Kentucky_Mudflap

Dallas and the Spencer Lee Mystery

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I ask again, because apparently everyone missed my not-so-subtleness

I would directly ask the following competitors: Pat Smith, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber. I would also ask any competitor, from Rulon Gardner to Dan Dennis to Brent Metcalf to J'Den Cox to David Taylor.

would you rather be an olympian or 4 time national champion? Or let me ask in a different way - would you rather have beat quite a few US upper-tier competitors and be well known, or have the opportunity to compete in a small tournament of the best of the best in the world?

THE REAL question is: Would you give up a chance to be a 4 timer to give yourself a chance to be an Olympian?

Your question ignores the main component of this topic..............

23 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I would directly ask the following competitors: Pat Smith, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber. I would also ask any competitor, from Rulon Gardner to Dan Dennis to Brent Metcalf to J'Den Cox to David Taylor.

would you rather be an olympian or 4 time national champion? Or let me ask in a different way - would you rather have beat quite a few US upper-tier competitors and be well known, or have the opportunity to compete in a small tournament of the best of the best in the world?

I would think the vast majority of them would rather be a 4x champ than “be an Olympian.” If you changed the latter choice to “be an Olympic champion” I would think the vast majority would choose that over being a 4 timer.

But in the context of Spencer’s situation: Spencer would be giving up his goal of being a 4 timer for the chance to be an Olympian. Also just as importantly Spencer will still be very much in his prime in 2024 and in 2028 he’ll be the same age Dake is today.

Being a 4 timer and Olympian shouldn’t be mutually exclusive goals. The only reason they are (if Mudflap proves accurate) is because this situation was outrageously mismanaged by Iowa from the outset of this season. I hope Mudflap is wrong because, in my eyes, Spencer just made it clear he’s good enough to win both an NCAA title and the OTT’s within a short window this Spring.

58 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

What makes you say he is risking the NCAA championship. Seems like the biggest favorite of anyone except maybe Zahid.

17 hours ago, MDogg said:

I would think the vast majority of them would rather be a 4x champ than “be an Olympian.” If you changed the latter choice to “be an Olympic champion” I would think the vast majority would choose that over being a 4 timer.

So which would you rather be:

A) 3x NCAA champ & 2x Olympic gold having never lost in either discipline,

B) 4x NCAA champ & 1x Olympic gold with a few losses, or

C) 2x NCAA champ, 2x Olympic gold, 4x World gold and a dozen losses?

Lees not giving up any year. KMF said this year, not this season for a reason.

As for which, ionel, does A. Mean you never lose in either styles but you also only get those 2 Olympic golds but no world golds?

Because if so then i think C. 4 more gold medals would definitely outweigh the one ncaa title and worth the loses imo.

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Great question.  A is tempting (and would be more so with 4 NCAAs) but I've got to say C regardless.   

I'd take four extra world championships and being able to say I was the best wrestler in the whole world half a dozen times in return for the losses. 

In some ways the losses just show how clutch you are that you still won the six times when it counted most.   Here's to you Coach Smith.  

1 hour ago, Molsen said:

As for which, ionel, does A. Mean you never lose in either styles but you also only get those 2 Olympic golds but no world golds?

Pretty sure the A guy didn't wrestle world's, Olympic was the big deal, the best didn't necessarily go to world's then.  Plus first Oly gold was while in college 2nd ~year+ after & hence why most consider him the best college wrestle ever (that doesn't mean most wins).

1 hour ago, drag it said:

Great question.  A is tempting (and would be more so with 4 NCAAs) but I've got to say C regardless.   

Can't win 4 if only allowed to compete in 3.  Until the first guy wins 5 NCAA titles all others are just wannabes, correct?  ;)

6 hours ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure the A guy didn't wrestle world's, Olympic was the big deal, the best didn't necessarily go to world's then.  Plus first Oly gold was while in college 2nd ~year+ after & hence why most consider him the best college wrestle ever (that doesn't mean most wins).

Can't win 4 if only allowed to compete in 3.  Until the first guy wins 5 NCAA titles all others are just wannabes, correct?  ;)

You realize we’ve had a guy win 5 NCAA titles correct?

On 12/24/2019 at 8:11 AM, ionel said:

Interesting question. A is the easy choice for me because of the “having never lost in either discipline” caveat. 

4 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Correct. 

If so then this wouldn't exactly be an example of him being the guy to "brake all the big ones" -- I'll be at Midlands and ever since hearing Lee was going to Texas I've assumed that whether or not he finished in the top 5 he wouldn't be in Evanston (whoops, Freudian slip, let's bring it back on campus!) just a week later.  I also assumed he'd only finish in the top 1 at Nationals given the way he turns into a killing machine when it matters, but that's a different story.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Kentucky_Mudflap said:

Now to get to the main point here hombres Tommies playing reel coy about Spencer Lee but what he aint saying is he cut a dealio with Lee and if he finished top 5 down to Dallas thats the end of wrestling in the black and gold for this year and its Cashman

*Arrested Development narrator voice*

Spencer Lee wrestled in the black and gold at the very next event.

He's one of my favorite Iowa wrestlers.  I liked Johnson, Lewis, Brands, Steiners, The Banachs, but Royce Alger was kinda my guy.  I'm a Poke fan through and through, but those guys were sure fun to watch and we had a few pretty good ones that lost to them.  Fried and Owens come to mind.  When I left Oklahoma, I brought what I named the Steiner with me to Colorado.  I didn't use the legs like Mr Steiner did, but man that's hard to stop if you get the wrist and the same arm barred.  Anyway, Spencer Lee has taken over as my personal favorite Iowa Wrestler.  Unless he wrestles any Division I or II wrestlers, I'll pull for him.  :--)

Edited by Peso