Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

i really enjoyed the Rutgers era

I agree with those who feel something needs to change, but at least they have a healthy program at this point. You have to give Goodale some credit for that.

He should remain with the program in some form, but they need a big name guy who can coach. These guys just haven't improved at all under SG.

I've commented on this topic before, much to my detriment.

I don't believe the problem is the lack of big "name". The "name" brings in recruits, but Goodale's recruiting at the Big R is not the issue. The issue is the guys don't seem to be improving from their arrival on campus, or peaking at the end of the season. They need to bring someone in who can address these areas, regardless how big their "name" is.

And, I still support Goodale staying at Rutgers.

I completely agree with the Voice. Recruiting and "name brand" are the least of Rutgers' worries. In fact, their recruiting is stellar, and Goodale deserves a ton of credit on that front.

What Rutgers needs is a significant upgrade in actual wrestling coaching, from technique to match strategy to proper practice to how to peak properly. Easier said than done, but if Goodale's organizational skills were combined with someone else's solid wrestling coaching skills, Rutgers would have a bright future. They are fully funded in a great location for wrestling and have the resources and schedule strength to create AAs and national champs.

I completely agree with the Voice. Recruiting and "name brand" is the least of Rutgers' worries. In fact, their recruiting is stellar, and Goodale deserves a ton of credit on that front.

What Rutgers needs is a significant upgrade in actual wrestling coaching, from technique to match strategy to proper practice to how to peak properly. Easier said than done, but if Goodale's organizational skills were combined with someone else's solid wrestling coaching skills, Rutgers would have a bright future. They are fully funded in a great location for wrestling and have the resources and schedule strength to create AAs and national champs.

Agree 100%.

I love throwing his name around, so I'll do it some more: Mark Perry. The dude is a proven commodity. Throw in Cooperman and maybe pull Mocco from his budding MMA career and it could make for quite a nice team.

I agree it is probably time for a change. I also agree with some of the above posters though: it would be beneficial for Goodale to stay in some capacity as he has set the plate for a good coach to succeed, and does a lot of good things for the program. Dual meets are well attended, recruiting is always good, and the athletes stay out of trouble while doing well in the classroom. When things turn around, he should be there to enjoy it. However, at this point it is clear the coach that will succeed is not him, because the actual wrestling part of the equation is not there. He seems like a great guy, and fans and wrestlers like him, but we also want to see Rutgers place somewhere in the top 25 in March.

I know there are some adamant apologists who attack anyone who suggests it is time for a change, but nothing is improving. THis seems to be as good as it gets, and with the talent in the room and in the state, "this" is not good enough. The enthusiasm sorrounding the program will start to fade it nothing changes, and eventually attendance and recruiting will suffer while decent wrestlers will leave the program....

As for AAs, I really thought Rinaldi had a chance right up untill his last match. Crazy how even 1 AA would have changed the whole outlook, but they just couldn't find one (or rather make one), in the room.

I love throwing his name around, so I'll do it some more: Mark Perry. The dude is a proven commodity. Throw in Cooperman and maybe pull Mocco from his budding MMA career and it could make for quite a nice team.

Too great a flight risk.

Dude couldn't get bail money if he owned the Taj Mahal.

Looking over the brackets, I just realized that Scott Winston was eliminated in the consolations. So he won't AA in his career.

That's very sad.

And inexplicable.

How do you take one of the premier recruits coming out of HS, and the kid never AA's?

Without any information, I'm so tempted to blame his coaches, except that I'm sure they wanted it as bad as he did.

No Rutgers wrestlers were seeded in the top eight, right? Thus, it would be expected they not have any All-Americans just on seeding alone.

Yes, but that isn't the point. The issue is why guys like Winston, Melde, Mason, Visicario (all big studs coming out of HS) aren't developing after several years in the room.

Recruit, retain, develop...

Yes, yes, no.

I would argue that he hasn't done the second all that well either. I'm saying, those are the three things that need to be done, in a nutshell, to win (or even come close to) a national championship...if you can't do all of those things, nobody's making it onto the podium, and certainly not in the mass needed for a national title or team trophy...

By retain, you mean keep kids in the program? He hasn't lost many transfers, correct? He's done a nice job recruiting, and keeping kids on campus/eligible. He just hasn't made ANY of them, any better. Period.

Langel and Della Fave were also fairly highly regarded kids coming in.

Winston/Melde/Mason through the program, and not one AA season from the group? I would have bet any amount you wanted 5 years ago that that would not happen.

By retain, you mean keep kids in the program? He hasn't lost many transfers, correct? He's done a nice job recruiting, and keeping kids on campus/eligible. He just hasn't made ANY of them, any better. Period.

Winston/Melde/Mason through the program, and not one AA season from the group? I would have bet any amount you wanted 5 years ago that that would not happen.

He's had a fair amount of guys retire due to H-E-W Disease though...

He's had a fair amount of guys retire due to H-E-W Disease though...

While I agree with you on this statement, I think when a kid has H-E-W I can't blame the coach on the kid's decsision to "retire"

Other than Mason, who else walked away that would have impacted the program? They had a kid in Winston's recruiting class, Menditto, who was very good, but he walked early his first year.

Don't know for sure if it was exactly "hew" but Wagner and Beverly left. 197 and 149 were wide open for them this season with Wagner having already started at 197 and coming off a decent redshirt season, and Beverly a nationally ranked recruit out of high school who also would have been coming off a decent red shirt season. Steven ROdrigues left without ever stepping on the mat after enrolling. Those are the only ones I can think of that were lost recently, but I am sure there were a few others.