Jeffm

You won the Lottery

You’ve won the lottery you’ve decided to donate $10 million to start new NCAA wrestling program(s) in your state.  A major University like Texas would cost $10M, a smaller D1 (not in one of 5 major conferences) would cost $3M, a D2 $500K, D3 $100K.

Which programs would you fund?  I’m from Texas

Small D1

North Texas

University of Houston

D2

Midwestern State

Tarleton St

West Texas A&M

Dallas Baptist

St Edward’s

St Mary’s

Texas A&M Commerce

D3

UT-Dallas

Schreiner

St. Thomas

Southwestern

Texas Lutheran

3 minutes ago, Jeffm said:

You’ve won the lottery you’ve decided to donate $10 million to start new NCAA wrestling program(s) in your state.  A major University like Texas would cost $10M, a smaller D1 (not in one of 5 major conferences) would cost $3M, a D2 $500K, D3 $100K.

Which programs would you fund?  I’m from Texas

Small D1

North Texas

University of Houston

D2

Midwestern State

Tarleton St

West Texas A&M

Dallas Baptist

St Edward’s

St Mary’s

Texas A&M Commerce

D3

UT-Dallas

Schreiner

St. Thomas

Southwestern

Texas Lutheran

I would go with Texas. I think that UT having a program would have more of an impact on the state.

Slippery Rock

For them to do this right I think they need the entire allotment. They also have the all important alumni support and I think they'd get things up and running in short time. 

If there was any money left over (which I doubt)  I would go to the other side of the state and say Swarthmore or Haverford, both smaller colleges. 

Edited by TBar1977

8 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

off the top of my head i'd bring back Moravian College DIII

Slippery Rock back to D1

and i'll throw IUP out there for DII

but let's be honest, PA has enough wrestling schools to choose from

I thought IUP was D1 when they dropped the sport.  Not sure they would be able to come back at D1 as they are D2 in all other sports.  The same could be true for Slippery Rock which a few people mentioned as bringing back D1, but bringing it back D2 might be more realistic.  Though there is a real danger in some of those PSAC schools dropping everything and closing completely.

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well ... get back to us when you've won the $100M lottery else you are just wasting our time ... C'MON MAN!   ;)

I mean I think $10M would get you about 10 years at least.

According to this (page 26) https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017RES_D1-RevExp_Entire_2017_Final_20180123.pdf

the median expenses are $1.115M, which I think doing really rough math makes sense (even at 10 scholarships x $50K + $300K or so in coaching salaries, leaves about $200K for other expenses).

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I mean I think $10M would get you about 10 years at least.

According to this (page 26) https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017RES_D1-RevExp_Entire_2017_Final_20180123.pdf

the median expenses are $1.115M, which I think doing really rough math makes sense (even at 10 scholarships x $50K + $300K or so in coaching salaries, leaves about $200K for other expenses).

No D1 school is going to start a new men's wrestling (non-rev) program unless endowed.  $50M endowment will get you ~ $1.75M annual.  You won't get a new men's program without adding a new women's program so ÷2 gets you $875k annual.  With new facilities coaching & staff salaries, scholarships, travel etc you eat thru all of that.  Half your lotto winning will go to taxes (unless CA, NY or after Warren elected, if such nevermind) thus need $100M lotto, sorry man that's just the math.