Lefty142

Too many teams/wrestlers ranked

17 hours ago, Lefty142 said:

Not true. Performance is almost never a factor when deciding whether to drop or not. It’s always ALWAYS money.  

I agree money trumps all other considerations but your argument implies wrestling is the only non-revenue sport that athletic departments can cut for financial or Title IX reasons. Every sport except SOME football and men’s basketball programs lose money for their respect universities. When it comes down to whether a school cuts its wrestling or men’s soccer program, the success (All American’s, etc) those teams have had is absolutely a factor in that decision. 

Lefty...Have you ever wrestled? 

If anyone thinks placing in the top 8 at the NCAA Tournament is not deserving of AA recognition,  you IMHO have no clue.

Now as far as States and lower divisions, I can have an open mind and discuss this. But, D1 wrestling GTFO.

Rankings serve very little purpose until the final weeks of the season. This mostly for seeding tools.

Rankings offer fodder for fans and media as well as give an idea of where opponents are in relation to each other. Although in the big picture two wrestlers from mid major programs ranked within a couple spots does not mean a ton. But if they are ranked at #17 & #19 in a dual, this can offer a crowd something to be excited about and maybe, just maybe draw a couple extra fans and at the same time generate more publicity for this great sport.

I know rankings in football and basketball are thrown in our faces excessively, They mean nothing until the last 3 weeks of the regular season but this is what society seems to want. How a grown man can complain/ cry about where the Ohio State Buckeyes are ranked in September/ October is mind blowing. But ESPN understands how much these rankings can get fans worked up and play off these emotions weekly as they go from town to town to promote the game using rankings to move the meter.

Now, for your too many AA debate. One of my favorite things to do, is look at NCAA brackets in 4-5 year windows and see how AA wrestlers move up or down through the years. Thank you for NJ, I love looking back at the 80's NCAA results. This would be no where as interesting if I could only look up 3-4 wrestlers a weight class.

If you have been to a NCAA tournament and watched the blood round, you would never say the top 8 are not worthy. The emotion and effort left on the mat in that round is second to none in the drama department. Tears are shed and dreams are made.

I cant wait until March!!!!!!!!!!

Lefty - With the start of the War on Terror, the US Army awards Bronze Star medals (no valor device) to soldiers killed in combat, along with the Purple Heart.

The Marine Corps and USN only award the Purple Heart for those killed as a result of enemy combat (possibly an individual valor award if the action deemed it).

I'm not sure about what the air force does (such as PH only).

Does the Army award too many honors to their combat dead?  Shouldn't the Purple Heart cover things?

On 12/11/2019 at 1:32 PM, Lefty142 said:

80 all Americans per year is nothing but excessive.  Let’s get real. I’d go top 4 with a true 4th. No more than that though. I’ve known plenty of 7/8 guys who are far from legit. 

So please name some???

One of the best NJ HS wrestlers ever, Damion Logan, only AA'd twice in college.  

Arguably 1 of the best 215 lbers in NJ history, Frank Lodeserto, never AA'd.  Alot due to injuries.  But still. 

One of CA's best, 4x finalist and 3x champ Jacob Palomino, a complete stud, never AA'd in college. 

These are just a few examples 

There are MANY 7th and 8th place D1's that could win D2 or D3 on any given year. 

Edited by Rich-JerseyStrong

On 12/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, PSUSMC said:

Lefty - With the start of the War on Terror, the US Army awards Bronze Star medals (no valor device) to soldiers killed in combat, along with the Purple Heart.

The Marine Corps and USN only award the Purple Heart for those killed as a result of enemy combat (possibly an individual valor award if the action deemed it).

I'm not sure about what the air force does (such as PH only).

Does the Army award too many honors to their combat dead?  Shouldn't the Purple Heart cover things?

That 2nd paragraph is incorrect.  I know several Marines with purple hearts  from Iraq that are very much still alive. 

1 hour ago, Rich-JerseyStrong said:

That 2nd paragraph is incorrect.  I know several Marines with purple hearts  from Iraq that are very much still alive. 

Rich-JS, it is 100% correct. In the context of the statement, that whereas the Army awards both the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for their service members killed in combat, the Marine Corps and Navy only award the PH for those killed in combat.

All of the services award the PH for those wounded as a result of enemy action, which is what you reference.

Gold star is awarded to the next of kin of those Killed in Action. I am surprised to learn that the award was not given until 1947, and I don't think Congressionally approved until 1973. During WW1 families with men serving in Europe often displayed flags with blue stars for each son in action, when the soldier was killed the blue star would be swapped out for a gold one.

Note: the first Medals of Honor were awarded during the Civil War, actually to members of The Great Locomotive Chase.  The medals were produced by a Company named William M Wilson Son's Inc. I underwrote there Property, Casuality, etc, insurance Policies. 

Edited by RichB