Antitroll2828

Askren in the transfer portal

For me personally:

-I listened to almost every FRL with Willie and enjoyed it.

-I’ve listened to every FRL since Willie left and I still enjoy it.

-I’m really looking forward to Askren joining and bringing a new perspective. 

Often times on this board we get so pitted on motives and only being able to like the show one way or another. Folks it’s okay to enjoy the show even when the hosts change around a little. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Didnt willie say this was going to happen almost immediately after leaving? It appears this has been in the making for some time.

It came off to me like Willie’s statement was that they were making an offer to Askren to replace himself.  Could be wrong.

I would assume even if Askren doesn’t do the Rudis podcast anymore that they’d put someone else there, like Logan Stieber maybe.

17 hours ago, OBXWrestler said:

Can someone explain this take to me? I have listened to almost every episode of FRL and never gotten this impression. In fact CP leans Penn State a ton. Askren does hate Iowa though. 

Basically every big fan base overreacts to some criticism of their program...  When it happens a few die hards project it to whatever media outlet said it for the rest of time is biased against them.

Does Ben still coach for the WiscRTC? I never see/hear him promote or anything of the sort (I could just be missing it I guess) and he is never in anyones corners at these sr level events. Does his arrangement with UW just need him to run practice? He mentions "helping" a few times a week but other than that I feel that I hardly see anything from him in regard to his position with the WiscRTC. 

8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

FRL is basically admitting that minus Willie, those that remained, CP, Nomad, and Bratke, just couldn't maintain the show's audience. 

Or maybe Flo had an opportunity to improve the show by bringing in someone who is one of the most well-known wrestling personalities in the country, who has a huge social media following as well as one of the most dominant and influential collegiate wrestlers in the last few decades...

Edit: changed decorated to dominant

Edited by wamba

31 minutes ago, wamba said:

Or maybe Flo had an opportunity to improve the show by bringing in someone who is one of the most well-known wrestling personalities in the country, who has a huge social media following, who is a wrestling innovator in addition to being one of the most decorated collegiate wrestlers in the last few decades...

I agree with you on most of this except  the most decorated college career part since he graduated there have been two 4 timers and and 7 people who won 3 titles , with zahid, Lee, cenzo,  all going for number 3 this year and yianni next year ...Ben was a force his last 2 years but there have a lot of recent wrestlers who have had better college careers then him 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I agree with you on most of this except  the most decorated college career part since he graduated there have been two 4 timers and and 7 people who won 3 titles , with zahid, Lee, cenzo,  all going for number 3 this year and yianni next year ...Ben was a force his last 2 years but there have a lot of recent wrestlers who have had better college careers then him 

I guess it depends on how you frame the discussion. Maybe “decorated” was the wrong word and I should have used “dominant” instead.

2x Hodge winner  

4x finalist

2x champ

91 career pins (3rd all time)

That’s rare company. His dominance over his final two years was crazy.

Its crazy that Nickal seemed to be a pinning machine and he has 59 pins compared to Askren’s 91. If Bo would have increased his pin rate by 50% he’d have still been just behind Askren. That’s just nuts.

Edited by wamba

6 minutes ago, wamba said:

I guess it depends on how you frame the discussion. Maybe “decorated” was the wrong word and I should have used “dominant” instead.

2x Hodge winner  

4x finalist

2x champ.

Its crazy that Nickal seemed to be a pinning machine and he has 59 pins compared to Askren’s 91. That’s just nuts.

This exactly. 

Askren later on in his career pinned everyone who engaged with him. It was absolutely crazy. In hindsight it seems less impressive, but when you watch it unfold it is mind blowing. He was pinning guys who never got pinned. It seemed like magic. 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You are picking nits.  What are you trying to say he isn't top 10 of the past 20 years he's only top 15 or top 20, so that statement isn't true?  That's ridiculous.  He is one of 4 wrestlers to win multiple Hodge awards.  He is one of maybe 15 4-time finalists.  He was the OW of NCAAs when he thoroughly beat Jake Herbert  in the NCAA finals.  That was one of only 4 matches Herbert lost in college. Askren himself only lost 8 matches and had over 90 falls in his career which is the most by far in the past 35 years.  He has three more conference championships and a better winning pct. than Lee and Cenzo both individually and combined. 

Edited by Fishbane

1 hour ago, wamba said:

2x Hodge winner  

4x finalist

2x champ

Its crazy that Nickal seemed to be a pinning machine and he has 59 pins compared to Askren’s 91. If Bo would have increased his pin rate by 50% he’d have still been just behind Askren. That’s just nuts.

I agree he’s one of the most dominant guys but I’m just pointing out that off the top of my head I can think of 7 guys with more titles and less career loses since he graduated, my point was guys have had better careers . I’ve been a fan of askren since the first time I watched him wrestle I also think he has a great mindset for coaching as well so I’m not over here hating he was a one man wrecking crew those final 2 years just pointing out guys have had better full 4 years

4 hours ago, iGranby said:

Does Ben still coach for the WiscRTC? I never see/hear him promote or anything of the sort (I could just be missing it I guess) and he is never in anyones corners at these sr level events. Does his arrangement with UW just need him to run practice? He mentions "helping" a few times a week but other than that I feel that I hardly see anything from him in regard to his position with the WiscRTC. 

He said on one of this weekend’s podcasts that he was coaching Evan Wick this weekend.

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I agree he’s one of the most dominant guys but I’m just pointing out that off the top of my head I can think of 7 guys with more titles and less career loses since he graduated, my point was guys have had better careers . I’ve been a fan of askren since the first time I watched him wrestle I also think he has a great mindset for coaching as well so I’m not over here hating he was a one man wrecking crew those final 2 years just pointing out guys have had better full 4 years

He lost 8 times and 7 were to Chris Pendleton who was champ the 2 years he wasn’t.

31 minutes ago, moose41 said:

He lost 8 times and 7 were to Chris Pendleton who was champ the 2 years he wasn’t.

Yea I am aware and Imar has 3 career loses ,1 to nolf who has 3 titles and 2 to Joseph who has 2....Nolf had 1 lose in his whole career (Imar)...Zain lost 3 total times (twice to a 4 timer who he also beat) ....dake lost 3 or 4 times total In his career and won titles over a 3 time finalist, a 2 time finalist, an ncaa champ and Olympian and David Taylor....David Taylor lost 3 total matches (2 to dake)...I could keep going ....

10 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea I am aware and Imar has 3 career loses ,1 to nolf who has 3 titles and 2 to Joseph who has 2....Nolf had 1 lose in his whole career (Imar)...Zain lost 3 total times (twice to a 4 timer who he also beat) ....dake lost 3 or 4 times total In his career and won titles over a 3 time finalist, a 2 time finalist, an ncaa champ and Olympian and David Taylor....David Taylor lost 3 total matches (2 to dake)...I could keep going ....

Not really, which is the point. Any list of guys you tried to come up with for guys as decorated or more than Askren from the past 20 years would be short.   List of guys who have won 2 or more Hodges - real short.  List of guys who only lost to 2 or fewer individuals in college - also real short.   List of guys who wrestled in 4 ncaa finals - real short too.  List of guys who won over 50% of their matches by fall - real short. 

11 hours ago, moose41 said:

That's got to be one of the more lopsided rivalries between two top guys in collegiate wrestling.  Funny how Pendleton always had his number.  Even years later I think they wrestled in Freestyle and Pendleton won

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He said on one of this weekend’s podcasts that he was coaching Evan Wick this weekend.

Maybe - I know I saw him sitting at the announcer's table at one point. That said, I echo iGranby's query - I follow Wisconsin wrestling and never hear boo about him on their wrestling forum. Not sure how to interpret that. Could be part of his agreement with Bono that he tones down the personality so as to not take away the hype from the Badgers. Alternatively, I am suspicious that Ben was hired only for his "name recognition." Askren was a serious competitor for the WI head coach spot by many fans. When Ben came in their two "big names" in the WiscRTC (Kulchytsky and Henderson) left/fired - not sure of the details...and then there were no official RTC residents.

Not sure what the details are is, but the WI wrestling forum doesn't really talk about the situation. 

3 hours ago, lost said:

That's got to be one of the more lopsided rivalries between two top guys in collegiate wrestling.  Funny how Pendleton always had his number.  Even years later I think they wrestled in Freestyle and Pendleton won

Lincoln Mac / Chris Bono would like a word...

34 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’m Anti all Ohio sport teams but I’m a big fan of Dernlan 

All of the Dernlan boys are righteous dudes.

/e - Just to add, for those uninitiated...

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sports/high-school/dernlan-brothers-teamed-for-state-championships/aAxl3YjifXd75HvHLZsikN/

Edited by stp

7 hours ago, npope said:

Maybe - I know I saw him sitting at the announcer's table at one point. That said, I echo iGranby's query - I follow Wisconsin wrestling and never hear boo about him on their wrestling forum. Not sure how to interpret that. Could be part of his agreement with Bono that he tones down the personality so as to not take away the hype from the Badgers. Alternatively, I am suspicious that Ben was hired only for his "name recognition." Askren was a serious competitor for the WI head coach spot by many fans. When Ben came in their two "big names" in the WiscRTC (Kulchytsky and Henderson) left/fired - not sure of the details...and then there were no official RTC residents.

Not sure what the details are is, but the WI wrestling forum doesn't really talk about the situation. 

Bono needed the money for Ronna Heaton.