stp

Who's better at developing wrestlers?

I know this isn’t Iowa or Ohio State, but Pat Popolizio does a phenomenal job developing wrestlers. And I’m far from an N.C. State fan. The best example is Michael Macchiavello. He went from being a 1 time high school state champion in North Carolina, to a losing season his true freshman year, to a ~.500 record his true sophomore year, to being a national champion his senior year. 

7 hours ago, WF89 said:

I’d give Iowa (Brands) the edge over Ohio State (Ryan)

Ohio State seems to start with better recruits so less development is required though.

I agree with this.  Until now, tOSU has had better recruits compared to Iowa the last 5 years.

I would say overall, Iowa is better.

TOSU has had some great freshman campaigns that were limping across the line as seniors.

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

OMG its not even close. Iowa by a mile.

tOSU outrecruits them badly, and then their studs get beat because they have really fixable holes in their style. Tom Ryan had two freshmen NCAA champs not repeat in 6 tries.

And those 2 only had 1 other finals appearance afterwards...

Pretty much what's stated in the thread. Iowa is better at developing, but Ryan and Co. are better at a.more.important skill. The Brands' skill in development is not as valuable in.a world where.many wrestlers are coming to college more developed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not Iowa or Ohio state answer but ditto on the nc state answer. Pop does an amazing job for the pack and that’s great for the acc even though it chaps me when they beat VT. VT has also done a great job of wrestler development such as all Americans who weren’t high school studs like penny, haught, Yates and ty walz

17 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Neither. Obviously "God" deserves all the credit, I can tell from the interviews afterward.....

Yes. That’s for sure. God spends a lot of time working out who he wants to win and lose. The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers. But ... 

Ok I got that out of my system. 

37 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

There is only one OSU in wrestling.  There is OU and OKST.  <smiley here> 

There is also one THE Ohio State.

And one Tom Ryan.

I think very highly of Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands and John Smith- they're all Hall of Famers, but I wouldn't trade our coach for any of them.

He knows how to build a program; how to sustain it, and how to rebound if things don't go his way.   (Welcome, J'den Cox.)

I love his faith- a very unpopular topic in today's agnostic society.  

He's endured tragedy, and his faith has sustained him and his family.

Ask any of his wrestlers what they think of him.  

Ask me...a physically broken down older guy who Tom offered to help without even knowing me.