Jeffm

You won the Lottery

24 minutes ago, ionel said:

No D1 school is going to start a new men's wrestling (non-rev) program unless endowed.  $50M endowment will get you ~ $1.75M annual.  You won't get a new men's program without adding a new women's program so ÷2 gets you $875k annual.  With new facilities coaching & staff salaries, scholarships, travel etc you eat thru all of that.  Half your lotto winning will go to taxes (unless CA, NY or after Warren elected, if such nevermind) thus need $100M lotto, sorry man that's just the math.  

There are many many schools that would be willing to start up a D1 program for far less.  

7 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Good reason to go to San Diego...No?

11 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

San Diego is practically another state from the Central Valley, where the wrestling talent is. 

That’s not really true.  The southern section is pretty damn good in California. Poway, bosco, Santiago, cavalry chapel and many other great programs aren’t in the Central Valley. Other than Clovis and Buchanan, who carry the entire central section, there’s not many strong programs. Once in a while Clovis easy or west or Bakersfield is tough 

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Now that I live in Maryland I’d go Hopkins and Towson but I’d also do a few high schools in Baltimore.

Interesting you write Hopkins and Towson because wrestling and Lax seem to go hand in hand for some reason.  You frequently see top notch high school wrestlers And lax players do both sports, particularly at prep schools.

I'd have 6 or 7 Arizona jucos start or restart programs and then join the California juco wrestling conference.  Travel costs would be pretty light, and it would benefit wrestling at our local level more than anything, which would benefit our state by turning out guys with college experience to return and coach, overall making the entire state better.  

5 hours ago, PracticeRoomKing said:

That’s not really true.  The southern section is pretty damn good in California. Poway, bosco, Santiago, cavalry chapel and many other great programs aren’t in the Central Valley. Other than Clovis and Buchanan, who carry the entire central section, there’s not many strong programs. Once in a while Clovis easy or west or Bakersfield is tough 

San Diego isn't the Southern Section, and Poway is in San Diego. Bosco and Santiago are in the Southern Section, but are closer to UCLA than to San Diego. Cavalry hasn't been good in 10+ years. Selma is in the Central Section and they were ranked in the country last year. 

18 hours ago, Fishbane said:

I thought IUP was D1 when they dropped the sport.  Not sure they would be able to come back at D1 as they are D2 in all other sports.  The same could be true for Slippery Rock which a few people mentioned as bringing back D1, but bringing it back D2 might be more realistic.  Though there is a real danger in some of those PSAC schools dropping everything and closing completely.

i don't think IUP was ever really competitive at wrestling, especially at the DI level. I remember them basically being the worst team in the PSAC. But it is located in a hot bed of wrestling so a good candidate to bring it back.

19 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Now that I live in Maryland I’d go Hopkins and Towson but I’d also do a few high schools in Baltimore.

Hopkins does have a wrestling program. They are D3 in wrestling like everything else. Men's and Women's lacrosse are their only D1 sports. Would love to see Towson add a program. Such a cool campus and great athletic facilities. 

Home state of Virginia:

Small D1-Bringing the program back at William & Mary (5million)

D3-Adding programs at Lynchburg, Hampden-Sydney and Christopher Newport ($300,00)

Giving the rest to Ferrum (Coach Yetzer is awesome) and Virginia Tech/SERTC

Current state of South Carolina

D1-Bringing the program back at Clemson (10million) 

10 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

Hopkins does have a wrestling program. They are D3 in wrestling like everything else. Men's and Women's lacrosse are their only D1 sports. Would love to see Towson add a program. Such a cool campus and great athletic facilities. 

I didn’t realize that, which means they need the money.

I would love for Cal and UCLA to get a slice of that money but realistically, there are so many hurdles to get any traction with a new sport at a UC that I think a donor would have a better chance to succeed elsewhere. Plus you’ve got AD Chianti Dan Guerrero (even though he might be retiring soon) and Chancellor Block, who do not inspire confidence at UCLA, and Cal athletics is broke from their Memorial Stadium reno debacle.

So, maybe a place like USC where there’s been grassroots interest for years and the sport could potentially thrive in the shadow of football. SC also has a huge international student population which could make for interesting recruiting and a springboard for RTC and free/greco development.

Others: maybe UW to strengthen the sport in the PNW and attract some of the athletes Boise State used to recruit. CU because it’s nearish to the OTC, in an interesting media market, and could recruit the midwest, west, and Texas. CSUF to have CSUF back. Maybe Sac State or Chico State.

19 hours ago, JohnG said:

I'd like to see the ACC expand.  If it's in my state then I'd go with Wake Forest.  But I think Clemson or Georgia Tech would be great options as well. 

clemson, i had forgotten about them when i posted earlier

great idea.

As a big college wrestling fan, I consider the holy grail of a new D1 program to be University of Texas. Others like UCLA, any big Florida school, Washington, etc would be great news...but in my opinion no new program would boost the sport like Texas could. So much wrestling momentum at the youth/HS level in the state already and Texas adding a program would kick it up a notch further. 

University if Colorado (Boulder) is also a sleeper candidate. Tons of talent in that state and not many schools in the Rockies that a lot of kids find desirable destinations. Sure Northern Colorado has a program that’s doing great but it’s also got an acceptance rate over 90% for a reason...not a lot of kids with other choices want to go there. SDSU, Wyoming and Utah Valley are also decent and improving programs, but the reality is most kids perceive those schools differently than they do the big state schools in the Midwest. Colorado looks A LOT more like any Big 10 or Big 12 school than any of the other D1 schools in the Rockies.