Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Just seeing if anyone knows for sure

Anthony Echemendia can apply for lawful permanent US resident status under the Cuban Adjustment Act after living here for one year, if he hasn't already applied - not sure if it's been a calendar year yet for him, but that would get him a green card. Idk if that will be enough for USAW to allow him to compete in WTTs or OTTs until his citizenship status is resolved.

For the Olympics, the IOC has a charter amendment that allows athletes to switch nationalities but there’s a 3 year waiting period in order to mitigate abuse of country-switching. I think the cooling period can be reduced or eliminated if the former country agrees to the athlete’s release (kind of like NCAA rules), but Cuba has a history of blocking defectors from competing for their new countries until they become fully naturalized citizens. I think Chamizo had to sit out for like 4 years after he defected to Italy because he was suspended by Cuba Wrestling and they didn’t want to grant his release.

Edited by pamela

5 hours ago, pamela said:

Anthony Echemendia can apply for lawful permanent US resident status under the Cuban Adjustment Act after living here for one year, if he hasn't already applied - not sure if it's been a calendar year yet for him, but that would get him a green card. Idk if that will be enough for USAW to allow him to compete in WTTs or OTTs until his citizenship status is resolved.

For the Olympics, the IOC has a charter amendment that allows athletes to switch nationalities but there’s a 3 year waiting period in order to mitigate abuse of country-switching. I think the cooling period can be reduced or eliminated if the former country agrees to the athlete’s release (kind of like NCAA rules), but Cuba has a history of blocking defectors from competing for their new countries until they become fully naturalized citizens. I think Chamizo had to sit out for like 4 years after he defected to Italy because he was suspended by Cuba Wrestling and they didn’t want to grant his release.

You need to be eligible to obtain a passport to represent the US at the Olympics, worlds, Pan Ams, etc.  You can't get one unless you're a citizen of the US, which he is not.