Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Scheduling - Penn State and Everyone Else

PSU is competing much less than most everyone else this year.  Is it a new policy or a reflection of their unique dual schedule?  Should other teams do it?

I was looking at their schedule and I have to say I am impressed.  This year, they scheduled one less than competitive (for them) early season tournament and 14 duals.   Seems like they are going to get between 15 and 20 matches per wrestler.  Their dual schedule is stellar, so they are not lacking for competition and in fact have lost a dual and at least 10 matches so far.  They had a real Thanksgiving and will not compete from 12/8 to 1/10 - finals, Xmas and the  New Year are not spent cutting weight and travelling.   This is almost perfect in my view.   Of course, one downside will be seeding and loss padding when a guy doesn't have 15 matches at a weight - Hollywood Rasheed, for example.

Most other teams would would be hurt by this because they don't have the correct duals to get high profile matches and their wrestlers need to prove themselves more.

They have 26 wrestlers at Wilkes, which I know what most think, its Wilkes so that barely counts. It still actually does count to the extent they are actually wrestling, even though some opponents won't be D1. Then 4 of their starters will be at this Olympic qualifier. They will end up having wrestled as much as pretty much anyone else by the time post season rolls around. Whomever is the 125, 149 and then throw in Berge and Rasheed all will have a relative few number of matches. But even there, the 125 and 149 went at Army Invitational.

Edited by TBar1977

We broke this down in another thread a while back--they're a little light with no holiday tournament but it's now clear that they're supplementing that with a second open tournament to get matches in for the guys that aren't competing at the US Open.  Makes sense to me.  

It's also likely that when they put pen to paper on the schedule, they weren't certain how many of their guys would go to Dallas.  Guessing they would have liked to go to Scuffle but didn't want to show up with a skeleton crew in the event 8/10 of their lineup was trying to qualify.  

17 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

I think the light schedule is tied to the fact it's an Olympic year. May have kept a few guys in the lineup that otherwise would of took a redshirt. 

Is it that it's an Olympic year, or is it that it's an Olympic year with the trials being held in Happy Valley?

As mentioned, this has been discussed. Way down on the number of wrestling dates overall. At the time posted about it I was not thinking much about the Olympic Cycle. Looking at that it appears Cael set the bar high for his guys in giving them a chance to try for it while reducing the schedule. Concern for the wrestlers? Giving them a chance to compete for an Olympic spot? Or maybe trying a different tack on competition to get guys invigorated and competitive?

Don't know. Do know we'll see how it plays out in March.

Would have been interesting to see how the schedules of 25-35 duals/matches a season would have been handled in decades past with Gable, Uetake and the like. Long seasons with a ton of matches is almost a death march for some athletes. Maybe fewer matches and more work on technique between them will be better?

Maybe this is the best way to deal with the very long season we have in wrestling. Everyone always talks about the long grind and how wrestlers get beat down. Cael and Casey may be setting a trend that others will follow if the Lions keep winning it all. 

At some point the Coaches will wise up and shorten the season. How about a February NCAA tournament, or not start the season until mid December or January and have the big show after basketball is finished.  

13 hours ago, 77again said:

Maybe this is the best way to deal with the very long season we have in wrestling. Everyone always talks about the long grind and how wrestlers get beat down. Cael and Casey may be setting a trend that others will follow if the Lions keep winning it all. 

At some point the Coaches will wise up and shorten the season. How about a February NCAA tournament, or not start the season until mid December or January and have the big show after basketball is finished.  

It is a long season. I for one care about student athletes getting a good education. I care about family. Plasmodium’s point about a “real thanksgiving” isn’t about Turkey it’s about family. I think a shorter season with a few less road trips and more time for holidays will be an improvement in the lives and futures of the student athletes.