Sign in to follow this  
Rocep

Iowa Fashion

Why do some Iowa wrestlers wear their sweatshirts inside out? I have seen this repeatedly from guys like Dennis, Gilman, and others. I get a lot of what we do in terms of how wrestlers wear stuff, but this has always confused me.

Edited by Rocep

not an iowa thing

the sweatshirts inside out isn't either..

we did it here in nebraska..and not just wrestlers, tho i also did it when i went to college in iowa..so perhaps i spread it there ;-)

back in the 80-90s

Edited by GockeS

52 minutes ago, GockeS said:

not an iowa thing

the sweatshirts inside out isn't either..

we did it here in nebraska..and not just wrestlers, tho i also did it when i went to college in iowa..so perhaps i spread it there ;-)

back in the 80-90s

leave it to little brother nebraska to try and claim something from Iowa!

Tom Brands was at a camp I was at back in the day (2012ish?) and was wearing a 2010 National Champs shirt. In the middle of the technique session, he remarked that Iowa wasn't the defending champs anymore and he took off the shirt, turned it inside out, and wore it that way the rest of the camp. Doesn't really have anything to do with this, but it always stuck with me.

The socks/sweatpants thing has been a wrestler thing for years at this point. It's actually started to catch on outside of wrestling a little bit.

Wrestling has had some bizarre fashion trends. Robbie smiths socks, unnecessary head bands for guys like Herbert, weird fros like askren etc.  I’ve seen a few haircut styles spread across kids wrestling which could be described as unfortunate at best. Shaving everything except a tuft of hair at the front, mullets, lines.  Wrestling is full of individuals and weirdos. Means some epic looks 

Edited by PracticeRoomKing

13 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

The socks/sweatpants thing has been a wrestler thing for years at this point. It's actually started to catch on outside of wrestling a little bit.

Its convenient if you are on an airdyne, rolling, or even jogging. I do this if I wear sweat pants to the gym.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, Rocep said:

Why do some Iowa wrestlers wear their sweatshirts inside out? I have seen this repeatedly from guys like Dennis, Gilman, and others. I get a lot of what we do in terms of how wrestlers wear stuff, but this has always confused me.

Easy. They are too dumb to know which side of the shirt goes out. That tag on the collar totally baffles them.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Tom Brands was at a camp I was at back in the day (2012ish?) and was wearing a 2010 National Champs shirt. In the middle of the technique session, he remarked that Iowa wasn't the defending champs anymore and he took off the shirt, turned it inside out, and wore it that way the rest of the camp. Doesn't really have anything to do with this, but it always stuck with me.

2012 was back in the day?  Damn I'm old!

On 12/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, Rocep said:

Nothing should confuse you about wrestlers.  They are an odd bunch.   Some even tuck their sweatshirts in.

AR-311099885.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

3 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I'm quite certain people have been wearing sweatshirts inside out for many years.  I would gather even before the 80's.  I did it in the 70's.  'Trendsetting.'

dang hippies.

When I hit the heavy bag in the basement I tuck in my sweatshirt into my sweatpants and my sweatpants into my socks. The correct answer to why I do this is to keep the heat in. Sometimes I still duck tape my wrists to hold all the heat in, usually when I’m trying to detox from the night before.