russelscout

I'm going to my first NCAA's

Its official! I am finally going to make it to the NCAA tournament. 

This may surprise some of you, but I have never been to the big dance. I have followed it through themat, espn3, and flo thoroughly, but a I have never seen it in real life. I missed the years when one of my best buddies AA'd in Omaha. I wasn't able to make it when it was in Des Moines when a kid I coached was wrestling. This has been something that I have always talked about and always planned on going to, but work, coaching and married life has taken priority. This year I am finally going. I got a couple of college friends together and hopefully we can now make it an annual thing since we are all a decade removed from college and are starting to have some expendable income. Anyways, I just wanted to share that because it can't come fast enough for me. Obviously I want to see the Hawks win it, but win , lose, or draw I will be ecstatic just to finally be there. That is all. 

Good stuff russelscout!  You'll have a blast.  

I'm 50+ and live, eat and breathe wrestling like many here.  I've always taken Thursday and Friday off and watch everything that's available.  Thankfully the coverage has been getting better and more every tourney for some years now.  It's so hard to stay focused when there are eight or so mats running.  I have two computers and the TV going.  

I do the same for the Soccer World Cup.  I take off the whole first week.  

4 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Good stuff russelscout!  You'll have a blast.  

I'm 50+ and live, eat and breathe wrestling like many here.  I've always taken Thursday and Friday off and watch everything that's available.  Thankfully the coverage has been getting better and more every tourney for some years now.  It's so hard to stay focused when there are eight or so mats running.  I have two computers and the TV going.  

I do the same for the Soccer World Cup.  I take off the whole first week.  

Have you been there? I gotta say, I can't complain too much. I rig up my computer with an extra monitor and TV so I have not missed a single match in years.

Glad to hear some first timers are making the trip this year! Hopefully my great state of MN shows you a good time.

This year will be my 8th and it is always a great time!

Some tips I would suggest for first timers

-most schools host a social at some point throughout the weekend. Find out when your favorite team’s is and attend.

-don’t expect to show up at the time a session starts and walk through the doors. For whatever reason the last two years have been slow at the entries.

-the semi finals/Blount round session are amazing be sure to be in your seat for that!

-it’s a marathon, not a sprint for the drinkers out there. Don’t let a fun Wednesday night ruin the rest of your weekend.

-check out fan fest. Usually some autograph sessions with famous wrestlers if that’s ur thing. Can purchase clothing and other wrestling murchandise. USA wrestling usually has a workout where u can watch all ur favorite stars.

That’s all I can think of for now. Maybe others have other tips. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the football stadium isn't the thing that will keep new comers from attending in the future. I have BIG reservations about this type of venue. Even with those reservations I am going to give it a chance. But if my reservations prove true.......... I certainly won't attend if/when the NCAA's go strictly to these type of venues.

$$$$ is king and the fans be damned. I MAY end up watching on TV from my hotel.......... I hope that isn't the case.

I have gone for many years and it's the funnest thing I do every year....... and I do MANY fun things. Such as , I already have my OLY Trials tickets.

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

This may surprise some of you, but I have never been to the big dance. I have followed it through themat, espn3, and flo thoroughly, but a I have never seen it in real life. I missed the years when one of my best buddies AA'd in Omaha. I wasn't able to make it when it was in Des Moines when a kid I coached was wrestling. This has been something that I have always talked about and always planned on going to, but work, coaching and married life has taken priority. This year I am finally going. I got a couple of college friends together and hopefully we can now make it an annual thing since we are all a decade removed from college and are starting to have some expendable income. Anyways, I just wanted to share that because it can't come fast enough for me. Obviously I want to see the Hawks win it, but win , lose, or draw I will be ecstatic just to finally be there. That is all. 

Your gonna love it this years venue will be different due to the size .I have been  the last 21 years and can't wait until March.

23 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

I'm skipping way to cold in Minnesota to make that trip. But on a side note planning to do the EIWA championships and a side trip to Atlantic City after.

If the tournament was held in January, maybe. Minneapolis has been warmer than St. Louis, Cleveland and Pittsburgh each of the last three years during the same dates. It'll be chilly, but it won't be sub-zero (should have checked the Farmer's Almanac before posting this).

Missed last year due to small venue, we didn't get tickets as expected.  I need to find a warm jacket.  I moved to near Phoenix from Ohio a few yrs ago.  Although. Cleveland wasn't too bad, since the train was basically at the venue.

I went to my first finals 2 years ago in Cleveland and went again last year in Pittsburgh. Unbelievable energy in the building. Unfortunately, I’m just not feeling it for this years event. I hope I’m wrong, but it seems like the distance from seat to mat will be to great. 

Enjoy!  It's the greatest 3 days of almost every year!  I think I went 4 years in a row before I even got up to take a leak.  It's delightful to be tuned into an awesome match and hear a loud roar and look across the gym, but beware, you're gonna miss a lot of good stuff, haha.   Get brackets!  I like to use the little cheap radio sets they sell to hear the on mat announcers.   You pick up a lot of little tid  bits that way.  I've been 20 times spread out over 50 years.  

On 12/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, AKHUNTER said:

I hope the football stadium isn't the thing that will keep new comers from attending in the future. I have BIG reservations about this type of venue. Even with those reservations I am going to give it a chance. But if my reservations prove true.......... I certainly won't attend if/when the NCAA's go strictly to these type of venues.

$$$$ is king and the fans be damned. I MAY end up watching on TV from my hotel.......... I hope that isn't the case.

I have gone for many years and it's the funnest thing I do every year....... and I do MANY fun things. Such as , I already have my OLY Trials tickets.

I bought a nice set of tickets for this year's championship.  However, I've decided to skip due to manner in which they plan to configure the football stadium.  From everything I've read, I would need binoculars to watch - even from my 2nd row, 50-yard line seat.  Anyone need tickets?

Edited by lu_alum

15 hours ago, russelscout said:

Congrats! Have fun! I'd like to go this year, but work.

16 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I was going to go to my first this year, but my wife is giving birth here soon, so I canceled it for this year. Next year I'll be in attendance, though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Vak - Congratulations to you and your wife Suzy Attack, nee Shagwell. 

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Slapahawk

And raise that child up right.  We don't want him/her making the same mistakes as his 'ole man. 

I suggest you start by properly attiring the newborn with the best baby clothes available:

//fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_809000/ff_809602_xl.jpg&w=325

(Note to Forum Readers:  Unfortunately, just like he did with Cletus/Suzy, at al., Vak will probably disregard this good advice.)