Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Old News: Piccinnini/Glory was great

Quick question/thought on that first takedown and the 3-second rule: Glory was awarded the takedown, more or less in the middle of a scramble, and after a bunch of time on Picc's ankles, rolling around, etc., the ref calls stalemate. I wondered why that wouldn't be called stalling. I'm probably missing something.

15 minutes ago, wrestlingzen said:

Quick question/thought on that first takedown and the 3-second rule: Glory was awarded the takedown, more or less in the middle of a scramble, and after a bunch of time on Picc's ankles, rolling around, etc., the ref calls stalemate. I wondered why that wouldn't be called stalling. I'm probably missing something.

I wondered that too.  Also, seemed like a short count to give the takedown.  Picc may have been been in "danger" for 3 seconds, but looking strictly at the refs count it appeared that Picc started turning belly down as soon as heard the count (before 3 full swipes).  Kind of similar to the Eierman/Yanni match at NCAAs.

25 minutes ago, XiXiTiger said:

I wondered that too.  Also, seemed like a short count to give the takedown.  Picc may have been been in "danger" for 3 seconds, but looking strictly at the refs count it appeared that Picc started turning belly down as soon as heard the count (before 3 full swipes).  Kind of similar to the Eierman/Yanni match at NCAAs.

I noticed that, too. Also it seemed the count started up as soon as he went to 'danger'. My understanding is that the refs should hold off a second or two and say danger (I think that's the protocol) before counting. 

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I noticed that, too. Also it seemed the count started up as soon as he went to 'danger'. My understanding is that the refs should hold off a second or two and say danger (I think that's the protocol) before counting. 

Well, got to give Glory credit for understanding the rules better than Picc, if nothing else :D 

6 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Watching Glory go low it might be worth him checking out older video of John Smith competing. He apparently has the drive and looks comfortable with the moves but needs to get his low work much more fluid.

One step at a time. Glory used to not have much self-initiated offense, at least against high-level guys. Dubuque has done an impressive job in developing that. He is not done, and his pupil appears game to continue the improvement. I am very impressed by Glory’s progress and what Princeton has done with him so far. 

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

One step at a time. Glory used to not have much self-initiated offense, at least against high-level guys. Dubuque has done an impressive job in developing that. He is not done, and his pupil appears game to continue the improvement. I am very impressed by Glory’s progress and what Princeton has done with him so far. 

Plus I am sure Glory and the princeton staff don't know those positions at all...

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Well, got to give Glory credit for understanding the rules better than Picc, if nothing else :D 

Anyone can understand the rules but can they understand how that specific ref will interpret the rules on that specific day, now that'd be some fine understanding.  ;)

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Anyone can understand the rules but can they understand how that specific ref will interpret the rules on that specific day, now that'd be some fine understanding.  ;)

The reason you are wrong is because you seem to think that there isn't an arbitrary element to life, sports, being a referee.....

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

The reason you are wrong is because you seem to think that there isn't an arbitrary element to life, sports, being a referee.....

huh ... I don't think you understood what I was saying ... but yeah that's life ;_;

44 minutes ago, ionel said:

That'd be easy: just watch the ref in action for a few matches and you should know exactly how he'll call stuff. 

9 hours ago, TobusRex said:

That'd be easy: just watch the ref in action for a few matches and you should know exactly how he'll call stuff. 

Well sure but Picc upstairs warming up, Glory maybe doing same & your not gonna learn much understanding of danger rule & scramble calls watching the prior match of heavies.  ;)