Sign in to follow this  
cradlewiz

Varner and other "straight edge" wrestlers

I was struck by Varner's comments after winning gold that he would probably celebrate with a chocolate milk snd some Skittles. Cael later went on to make comments about Varner living a "lifestyle" that has brought him this success. We always hear the stories each offseason of wrestlers getting in trouble with the law for drinking and other partying. I'm curious about what elite wrestlers (NCAA DI AA, champs, world team members) that we know for cetain don't drink, smoke, do any drugs and just stay out of trouble and live a relatively clean life. I know Metcalf in an interview said he doesn't drink but who else?

Maybe THIS is the new Olympic event that I should be pushing for (I've already lobbied for drunk boxing, 3,200/2 mile post buffet run, and all events having to have at least one team member who is out of shape and knows nothing about the sport that he/she is participating in), but drunk wrestling.

If you think about it, it would be a fine corallary with drunk boxing. :ugeek:

I could see the Saitev brothers drinking a celebratory vodka...but I don't see any of these guys getting wasted...

I would have thought the same, but the TIME magazine article on Chechen wrestlers (posted a few weeks back) stated that Adam is very religious and fundamentally against alcohol consumption.

*On a side note, is Jake Varner LDS or another religion that is opposed to drinking?

I would have thought the same, but the TIME magazine article on Chechen wrestlers (posted a few weeks back) stated that Adam is very religious and fundamentally against alcohol consumption.

I don't doubt that Adam abstains from drinking, but many of the Russians, despite being Muslim, do not lead a Puritanic lifestyle. I've heard stories from back in the day about how the Eastern Europeans, including World champion level wresters, were definitely into a lot of non-healthy substances. Europe in general has a lot less "straight edge" people.

Hazewinkle and Varner are really the only two I can recall thinking "This guy wouldnt drink a beer if I paid him." The entire women's team is basically the same way. For some reason they are super religious as well.
Wasn't one of the women wrestlers booted from the Olympic team for testing positive for weed?

Who cares if an adult drinks alcohol or not? Last time I checked drinking alcohol wasn't illegal. This is a dumb topic and people shouldn't be judged based on if they drink or not or if they believe and praise God or not.

What is also funny is references to drinking alcohol are all over the bible. So you bible thumpers who think alcohol is the demon, realize references to having a drink are plentiful in the old religious lore. So, have a drink, relax and get over this dumb theory that you have to not drink alcohol to be clean.

Plenty of people live a clean lifestyle and still enjoy a drink now and then. No one is better or worse because they do or don't drink.

Fastwilly, I don't think anyone was saying athletes shouldn't be able to make their own decisions or that we shouldn't support them based on it.

Though I think it is important to realize that there are elite athletes who live a clean life and there have been many studies that have show it helps in reducing injury and assist in a quick recovery.

With that said, there are many athletes that drink often and in high volumes that also succeed in sport. This is most common in baseball, of course, where there is less physical demands on an athlete but it also occurs in wrestling.

I think this topic is very relevant. When we find people that are successful it is important to find attributes that these people share. Yes, these attributes may not have any significance in their successes, but if it does would you not want to also reap the same benefits?

I think I had heard that Cejudo and Fittery didn't drink.

Fastwilly, I don't think anyone was saying athletes shouldn't be able to make their own decisions or that we shouldn't support them based on it.

Though I think it is important to realize that there are elite athletes who live a clean life and there have been many studies that have show it helps in reducing injury and assist in a quick recovery.

With that said, there are many athletes that drink often and in high volumes that also succeed in sport. This is most common in baseball, of course, where there is less physical demands on an athlete but it also occurs in wrestling.

I think this topic is very relevant. When we find people that are successful it is important to find attributes that these people share. Yes, these attributes may not have any significance in their successes, but if it does would you not want to also reap the same benefits?

I think I had heard that Cejudo and Fittery didn't drink.

Cejudo may not have drank, but the word is out there he attended many of the famous Olympic sex parties while at the olympics. So, is unmarried group sex clean? I mean, where do we draw the line?

Fastwilly

I started this "stupid" thread as you called it because I think that it is commendable to be a high level athlete and to deny yourself the basic pleasures that those around you get to enjoy. It is also nice to be able to point to examples of athletes who avoid temptations and succeed. I got a chance to meet John Smith last year and he said that most Olympic medalists dont drink at all. Also as a high school wrestling coach I stress to my wrestlers that they dont have to be like all the "cool kids" and party and drink because in the end it will hurt their performance. Should we not be pointing out to teenagers that wrestling takes a total commitment and they dont have to drink and party to fit in? Why are you so offended by this topic?

Fastwilly

I started this "stupid" thread as you called it because I think that it is commendable to be a high level athlete and to deny yourself the basic pleasures that those around you get to enjoy. It is also nice to be able to point to examples of athletes who avoid temptations and succeed. I got a chance to meet John Smith last year and he said that most Olympic medalists dont drink at all. Also as a high school wrestling coach I stress to my wrestlers that they dont have to be like all the "cool kids" and party and drink because in the end it will hurt their performance. Should we not be pointing out to teenagers that wrestling takes a total commitment and they dont have to drink and party to fit in? Why are you so offended by this topic?

If you are trying to reach high school students with the message then post it in the high school section. These are adults we are talking about. So it's not commendable to be a high level athlete and to drink? Why can't we start a thread about top wrestlers who get wasted - trust me I know there are plenty. Sure, it's commendable to send a message to high school kids, but not once did you mention anything about sending a message to HS kids in this thread, instead, 15 posts later when someone calls out this thread you change the tone of what the topic is about. The topic is about wrestlers who live a clean lifestyle, not educating HS students on why living a clean lifestyle can lead to success. If that's what you meant you should say that. I responded to a thread that I think the topic is overblown. Drinking is not illegal for the people being referenced, it is for HS students, and they shouldn't drink, but that wasn't the topic of discussion presented.

Fastwilly, I think you're a little too sensitive, if this thread in anyway offends you!

Pinnum, I am not offended at all, I am just looking at the other side of the scenario and offering another view. It doesn't mean it's right, doesn't mean it's wrong but just one other guys opinion.

My opinion is the "he doesn't drink" so that must be what led him to success attitude is overblown. Obviously no one is saying because he didn't drink he won or succeeded, but that generalization is overblown in my opinion.

I'll gladly have a drink with you and discuss if you like!

Ha that sounds fine to me!

I am not sure it is overblown but even if it was overblown, I would want any athlete to error on the side of performance enhancement.

Probably best to agree to disagree.

Okay Pinnum, I'll agree to disagree with you because I respect your points, posts and contributions over time. I may however, just continue to disagree with others! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fast you're a slow and sad individual that seems to be looking for an argumnet with anybody who will engage you. Feel free to start a thread about wrestlers who get wasted and were NCAA champs or world level medalists, I'm not stopping you. I also wont question your motivations for starting such thread or tell you where to post it as you have done with me. By the way I'm a Christian but definitely not a bible thumper. I think people should live however they want (legally) free of judgement from everyone but God, assuming they believe in God. My days of hard drinkng and other vices have passed, but I do drink in moderation. I also wasn't an NCAA champ or Olympic medalist.