Rich-JerseyStrong

Near Future for college HWY's looks awesome

I have been thinking about this a lot lately.  And I am SUPER EXCITED thinking about the near Future of the HEAVYWEIGHT division.

How about the Hwy field, in college and then the Senior level, over the next few years. In my opinion it hasn't been very competitive at all since about 05' and the years before, with Mocco, Rowlands, Konrad and such. Next few years after that, wasnt the best Hwys of the time.  Then Nelson dominated for best 3 yrs, then Gwiz and Synder. And then last year it cracked the surface, Cassar and Gable.

But starting next year, I believe we will have 8 guys that on any given year could win it all.  And then another 5 or so to keep them honest and make sure they are always going their hardest.

CASSAR- who may be back for 1 more year.

GABLE-with 3 more yrs. 

PARRIS- Has looked awesome this year, a big difference from last year. Ranked #2

CASSIOPPI- a 2x triple crown winner, 20-2 unattached last year. And completely controlled Hilger this year. Ranked #3

COLTON SCHULTZ- 4X state champ, 188-2 in HS, Dave Schultz award winner, several time freestyle and cadet national champ. Took 2nd at Final X. Is in finals of the senior open tomorrow. 

KERKVLIET- 4X state champ, 3-2 loss to Gable in HS when he was 220.  Jr Freestyle world champ.  Looked really tough and lost a close one to Tony Nelson.  20 more lbs of muscle and another year under his belt, working with Cassar, Nevliss and Synder- SCARY.

AJ FERRARI- P4P best HS wrestler this yr, f he comes in at 240 next year, wow.  He isnt 220 Fast or Hwy quick, he Is Wrestler quick.  He looks like a 65lber shooting his doubles.  He could probably AA this year.

Then, just a tad on the outside, because of weight class for Amos and size for Fernandes
BRAXTON AMOS- hopefully he puts on 20 lbs of muscle and goes to Hwy. 3x Ironman, Super 32, going for 3rd Powerade and state championship, only reason it probably wasnt 4 for all them was injury.  5 stop signs from fargo in freestyle and Greco.  #2 in the county at 220 and p4p in HS.
LEWIS FERNANDES- 2X NJ state champ, won at FloNationals, 3rd at NHSCA jr nationals.  Is 15-1 unattached this year, with pins over the #38 and #39 ranked Hwys. His only loss is to #31 Gary Traub, RS jr at Ohio state 6-4, who is also 15-1 while unattached.  Especially if he puts on just a little bit of size, he was only about 225 when he pinned every opponent, except 1, to win his 2nd state title last year. 

And a second tier of 
TRENT HILGER- #4, with 2 more yrs
ORNDORF- #6, 2 more years
STENCEL- #7, 1 more year
SINGLETARY- #10, who is 3-0 and probably should be top 5, 2 more years
WOOD- top 10, with 1 more year
ELAM- 4-0 unattached rd of 12 last yr, 2 more seasons
And
NEVILLS- the youngest, only 4x Hwy state champ in CA., 4 yrs of eligibility 

And then at the senior level, Dom Bradley, Tony Nelson, and Gwiz.

But especially in college, I am super excited to see these match ups over the next 2-3 yrs.

AJ Ferrari vs anyone of them right now.

Parris vs Kerkvliet 
Kerkvliet in his rematch with Gable
Cassioppi and Schultz, both very skilled at Greco
Cassar and Gable again 
Cassar and this new and improved Parris
Cassar and Ferrari
Cassar and Fernandes, 2 Jersey guys, similar size, quick and very offensive

Amos with rematches with Gable and Kerkvliet 

CANT WAIT.

Wont even go into it now, but 97's future looks great too.... Cardenas, possibly Amos and Dustin Plott, Rocky Elam, Kyle Haas and more.  WOOO

3 hours ago, simple said:

Your tiers are way off

Ohhhh. Ok.  Then please share with me your thoughts and reasoning.  Rather than just "your tiers are way off"

I could have broke it down to 3 or 4 tiers, however.  I was specifically speaking of those who are thought were frontrunners and then the rest that are a step or so behind. 

58 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Someone need to remind this guy that Hilger is a returning AA

Im quite aware of that.  And I believe he will AA the next 3 yrs. However I dond think he will win it.  This year, maybe a 3rd with the right seeding.  However all the guys I listed, besides Amos, would beat him.  

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

AJ Ferrari is not in a better tier than Hilger. 

A high school senior isn’t able to AA at heavyweight. AJ is a good high school wrestler, but he is the weakest #1 p4p in years. I am still dumbfounded by that ranking. 

Hahahah. First off, I didn't say he could beat Hilger as a Senior.  However in 2 years and some size, I think he destroys him.  Weakest p4p, hmmmm ok. Please share some facts behind that. 2 yrs ago he completely dominated Christianson, who was the #2

1 hour ago, Rich-JerseyStrong said:

Hahahah. First off, I didn't say he could beat Hilger as a Senior.  However in 2 years and some size, I think he destroys him.  Weakest p4p, hmmmm ok. Please share some facts behind that. 2 yrs ago he completely dominated Christianson, who was the #2

2019 #1 - Kerklevit - multiple  age level medalist, including cadet gold, only really lost to Gable Steveson

2018 - Gable Steveson - 3 time age level world champion, make final X at 18

2017 - Daton Fix (Spencer Lee is #2, Yianni #3) - all have age level golds

2016 - Mark Hall - multiple time age level gold

2015 - Zahid Valencia - junior world silver

2014 - Kyle Snyder - multiple time age level world medalist, including junior gold

AJ isn’t even in the same league as any of these guys. He has a cadet world bronze - solid, but plenty of cadet bronzes don’t pan out in college.

The same cannot be said for multiple age level medalist, like every other #1 in the last 7+ years (besides Zahid - he only won one junior silver) of those guys at worst places 3rd their freshman year (and Gable was a true freshman). Yianni and Lee won titles as true freshman, and Fix places 2nd his redshirt year. 

AJ is by far the least proven #1 in the last 7 classes, and likely more than that. 

or do you think he is ahead of any guy on this list?

3 hours ago, Rich-JerseyStrong said:

Ohhhh. Ok.  Then please share with me your thoughts and reasoning.  Rather than just "your tiers are way off"

I could have broke it down to 3 or 4 tiers, however.  I was specifically speaking of those who are thought were frontrunners and then the rest that are a step or so behind. 

Alright!

Folkstyle tier 1

Gable & Cassar

tier 2

Kerk, Parris, Cassioppi

After that it’s pretty convoluted 

freestyle

tier 1

Gable

tier 2

Kerk, Parris, Cassioppi

Cassar would be tier 2 or 3. Not enough info

35 minutes ago, simple said:

Alright!

Folkstyle tier 1

Gable & Cassar

tier 2

Kerk, Parris, Cassioppi

freestyle

tier 1

Gable

tier 2

Kerk, Parris, Cassioppi

You don’t think Hillger is a tier two folkstyler, considering he AA’d in folk style, and none of your tier two guys have yet?

17 minutes ago, jchapman said:

You don’t think Hillger is a tier two folkstyler, considering he AA’d in folk style, and none of your tier two guys have yet?

No, I dont. He’s 0-1 vs Cassioppi and 0-1 vs Parris which was last year. Parris has jumped levels since then. I think Hilger is very good, but he’s tier 3 with some other AA’s who won’t ever truly compete for a title. He’s probably the best of “tier 3” guys though

1 hour ago, simple said:

Alright!

Folkstyle tier 1

Gable & Cassar

tier 2

Kerk, Parris, Cassioppi

freestyle

tier 1

Gable

tier 2

Kerk, Parris, Cassioppi

If I would have broken it down further, tier 1 would definitely include Kerkvliet, parris, Cassioppi and Schultz.  Next year, any one of those can win it. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

2019 #1 - Kerklevit - multiple  age level medalist, including cadet gold, only really lost to Gable Steveson

2018 - Gable Steveson - 3 time age level world champion, make final X at 18

2017 - Daton Fix (Spencer Lee is #2, Yianni #3) - all have age level golds

2016 - Mark Hall - multiple time age level gold

2015 - Zahid Valencia - junior world silver

2014 - Kyle Snyder - multiple time age level world medalist, including junior gold

AJ isn’t even in the same league as any of these guys. He has a cadet world bronze - solid, but plenty of cadet bronzes don’t pan out in college.

The same cannot be said for multiple age level medalist, like every other #1 in the last 7+ years (besides Zahid - he only won one junior silver) of those guys at worst places 3rd their freshman year (and Gable was a true freshman). Yianni and Lee won titles as true freshman, and Fix places 2nd his redshirt year. 

AJ is by far the least proven #1 in the last 7 classes, and likely more than that. 

or do you think he is ahead of any guy on this list?

AJ might not have the accolades, but he is just as good as any of those.  And has the potential of anyone of those.  I havent seen anyone in the last 2 yrs hang with him at all. And I definitely see him finishing with 3-4 AA's and 1-3 titles.  

43 minutes ago, Rich-JerseyStrong said:

If I would have broken it down further, tier 1 would definitely include Kerkvliet, parris, Cassioppi and Schultz.  Next year, any one of those can win it. 

Meh, one of those first three would have to jump levels again for that. Schultz is not as good at folk as you think he is and has no chance to win a title next year. Ferrari should RS. He’s not beating the top 4 anytime soon.