 109
4 Oklahoma State 71.75
5 North Carolina 47
6 Nebraska 40.25
7 Indiana State 33
8 Lehigh 31.75
9 San Jose State 26.75
10 Northern Iowa

That’s an impressive list of NCAA finalists! I would be interested to see how this compares with other years in terms of future success of the wrestlers? There are a lot of world and Olympic medals from that group, so I’m guessing that’s got to be one of the best years

11 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

That’s an impressive list of NCAA finalists! I would be interested to see how this compares with other years in terms of future success of the wrestlers? There are a lot of world and Olympic medals from that group, so I’m guessing that’s got to be one of the best years

we actually had this discussion a while back

On 12/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, BadgerMon said:

Kenny didn't lose any matches in HS,  so I think you must be mistaken about "two seconds wedged in between". Plus, I'm not even sure Fargo was all that big a deal in those days. I was a couple years behind Kenny in HS and followed his exploits with great interest. Kenny finished his HS career with 0 losses and 1 tie: against Mike Sheets from Tahlequah! That was also Mike's only "blemish" on his HS record, he never lost in HS either and only tied Kenny.

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

I must’ve missed it or forgot...which year won out?

actually, i made a mistake

we were breaking down individual weight classes from different years.

so what you were suggesting might be an interesting research topic

1982 HWT was one of the top ten if i remember right.

Edited by GockeS

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Kenny didn't lose any matches in HS,  so I think you must be mistaken about "two seconds wedged in between". Plus, I'm not even sure Fargo was all that big a deal in those days. I was a couple years behind Kenny in HS and followed his exploits with great interest. Kenny finished his HS career with 0 losses and 1 tie: against Mike Sheets from Tahlequah! That was also Mike's only "blemish" on his HS record, he never lost in HS either and only tied Kenny.

Iowa City/Fargo/Cedar Falls wouldn't have counted in his HS record.

34 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Iowa City/Fargo/Cedar Falls wouldn't have counted in his HS record.

Hmmm. Well, in that case maybe! Really doubt Kenny lost up there his Soph/Jr years though. Back in those days Fargo wasn't a giant thing like it is now, and it was expensive to go up there and wrestle for a poor okie. Mid America Nationals was right there in Tulsa though, Kenny's hometown. I betcha that's what he was doing his Soph/Jr years. I kicked the crap out of a kid who was crowned "National Champion" in that tournament :D

On 12/15/2019 at 1:04 PM, TobusRex said:

Hmmm. Well, in that case maybe! Really doubt Kenny lost up there his Soph/Jr years though. Back in those days Fargo wasn't a giant thing like it is now, and it was expensive to go up there and wrestle for a poor okie. Mid America Nationals was right there in Tulsa though, Kenny's hometown. I betcha that's what he was doing his Soph/Jr years. I kicked the crap out of a kid who was crowned "National Champion" in that tournament :D

Eau Contraire, TobusRex.  Iowa City Jr Nationals was the $#@! back then- it's what Fargo became because the tournament out-grew the U of Iowa Old Fieldhouse. 

I drew a guy who was 2nd and 1st in the Ohio State Tournament- and he ended up not placing. Tough! (John McNulty- also a Pan Am Espoir bronze medalist).

Rudy Isom beat Kenny one year in the finals-pin I think, maybe Bill Moss (Florida) did in the other.  Its possible that Kenny only won it once. Not sure who Kenny wrestled his soph year final, but I'm pretty sure he was a four time finalist at Iowa City.

By the way, we didn't have this "Cadet" classification thing going, either. So those of us who were young in class still got to scrap with the older guys- lucky us!  It was all Juniors-top of age group was just graduated. 

For the record, Oklahoma always had large contingents at the big tournaments. You had to make your State team back then to qualify. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:25 AM, TobusRex said:

That's common knowledge, Tobus.  But there was no such thing as Fargo- it was The Iowa City Jr Free/Greco Nationals, and it was the tournament of the year.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:30 PM, jchapman said:

Both outstanding wrestlers. Kemp kept unbeatable position 99.9% of the time, but toned down his scoring at his leisure.  Monday was a threat to pin from anywhere...but lost concentration once in a while during the collegiate season. Both had rivalries with Dave Schultz. 

They would have been a tremendous rivalry at their peaks- Monday didn't reach his til 88 - graduated in 1984. Kemp was World Champ in 78- mere months after he graduated.