scramble

Freestyle Senior Nationals_Final Day

I just figured since the other thread is now 24 pages long I would start a new one for the final day.  

Also, no disrespect intended but it would be great if the rest of us could have this thread to discuss the wrestling without having to sift pages to find one non-argumentative comment.   

Just for topic starters.

Who do you have for the finals?

My picks

57kg:  Iowa 

Man Tomasello looks great, but the kid from Iowa seems to be showing he hasn't lost a step in freestyle. 

65kg: Oliver

McKenna is rolling in this tournament.  He has been very impressive.  I think he will have a hard time getting to JO's legs though. I am also curious to see how a fully hydrated and rested JO looks.

74Kg: Massa

Massa is on his game in this tournament.  On a different day I would probably go with Lewis, but in this tournament Massa I think he owns the day. 

86Kg: Zahid

Great tournament by MyMar, but I would pick Ringer if they go again.  MyMar is solid and him taking a match from Ringer didn't surprise me, but I think ringer wins 4 out of 5 times.  Regardless, Zahid seems to still be on an upward trajectory and he is already so good.  Zahid takes this one. 

97Kg: 

Zillmer

When you think about it he is rarely discussed, but he has been the number 2 behind J'Den the last couple years. Correct?  Didn't he also take a match in a best of 3 against J'Den a couple years back?  Moore has wrestled fantastic, but I am going with Zillmer here. 

125Kg: Bradley

I was impressed with Kerk.  I thought he would have a little tougher time adjusting to the older guys with him being so young. Still, he got big brothered by Nelson.  Dom on the other hand has looked really good. He has scored more points in this tournament than I think he has in a long time.  What was it Bradley said "that's mans strength there".  Nelson won't be able to just overpower Bradley.

On a side note: I hope Cassar is okay. 

I thought about Massa too because Lewis wrestlers down to his opponents and Massa tends to rally late, but I think the gap in athleticism is too big. 

Definitely could be Bradley, but I’m betting grown-ass man strength doesn’t work as well on other grown-ass men and Nelson wins a snoozer on criteria, something like losing a criteria point in the first (since he’ll almost certainly be put on the clock first), then the obligatory shot clock for Bradley in period 2 that gives Nelson the point and criteria for the win. 

12 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I thought about Massa too because Lewis wrestlers down to his opponents and Massa tends to rally late, but I think the gap in athleticism is too big. 

Definitely could be Bradley, but I’m betting grown-ass man strength doesn’t work as well on other grown-ass men and Nelson wins a snoozer on criteria, something like losing a criteria point in the first (since he’ll almost certainly be put on the clock first), then the obligatory shot clock for Bradley in period 2 that gives Nelson the point and criteria for the win. 

You could be right there.  zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ

46 minutes ago, scramble said:

My picks

57kg:  Iowa 

Man Tomasello looks great, but the kid from Iowa seems to be showing he hasn't lost a step in freestyle. 

65kg: Oliver

McKenna is rolling in this tournament.  He has been very impressive.  I think he will have a hard time getting to JO's legs though. I am also curious to see how a fully hydrated and rested JO looks.

74Kg: Massa

Massa is on his game in this tournament.  On a different day I would probably go with Lewis, but in this tournament Massa I think he owns the day. 

86Kg: Zahid

Great tournament by MyMar, but I would pick Ringer if they go again.  MyMar is solid and him taking a match from Ringer didn't surprise me, but I think ringer wins 4 out of 5 times.  Regardless, Zahid seems to still be on an upward trajectory and he is already so good.  Zahid takes this one. 

97Kg: 

Zillmer

When you think about it he is rarely discussed, but he has been the number 2 behind J'Den the last couple years. Correct?  Didn't he also take a match in a best of 3 against J'Den a couple years back?  Moore has wrestled fantastic, but I am going with Zillmer here. 

125Kg: Bradley

I was impressed with Kerk.  I thought he would have a little tougher time adjusting to the older guys with him being so young. Still, he got big brothered by Nelson.  Dom on the other hand has looked really good. He has scored more points in this tournament than I think he has in a long time.  What was it Bradley said "that's mans strength there".  Nelson won't be able to just overpower Bradley.

On a side note: I hope Cassar is okay. 

Great points regarding Zillmer totally agree

Moore was beaten by Zilmer in a close match 6 months ago 12-10. Moore was up most of the match until getting planted late and giving up 7. I don't think Moore makes the same mistake today. And Zillmer has not been the #2, Gadson has. I believe the last time they met Gadson teched Zillmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwsPewSV2L8&frags=pl%2Cwn

Edited by DocBZ

1 minute ago, DocBZ said:

Moore was beaten by Zilmer in a close match 6 months ago 12-10. Was up most of the match until getting planted late. I don't think he makes the same mistake today. And Zilmer has not been the #2, Gadson has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwsPewSV2L8&frags=pl%2Cwn

Doc, thanks for the clarification.

In 2018 Zillmer was behind J'Den.  After 2018 he moved up to 97Kg so he could grow into the weight in preparation for 2020.  He has had some success internationally there. 

My only case, albeit a thin one, is that Zillmer seems to show more consistency than Moore. Granted, Moore seems to show he steps up in the big moments. I guess he is consistent in that, which is what really matters.  

It should be a good match either way, but I am still picking Zillmer by a photo finish.  

26 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I bet all happen. Why not? It’s only one more match after a full day’s rest and there’s nothing to lose (all finalists have qualified) and a better seeding at OTT to gain, which for some weights could be huge.

Injury risk, particularly for the 3 guys competing in NCAA this season.  But yeah, hopefully they all happen.

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

Anyone have any bold predictions for a finals match ending in technical superiority? 

I’ll start by saying I predict Lee techs NATO. I realize it’s unlikely but I feel like this match is the best bet to see a technical superiority. 

I think JO is the best bet.

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I think JO is the best bet.

Yeah I could definitely see it. I see JO getting out to a quick lead 6-0 or 8-0. Then after the break coasting to a 6-8 point win. But it wouldn’t surprise me if McKenna scored on him in the 2nd. McKenna has a pretty solid gas tank, but if JO can go hard for the entire 6 minutes he could easily pick up a tech. 

Just now, scramble said:

Good clarification.  Thanks

To be clear(Forums search can confirm) I have been a large Zillmer proponent and believe he is the one best equipped to consistently beat Gadson.

Folks also tend to forget that Gadson is like a domestic Snyder. He drops matches but always ends up being there against Snyder come trials.

Hell the 2019 US Open saw Schafer beat him right? Where tf is Schafer now?