Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Kurt McHenry

Appears to have weighed under 125.0 for certifications, which is shocking to me considering he was off from competition and had access to Michigan's facilities for the Spring and Summer semesters.  Get this man some PEDs

Edited by LemonPie

25 minutes ago, Michigan wrestling said:

That can be said about a lot of the roster. They only took 8 kids to Cliff Keen. Where's Joey Silva as well. Did hear, he was not enrolled first semester. So we will see if he's enrolled 2nd semester in a little bit.

He was enrolled, just "concentrating on academics" per coach.  

I was wondering about Kurt over the weekend.  Watching Ironman finals, I was thinking about some of these smallerish guys (106, 113), and if they're juniors, how small they may be come time to get to college.  That's when I was like... whatever happened to McHenry?  Thanks for starting this thread.  Interested in where it will go. 

I think it would be good to see Malik Heinselman match up with McHenry for the old-time 118 weight class.  Who wins that one?  hehe...

I was shocked when I saw he enrolled early at Michigan last Spring. I thought he would benefit from a 2 year greyshirt/redshirt combo more than any high school wrestler I can think of.

Incredibly talented and fun to watch, but he’s as undersized as any truly elite 125 prospect I can remember (I don’t consider Heinselman to be in the same league). He wrestled 113 in high school last year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he walked around at 107-108. 

It’s going to take a Herculean effort (pun intended) by him and the Michigan strength coaches to get him big enough to go with big 125ers next season. By the time next season rolls around he’ll be 18 months removed from the last time we saw him in high school...and I’ll be shocked if he’s physically able to grind with guys like Lee, Mueller, and Glory. I’ll be happy to eat my words though, he’s a super talented kid and fun to watch. 

As far as Silva?  He was having issues and needs to focus on academics before he can think about wrestling attached for UofM.

McHenry?  He lost to Medley 1-0 in the Maize & Blue intrasquad.  The one point was an escape by Medley.  McHenry chose neutral.

He will still be undersized.  That was always going to be known.  I don't see how he gains enough size, either, while maintaining an appropriate level of oxygen in his muscles to not gas himself out.  Even at 113 last year he was outsized in a couple matches.

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

As far as Silva?  He was having issues and needs to focus on academics before he can think about wrestling attached for UofM.

McHenry?  He lost to Medley 1-0 in the Maize & Blue intrasquad.  The one point was an escape by Medley.  McHenry chose neutral.

He will still be undersized.  That was always going to be known.  I don't see how he gains enough size, either, while maintaining an appropriate level of oxygen in his muscles to not gas himself out.  Even at 113 last year he was outsized in a couple matches.

The striking issue with McHenry over the past couple years is the lack of success on his feet. It's one thing to get ridden, but show some promise on your feet, but he hasn't been able to score on decent guys for a couple years now. Could be a size issue, but in the matches I remember he wasn't giving himself any opportunities at all.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He can gain 10 lbs which would still make him small but not so small that he won’t be competitive with R16 level guys. His situation is very different from guys who are already jacked and then gain another 10-20 lbs over one summer. McHenry was 18 when he set foot on campus and is taking an entire year off. Lift heavy and eat, don’t party much, repeat. It’s not that easy but come on, it’s not THAT hard. He is 18 and skinny. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

21 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He can gain 10 lbs which would still make him small but not so small that he won’t be competitive with R16 level guys. His situation is very different from guys who are already jacked and then gain another 10-20 lbs over one summer. McHenry was 18 when he set foot on campus and is taking an entire year off. Lift heavy and eat, don’t party much, repeat. It’s not that easy but come on, it’s not THAT hard. He is 18 and skinny. 

And about 4'6" tall.

Do we want Lugo Jr?