Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Can we talk about PEDs on here?

PED’s stand for Performance Enhancing Drugs and cover a very very wide array of substances that are available in many different forms and are obtained for many different uses. They can effect pretty much any and every aspect of physical fitness and performance and as such is a constant battle between the regulators, lawmakers, enforcement officials, and participants. Some of the most amazing achievements in sports have later been wiped out because of the detection of PED’s in the athlete(s). 

Which such a wide variety of products, uses, vehicles, people and money involved, rules and laws...one can expect that laying out all of the rules involved will be quite the task. 

(Just getting the talk started)

Edited by Lurker

Sure you can talk about PED's but it's kind of pointless.  When's the last time a college wrestler was caught?  

There are drugs out there that are massively beneficial to wrestlers, and many of them have nothing at all to due with strength or building muscle.  Many world and Olympic titles have been won with "assistance," and that includes our guys too--not just the Russians. 

NCAA randomly tests 2-3 guys on each team to start the year and then tests 2-3 guys per weight at NCAA.Schools test during the season for street drugs but don't spend the money to test for steroids.Steroids/HGH are being used in NCAA wrestling just not enough testing to catch guys.Also not sure we would hear about it if it happened.Guys have failed at NCAA tournament last few years for street drugs and we don't hear about that.

1 minute ago, calot said:

NCAA randomly tests 2-3 guys on each team to start the year and then tests 2-3 guys per weight at NCAA.Schools test during the season for street drugs but don't spend the money to test for steroids.Steroids/HGH are being used in NCAA wrestling just not enough testing to catch guys.Also not sure we would hear about it if it happened.Guys have failed at NCAA tournament last few years for street drugs and we don't hear about that.

Just like most drug testing, this kind of testing only catches the stupid dopers.  

I don’t think there’s enough money to be made in college wrestling for these kids to use PEDs.  This isn’t like college football.  Boosters and agents aren’t throwing money at them.  I guess maybe a kid with a full scholarship can afford PEDs, but the risk/reward ratio seems pretty poor. 

3 minutes ago, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

I don’t think there’s enough money to be made in college wrestling for these kids to use PEDs.  This isn’t like college football.  Boosters and agents aren’t throwing money at them.  I guess maybe a kid with a full scholarship can afford PEDs, but the risk/reward ratio seems pretty poor. 

A lot of students have parental support.  Winning is priceless.

This surprises me a little.  I suspected, but figured by now, the testing had surely caught up with the PED guys and gals.  So just to see if I understand.  You guys are saying that a lot of these guys that obviously look like they're juicing, are probably actually doing it?  I look at NFL players that are 300 pounds and run a 4.7 time in the 40 at about 6% body fat, and I suspect, but again, I assumed the testing had caught up, and that every generation is just providing more super freak athletes.  Give me the clift notes on this please.  Is there rampant PED use in both the amateur and professional level across multiple sports?

2 hours ago, Peso said:

This surprises me a little.  I suspected, but figured by now, the testing had surely caught up with the PED guys and gals.  So just to see if I understand.  You guys are saying that a lot of these guys that obviously look like they're juicing, are probably actually doing it?  I look at NFL players that are 300 pounds and run a 4.7 time in the 40 at about 6% body fat, and I suspect, but again, I assumed the testing had caught up, and that every generation is just providing more super freak athletes.  Give me the clift notes on this please.  Is there rampant PED use in both the amateur and professional level across multiple sports?

Lmao!  Please show me the evidence of a football player who is 300 pounds at 6% body fat.  Folks here have got to stick the commentary on wrestling.  Last month there was a guy arguing that Jim Brown never once got tackled for a loss in his entire career. Of course, he failed to produce any sort of evidence that that was true.

8 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Lmao!  Please show me the evidence of a football player who is 300 pounds at 6% body fat.  Folks here have got to stick the commentary on wrestling.  Last month there was a guy arguing that Jim Brown never once got tackled for a loss in his entire career. Of course, he failed to produce any sort of evidence that that was true.

That was an exaggeration, and I stand corrected.  Do you not see super human athletes in the nfl?

9 hours ago, Peso said:

That depends on what you would consider "rampant" use.  Anti-doping programs for most professional sports are a joke.  They test harder for pot than they do for PEDs, and that's not likely to change because they're all unionized, and the leagues don't really want to catch anyone in the first place.  

A truly effective program is both (1) very expensive, and (2) highly invasive.  What the UFC has done with USADA is far and away the most comprehensive anti-doping effort, and what a shock--they have 10x the number of guys pop in one year than the NFL will have over a few season span.  

In terms of amateur sports, I don't think it's that prevalent in NCAA wrestling.  At the international level, that's well documented at this point--we're going to continue to see medals get stripped retroactively, probably forever.