hammerlockthree

Been awhile since a real Flo film....

I think it’s a bit too expensive to do anything beyond an interview with some clips mixed in. Like the E:60 documentaries.  Overall I’m happy with them.

Maybe flo could also buy streaming rights to actual documentaries that involve wrestling (like that lance Palmer one from back in the day or that one about poor kids wrestling in the south that aired on PBS). But I’m not sure that would be worth the investment either. 

In a a world where money weren’t an obstacle I’d love to see a documentary on the history of wrestling. Like the Ken Burns Baseball epic-one that explores the history of the sport from its origins in ancient times and the beginning of NCAA and Olympic wrestling, through the major periods of wrestling. This is a sport that like baseball has an incredible history. Of course, unlike baseball very few people would watch this doc so it won’t ever be made.

Edited by Billyhoyle

3 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

In a a world where money weren’t an obstacle I’d love to see a documentary on the history of wrestling. Like the Ken Burns Baseball epic-one that explores the history of the sport from its origins in ancient times and the beginning of NCAA and Olympic wrestling, through the major periods of wrestling.

Absolutely. I think this would be awesome, but I would want to see NCAA and Olympics seperate. I think if you cover both its not focused enough. 

Im surprised we havent seen something like top 5 pinners, top 5 riders, or top 5 takedown artists like you would see on Espn or the NFL network. These kind of convos always end up several pages long on here guarenteed, and if flo did it right, got good commentary from coaches/wrestlers/ and even a few personalities on it, I think they would get lots of views.

Edited by russelscout

The more I think about it in the more I read about him I would just love to know more about the guy.3 time Oregon state champion with a record of 80-1 in high school. He won medals in 4 straight years, 66 WC bronze, 67 WC silver, 68 Olympics silver & 69 WC Gold. He also won a silver in the 72 Olympics.

In college, he was even more unreal. As a freshman in 1965 at Portland State, he went undefeated, won the 115 lb. national championship & was named outstanding wrestler.

Sophmore year saw PSU move to the NCAA. At the time, NCAA's had both college division (small schools like D3 and some D2) which is today's division 2 and University divsion (big schools D1). I don't know the rules of qualifying for both. It may have been like in later years where the Division 2 and Division 3 champion got to wrestle in the D1 tourney but I'm not sure. In any event Sanders actually lost the college division championship after bumping up to 123 lbs. but 2 weeks later he won the university championship at 115.

As a junior he went undefeated winning both national titles at 115 lbs. and was named outstanding wrestler in both tournaments.

As a senior he moved up to 123 lbs. and  won his second college division national championship and was named outstanding wrestler while again going undefeated. Two weeks later he lost his 2nd college match ever and finished second in the u.niversity division. So in college he wrestled in 7 National Championships. He won 5 (NAIA, 2 NCAA College Division & 2 NCAA University Division) national titles along with a 2nd and a 3rd. He also won 4 outstanding wrestler awards and finished college with a record of 103-2.

I know everybody can read his records and such just as easily as I can. I just think this is a guy who was one of the elite in our country, possibly the best ever at the lowest weight, and it would be nice if he wasn't forgotten by a lot of fans of USA Wrestling.

3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Sophmore year saw PSU move to the NCAA. At the time, NCAA's had both college division (small schools like D3 and some D2) which is today's division 2 and University divsion (big schools D1). I don't know the rules of qualifying for both. It may have been like in later years where the Division 2 and Division 3 champion got to wrestle in the D1 tourney but I'm not sure. In any event Sanders actually lost the college division championship after bumping up to 123 lbs. but 2 weeks later he won the university championship at 115.

The NCAA championship was actually a non-qualifying tournament until the late 1960s, meaning it was open (not for multiple wrestlers per team per weight, but open in the sense you didn't have to win anything to go really).

On 12/25/2019 at 7:52 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Where did these go? They did one with Yianni but that basically just a US Open recap with slow motion mixed in.

Then Yianni went out there and promptly got beat. Maybe there's a FLO curse, kinda like the Madden Football curse?

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

The NCAA championship was actually a non-qualifying tournament until the late 1960s, meaning it was open (not for multiple wrestlers per team per weight, but open in the sense you didn't have to win anything to go really).

Until 1970. We had the regionals after the Conferences first time in 1971.