TBar1977

Penn State and Wilkes Open

I think Penn State has essentially made the Wilkes Open their 16th competition date. I am no expert on the competition date rules  but I think if 6 or more wrestlers compete attached then it is a competition date and that seems to be the case at the Wilkes Open on December 22nd. Seems like all the meaningful wrestlers will be competing there, some attached and others not as they are in redshirt except a few wrestlers headed elsewhere. Shakur Rasheed is registered for Wilkes, but at 184. I wouldn't make too much of that. Brady Berge will compete. Even Matt Lee representing the NLWC will be there. Carter Starocci, Joe Lee and Seth Nevills as well. Even Mark Hall who I had previously thought would be at the US Open, he is registered too. 

US Open: Nick Lee, Vincenzo Joseph, Aaron Brooks, and Anthony Cassar

The Southern Scuffle: Michael Beard

It almost looks to me like the Wilkes Open is a wrestle off opportunity for 125 and 149.

One other interesting note, Adam Busiello is competing at Wilkes at 149. 

A thread on the PSU board lays all this out. 

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/wilkes-open.255472/

Edited by TBar1977

10 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Is Mark Hall forgoing his shot at the Olympics?  @TBar1977

Not sure. He said he is concentrating on folk this year, for whatever that statement is worth. 

The biggest things regarding this development, imo only maybe, are that they wanted another day of competition without having to go too far to get it. I wonder where Beard will compete. And the whole Busiello thing. What are the odds he chose this tournament of all tournaments to compete in unattached? Seems almost like an audition of his own arranging. 

I hope Shak competes at 197 as opposed to 184. 

Edited by TBar1977

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Based on Mark's interviews it sounded like he's going to compete a full folkstyle schedule and if he wins NCAA's, make the decision then on whether he wants to throw his hat in the ring.  

This is what I got too.

Meaning he will compete as a vastly undersized 86kg guy at OTT.

He will still win a match or three.

56 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This is what I got too.

Meaning he will compete as a vastly undersized 86kg guy at OTT.

He will still win a match or three.

Olympic trials will only have a few guys per weight. You can’t win 3 matches and not be in the finals. I highly doubt Hall is in the finals, considering Zahid, Taylor, Ringer and looks like Jden will be in the field. 

18 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Olympic trials will only have a few guys per weight. You can’t win 3 matches and not be in the finals. I highly doubt Hall is in the finals, considering Zahid, Taylor, Ringer and looks like Jden will be in the field. 

Looks like Marky Mark is one of those true "tweeners".  It's highly unfortunate for him, given how these weight classes become consolidated.  Clearly a world class talent (as evidenced by Jr. WC's), but with no OLY "home".  :-(

23 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

As good as Mark is, I don’t think he would win a match if he makes trials. Maybe 1, depending on draw (Downey?)

If he can beat the returning team member... he can beat other folks entered.

I actually started a post yesterday about Mark and got busy and never finished it.

I think his wrestling career being at the top is essentially over after college. I just don't see any path for him to make an olympic team, let alone be a top 3 guy at any weight. Not just next year's Olympics but the following Olympics too.

Edited by Gopher82

Just now, TBar1977 said:

Mark beat Nolf in freestyle several years ago. I think he has a future, just not up at 86kg. Rather, he needs to drop down to 74kg. 

Agreed, I think at 74 he would be a force.  Likely top 3 at trials this year if he can make it.

26 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

I actually started a post yesterday about Mark and got busy and never finished it.

I think his wrestling career being at the top is essentially over after college. I just don't see any path for him to make an olympic team, let alone be a top 3 guy at any weight. Not just next year's Olympics but the following Olympics too.

keep in mind that the top dogs at 74kg are on the tail end of their frestyle career. Mark will hopfully be on the freestyle curcuit for many years so i can see him getting his time at the weight if he decides to stay with it. 

42 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Has he beaten Downey, or are you just assuming he would?

I didn't say he would. Someone else did. I agree he would. That being said my post was using the assumption that he did/does then it would be safe to assume he could/would beat other 189lbers. 

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...

45 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

One plan that I think makes sense is to compete this year and next at 79kg, then begin adjusting his body (up or down) two years ahead of the Olympics.  Make a run at an Olympic weight in 2024.  

There is no worlds in non-Oly weights this year