bnwtwg

Spencer Lee competing at Sr. nationals

Obviously a favorite to win or at least qualify for trials. Is his right leg OK, though? I wonder if he’ll do enough to qualify then MFF to mitigate further injury. Looking forward to seeing him vs. at least one of Garrett, Waters, NaTo, Vito to see where they’re at.

Obviously a favorite to win or at least qualify for trials. Is his right leg OK, though? I wonder if he’ll do enough to qualify then MFF to mitigate further injury. Looking forward to seeing him vs. at least one of Garrett, Waters, NaTo, Vito to see where they’re at.
Yeah he is def top 6 but. I mean hes no greater a favorite than any of the top 4 it's just going to depend on his draw.
I hate to see it but as you said is a possibility, I bet we see a lot of those "qualify then forfeit" guys. Sucks

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah he is def top 6 but. I mean hes no greater a favorite than any of the top 4 it's just going to depend on his draw.
I hate to see it but as you said is a possibility, I bet we see a lot of those "qualify then forfeit" guys. Sucks

The qualify-then-forfeit strategy sucks for sure and I hope it doesn’t happen. I was thinking that maybe we’ll see Helen do the same and get in a couple of test matches since she’s already qualified - though I hope she wrestles all the way through. Looking forward to seeing how her wrestling has progressed under John Smith.

Back to Spencer: is his wrapped-up leg the same leg & injury he had in the past? I hope he’s OK.

To me, the question is whether his lace translates to the senior level. He balled up everybody with it at age-level, but we haven't seen him at the senior level yet. If he can still lace these guys, he's an immediate contender for the spot (and maybe a title). If not, I don't think he has enough on his feet to overcome his suspect tank. Still should qualify though.

Super excited to see him though. CP said on instagram that he's been snakebit by minor injuries the past few summers, which is why he didn't wrestle any freestyle. 

To me, the question is whether his lace translates to the senior level. He balled up everybody with it at age-level, but we haven't seen him at the senior level yet. If he can still lace these guys, he's an immediate contender for the spot (and maybe a title). If not, I don't think he has enough on his feet to overcome his suspect tank. Still should qualify though.
Super excited to see him though. CP said on instagram that he's been snakebit by minor injuries the past few summers, which is why he didn't wrestle any freestyle. 
The guys he was lacing have done nothing since for a reason :)
That said, he generally wasnt struggling with them becuase he was that superior. He has been training with Gilman and despite peoples hatred of Gilman you got to think that's sharpened Lee's skills. I dont think he dominates like he did juniors, but he's definitely top 6 domestically

3 hours ago, pamela said:

The qualify-then-forfeit strategy sucks for sure and I hope it doesn’t happen. I was thinking that maybe we’ll see Helen do the same and get in a couple of test matches since she’s already qualified - though I hope she wrestles all the way through. Looking forward to seeing how her wrestling has progressed under John Smith.

Back to Spencer: is his wrapped-up leg the same leg & injury he had in the past? I hope he’s OK.

I thought she announced her retirement?  I guess not?

4 hours ago, pamela said:

IDK if he's really able to do the qualify then forfeit thing because it's top 5, not top 6. He can't make the semis and forfeit out. I guess he could forfeit the finals or 3rd place match, but that's only one more match at that point. I could see him forfeiting the 3rd place match.

IDK if he's really able to do the qualify then forfeit thing because it's top 5, not top 6. He can't make the semis and forfeit out. I guess he could forfeit the finals or 3rd place match, but that's only one more match at that point. I could see him forfeiting the 3rd place match.
Yeah, anyone declining to wrestle any finals, will make me all levels of sad

The way I see it is if his conditioning is there he IS the favorite. While it’s true he has t wrestler freestyle once 2016, he has wrestled and he has beaten all comers in folk. His top game in folk is the best we’ve seen in a long time and it translates well to free. He’s also as good as anyone on his feet. Lastly he’s had two years to get used to wrestling the bigger boys a 125, which was an issue back when he lost to Fix. 

Lastly he’s had two years to get used to wrestling the bigger boys a 125, which was an issue back when he lost to Fix. 

I do think this will help him. After having had Gilman*, Clark, Desanto.... to roll with... that's some strength/size.

But his Folkstyle accolades shouldnt explain his #1 "pre" seed. We have national team members in there and what not. Has to be a deeper explanation. I heard one on a different board but it didnt account for Vitali who just took a Junior Silver...

I hope somebody explains why he is #1 eventually. He has just as good a shot at winning it as the other top guys. Just curious

Is there any scenario where his 3 World Gold medals could influence this seeding?  

I think the fact that they're age group and so far back has to play a role but maybe not. Obviously your next point would be the people he is ranked ahead of werent age group studs. But how would we explain Vitali fresh off the Silver, getting 6th seed.

47 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I do think this will help him. After having had Gilman*, Clark, Desanto.... to roll with... that's some strength/size.

But his Folkstyle accolades shouldnt explain his #1 "pre" seed. We have national team members in there and what not. Has to be a deeper explanation. I heard one on a different board but it didnt account for Vitali who just took a Junior Silver...

I hope somebody explains why he is #1 eventually. He has just as good a shot at winning it as the other top guys. Just curious

He's the top seed because he's expected to win.  It's really that simple, and how seeding works.

7 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Seeding a guy who hasn't wrestled a freestyle match in 3 years #1 is utter madness. Yes, he won a junior world title last time out...at 50kg...in 2016.

Where would you like to seed him?

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
8 minutes ago, Mokoma said:
Where would you like to seed him?

5th or 6th sounds about right

Based on what?  He hasn't wrestling freestyle in 3 years?

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Seeding criteria: Who do you expect to win?

#NuffSaid #Merica

Thank you for the insight

So why does 5th or 6th sound about right???