Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lefty142

Is Midlands back?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Lefty142 said:

Southern scuffle has been on the way out for a few years now. Midlands had a good group last year. Are we seeing the pendulum swing back to midlands being “the” holiday event? 

No. If you are asking about "the" college tournament then you are asking about the #1 college tournament. That is the CKLV holiday tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

CKLV is far and away the deepest right now.  If Iowa, PSU, and Oklahoma State were to show up it'd basically be NCAA's. 

Personally, I do not want to see all those schools in one event. I like the prognosticators and forum-frequenters to build excitement all the way to the NCAA tournament.

For me the ideal situation would be an east coast, Midwest, and west coast event with cross conference entries. They don't have to all be over Christmas break but rather throughout the month of December. We sort of have this with the Scuffle and Midlands. What would be the west coast event? Is there one currently; could the resurgence of Fresno State lead to one?

EDIT - Hi. The first step to growth is admitting one's own shortcomings. Sometimes I don't think. Have a great day. #DumbDumb

Edited by RealAmericanHero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Personally, I do not want to see all those schools in one event. I like the prognosticators and forum-frequenters to build excitement all the way to the NCAA tournament.

For me the ideal situation would be an east coast, Midwest, and west coast event with cross conference entries. They don't have to all be over Christmas break but rather throughout the month of December. We sort of have this with the Scuffle and Midlands. What would be the west coast event? Is there one currently; could the resurgence of Fresno State lead to one?

Did you just describe exactly what we already have?  CKLV is your west event.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 8:59 AM, WillieBoy said:

Not until it gets a good batch of post Collegiate wrestlers entering again.

Was always nice to see Past NCAA champs coming to mix it up with the current Collegiate champions.

Back in the day, the Midlands was that way because there were no "international" type events to compete in.  Then, you had Gable, the Petersons, Hellickson, Behm, Chris Taylor and more competing just to get competition.  It did make it very special....great memories!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Back in the day, the Midlands was that way because there were no "international" type events to compete in.  Then, you had Gable, the Petersons, Hellickson, Behm, Chris Taylor and more competing just to get competition.  It did make it very special....great memories!!!

Would be great if the past dudes would show up and kick the crap out of the youngsters! David Taylor and Dake both showing up, lol.  Gwiz wrestling just so people can see how unbelievably weak HWT is this year!  Pffft, none of those guys has any sense of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Would be great if the past dudes would show up and kick the crap out of the youngsters! David Taylor and Dake both showing up, lol.  Gwiz wrestling just so people can see how unbelievably weak HWT is this year!  Pffft, none of those guys has any sense of fun.

Taylor did show up a few years ago and I believe techfalled Z. Valencia in the early rounds.  Of course, that was true frosh Valencia before he became what he is today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lost said:

Taylor did show up a few years ago and I believe techfalled Z. Valencia in the early rounds.  Of course, that was true frosh Valencia before he became what he is today.

Zahid couldn't stop Taylor's turns, which was ironic because Taylor's turns didn't really do Taylor any good anymore at that point as a post grad (freestyler). 

I don't remember the details but Dudley from Nebraska wrestled a very good match vs Taylor in the finals and had him in a weird position late but Taylor avoided the pin and either escaped or reversed.  

It was cool of Taylor to go.  If I recall maybe he was in town at his in laws or something else to do with his fiancee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, TBar1977 said:

Speaking of the Scuffle, anyone have a list of teams? I know about the host, Rutgers and Stanford but no one else. 

Teams: https://www.wrestlestat.com/event/45716/participants/teams

Wrestlers (just starters for each team, or backups for teams that have it as unofficial, ie Penn State): https://www.wrestlestat.com/event/45716/participants/wrestlers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, drag it said:

Zahid couldn't stop Taylor's turns, which was ironic because Taylor's turns didn't really do Taylor any good anymore at that point as a post grad (freestyler). 

I don't remember the details but Dudley from Nebraska wrestled a very good match vs Taylor in the finals and had him in a weird position late but Taylor avoided the pin and either escaped or reversed.  

It was cool of Taylor to go.  If I recall maybe he was in town at his in laws or something else to do with his fiancee.

If I remember correctly Taylor entered the tournament that year on almost no notice and without any folk training leading up to it. His wife is from the chicago area and they were spending Xmas with her family that year when he essentially got bored and entered Midlands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFor2 said:

Little Rock? never heard of them.

This is a new Division 1 program that started this year in Little Rock, Arkansas.  It was initially reported as the University of Arkansas Little Rock, but they are rebranding all sports as Little Rock Trojans Wrestling, etc.  They are in the PAC 12 for wrestling only.

Edited by neutralpositionref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neutralpositionref said:

This is a new Division 1 program that started this year in Little Rock, Arkansas.  It was initially reported as the University of Arkansas Little Rock, but they are rebranding all sports as Little Rock Trojans Wrestling, etc.  They are in the PAC 12 for wrestling only.

They must know a cross-country short-cut!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...