Sign in to follow this  
drag it

Perfect matches

Topic for a slow week:  After the Wisconsin dual, Tom Brands complimented DeSanto, Marinelli, and Cassioppi for their big wins and added:  "not perfect of course; this is a sport [where] perfect doesn't happen."  

This was consistent with other things he's said in the past and with the Gable tradition of the relentless but fruitless pursuit of perfection.

I thought it was ironic, though, because I've always viewed Brands' own gold medal match in 1996 as as close to a perfect match as you could get.  He totally dominated the mat for a full 300 seconds; scored in a  variety of ways (literally a clinic -- three slightly different types of counter go behinds; a reattack off a front headlock to an ankle pick; a 3 point exposure on a lift); and threw a 7-0 shutout in an Olympic final. 

Brands being Brands, I'm sure he'd argue that he should have converted one of his own two or three shots that went off the mat or gotten at least one turn and therefore wasn't perfect, but I think that the second best guy in the world is not a tackling dummy and that if you completely dominate him and score five times in five minutes including an exposure without ever being close to giving up a point, that's the human equivalent of perfect.

So throwing open the question:  What high-stakes matches have you seen where you thought that perfect did happen?

I'd like to request that folks take pinfall out of the resulting criteria.  By this logic there are thousands of perfect matches every year.  Maybe tens of thousands.

Or if they don't, to also think of a full match that was perfect.  

Edited by nhs67
because

So many ways to look at or measure perfection....one of Gable's ways of looking at perfection was to win all 10 weight classes at the NCAA tournament...you could look at 6 guys in the finals and 6 guys win NCAA titles....I might say I'm going to hit 6 duckunders ....3 to the right, 3 to the left uncontested/smooth as silk....that could be perfection if I did it....there would have to be criteria in advance.  

Edited by fadzaev2

9 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

So many ways to look at or measure perfection....one of Gable's ways of looking at perfection was to win all 10 weight classes at the NCAA tournament...you could look at 6 guys in the finals and 6 guys win NCAA titles....I might say I'm going to hit 6 duckunders ....3 to the right, 3 to the left uncontested/smooth as silk....that could be perfection if I did it....they would have to be criteria in advance.  

The first two of the things in your reply don't fit the criteria I gave, which started with " a perfect match."  More suggested criteria:  One NCAA or Olympic final match that lasted at least five minutes.  The rest should be up to you; the supporting evidence that you give would naturally give the reader a glimpse into what we might consider perfection -- I think the evidence I gave speaks to that.  Your 3 to the right, 3 to the left tells the reader something about what you consider perfect.  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I actually thought AD’s match against Gross was a near perfect match for him. 

Agree, he was crisp in all his positions and totally under control emotionally.  This is where Brands' Gableism comes in, though; driving for perfection, he wants DeSanto to get the escape because he thinks it'll be needed in March (or maybe next week if everybody shows up to Midlands).  

14 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

....I might say I'm going to hit 6 duckunders ....3 to the right, 3 to the left uncontested/smooth as silk....that could be perfection if I did it....they would have to be criteria in advance.  

I once told my teammates I was going to take my opponent down 10 times and pin him in the first period. That was perfection. Kind of felt bad afterwards.

Any of those matches where a dude just overwhelms the other in an NCAA final and gets a tech or close to it, everything goes their way:

Askren over Herbert

Moore over Lang

Powell over Ott

Mitch Clark over Vertus Jones

Zain over Mayes

etc.

18 year old Abdul Sadulaev taking out the defending world silver medalist,  Salas, by 10-0 tech in 95 seconds for his first Senior World Gold.  If there was a mistake in this match, it was Sadulaev not ducking Salas left hand round house slap after being down 6-0 in the first takedown series. 

On 12/19/2019 at 1:51 AM, Lurker said:

Agreed. What does he know about wrestling to make such an opinion. 

Yeah, how dare somebody criticize an opinion. That's like saying if you can't cook then you don't have the right to complain if the waiter brings a turd on a plate to your table. 

Idiot. 

Edited by TobusRex

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, how dare somebody criticize an opinion. That's like saying if you can't cook then you don't have the right to complain if the waiter brings a turd on a plate to your table. 

Idiot. 

Actually, what you said, it’s not at all like that. It’s more like saying “I wouldn’t pay much attention to the cooking opinion of one of the world’s best cooks”. 

But I won’t argue that I’m an idiot. Good call. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Actually, what you said, it’s not at all like that. It’s more like saying “I wouldn’t pay much attention to the cooking opinion of one of the world’s best cooks”. 

But I won’t argue that I’m an idiot. Good call. 

One of the world's best FREESTYLE cooks. Sorry, couldn't resist :D

For the record,  the only matches I consider "perfect" are falls. Not techs. Not 6-0 decisions. FALLS. 

28 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

One of the world's best FREESTYLE cooks. Sorry, couldn't resist :D

For the record,  the only matches I consider "perfect" are falls. Not techs. Not 6-0 decisions. FALLS. 

That’s one opinion. I’ll agree to disagree.