Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

i really enjoyed the Rutgers era

Rider has had a few AAs over the past 5 years or so. D. Umbehauer and D. Fisch were both AAs.

They have two state champs coming in this year, Wayne Stinson and BJ Clagon. Stinson was a bit of a surprise winning the state title (though he had a win over the #1 kid in the country at his weight earlier in the year), and Clagon is very good. He's top 2-3 in his weight in the country.

Rider has been stagnant and underproducing for quite some time now. I believe their coach, John Hangey is an excellent coach with the upperweights(helped Umbehauer a few years back to a high AA, 3rd or 4th?). Not quite sure what the issue there is except , imo, they don't recruit well. They have close to the maximum 9.9 and if I look at their team, I can't figure who they could be tying their money up with?

Their head coach, Gary Taylor, is a great guy but I think it is time for him to step down and allow Hangey to bring in some young coaches. The money that Rider is paying Taylor would be much better spent on some top assistants. I do see some potential with Clagon and Stinson coming in and some decent young guys. For some reason, they can't seem to fill that 125 spot.

Regarding Goodale, I can't disagree that he should go based on his teams performances, but I think the blame is primarily because of Winston. Mason was a transfer and JRob obviously was not able to get the performance he wanted out of him. What makes anyone think that Mason is all Goodale's fault? Winston was a top high school guy but I am still not sure anyone else would've gotten much more out of him. Take those two out and the rest of their recruits were just very good high school wrestlers, not absolute studs. Dellafave, Langel, visicaro, Rinaldi, etc. would be projects to AA no matter where they went.

Would Goodale be blamed for Lawson, Walsh, and Campollatono if they went to Rutgers and did not AA? More than likely, yes, yet Ryan is not blamed for Camp or Courts poor performances. Bottom line is, achieving All American status is extremely difficult and so far, Rutgers has not been able to get their kids to that level. I believe it is a combination of things: NJ Fans over rating their talent that go to Rutgers, Goodale's assistant coaches(before Molinaro), and possible a learning curve for Goodale coming straight in from a high school program.

I've commented on this topic before, much to my detriment.

I don't believe the problem is the lack of big "name". The "name" brings in recruits, but Goodale's recruiting at the Big R is not the issue. The issue is the guys don't seem to be improving from their arrival on campus, or peaking at the end of the season. They need to bring someone in who can address these areas, regardless how big their "name" is.

And, I still support Goodale staying at Rutgers.

Yeah, support Goodale staying at Rutgers, just not at head coach, come on he had the #2 / #1 recruiting class 1 year and not 1 AA from that group.

The guy is great at building programs , he is terrible at building wrestlers. I mean Winston regressed. Mind you he and Welch were even as true freshman.

Dan, I think your impression of Rutgers academically is a little misguided. There's a NJ state champ that won't be going to RU, from what I understand, due almost strictly to academics. He'll be wrestling D1, but not for RU.

I like the idea of Hahn, he'd be a great fit. Maybe co head coach?

As a good introduction to the Big 10 I think Indiana should send over Goldman and Michigan St. send Minkel to work as Rutger's co-head coaches. Maybe they can trade them for a few freshman, manager, and a assistant trainer.

Rider has been stagnant and underproducing for quite some time now. I believe their coach, John Hangey is an excellent coach with the uotheupper weight(helped Umbehauer a few years back to a high AA, 3rd or 4th?). Not quite sure what the issue there is except , imo, they don't recruit well. They have close to the maximum 9.9 and if I look at their team, I can't figure who they could be tying their money up with?

Their head coach, Gary Taylor, is a great guy but I think it is time for him to step down and allow Hangey to bring in some young coaches. The money that Rider is paying Taylor would be much better spent on some top assistants. I do see some potential with Clagon and Stinson coming in and some decent young guys. For some reason, they can't seem to fill that 125 spot.

Regarding Goodale, I can't disagree that he should go based on his teams performances, but I think the blame is primarily because of Winston. Mason was a transfer and JRob obviously was not able to get the performance he wanted out of him. What makes anyone think that Mason is all Goodale's fault? Winston was a top high school guy but I am still not sure anyone else would've gotten much more out of him. Take those two out and the rest of their recruits were just very good high school wrestlers, not absolute studs. Dellafave, Langel, visicaro, Rinaldi, etc. would be projects to AA no matter where they went.

Would Goodale be blamed for Lawson, Walsh, and Campollatono if they went to Rutgers and did not AA? More than likely, yes, yet Ryan is not blamed for Camp or Courts poor performances. Bottom line is, achieving All American status is extremely difficult and so far, Rutgers has not been able to get their kids to that level. I believe it is a combination of things: NJ Fans over rating their talent that go to Rutgers, Goodale's assistant coaches(before Molinaro), and possible a learning curve for Goodale coming straight in from a high school program.

Maybe Mason wanted to come home? He beat Molinaro at Rutgers remember. He was good and faded away

This was lawsons first year after time off. Walsh is a sophomore who beat the 3 seed before running into a wood chipper (green) . Camp is a true sophomore. Although he hasnt improved since last year, he wasnt planning on wrestling in college until late in his senior year.

The schools you named had Dubuque, Molinaro and Umbehauer as developed talent. Not like Rutgers is being singled out over one recruit

Rider has been stagnant and underproducing for quite some time now. I believe their coach, John Hangey is an excellent coach with the upperweights(helped Umbehauer a few years back to a high AA, 3rd or 4th?). Not quite sure what the issue there is except , imo, they don't recruit well. They have close to the maximum 9.9 and if I look at their team, I can't figure who they could be tying their money up with?

Would Goodale be blamed for Lawson, Walsh, and Campollatono if they went to Rutgers and did not AA? More than likely, yes, yet Ryan is not blamed for Camp or Courts poor performances. Bottom line is, achieving All American status is extremely difficult and so far, Rutgers has not been able to get their kids to that level. I believe it is a combination of things: NJ Fans over rating their talent that go to Rutgers, Goodale's assistant coaches(before Manado), and possible a learning curve for Goodale coming straight in from a high school program.

Pennsyrules - I think your position on Rutgers is fair.

Excellent Post Pennsyrules. I do think RU needs to something {not sure what} before going to the Big 10 or it is going to be UGLY {IMO it didn't help going to a easier schedule this yr either, records look good But it doesn't get U ready for March Wrestling. {Two yrs from not there will be no choice} From what I understand from Good Sources there is No Chance for D. Hahn to come Back to Coach in NJ {it isn't going to happen} Rider has some Very Good Kids coming in this yr, keep an eye on Werts, could be the 125 there looking for {if he can make the wt}

Pennsy.... good points on both Rider/Rutgers.

Goodale just signed an extension last year, and wrestling programs aren't flush enough to consider buying out contracts. My .02 is that he needs to focus on what's missing in his full year training strategy. Are the kids buying in to the degree that is necesary to excel on the elite level....are they living the life 24/7? I don't pretend to know, but a lack of development would lead me to question the wrestlers mindset as much as the coaches....no? Molinaro was a tuff hombre in both his training regiment and his wrestling style.....he should benefit the younger guys who haven't developed bad habits.

BTW.... if Eric G. is content @ Okie St, then any underperforming program (and there's plenty) should have Brian Snyder on there short list. I'm high on his future as a program developer.

this stuff just writes itself

another March, another flop

Rutgers does not get the Best of NJ wrestlers. Hopefully Ashnault can change the culture, and attract big recruits.

2003-2013 (Did this quick, the numbers may be a little off)

NJ 56 AA

16 NCAA Champs

Schools include: Minnesota, Hofstra, Iowa, Penn, Indiana, Mich., Lehigh, Okla. St., ISU, Cornell, Rider, Nebraska, NC State, PSU, Wisc. Virginia, Columbia.

The better wrestlers go out of state to power house programs and become a part of a a defined program.

I love throwing his name around, so I'll do it some more: Mark Perry. The dude is a proven commodity. Throw in Cooperman and maybe pull Mocco from his budding MMA career and it could make for quite a nice team.

Plus Rutgers would have a great shot at getting Perry. He's shown he has absolutely no loyalty to anyone or anything so far at every step in his wrestling/coaching career. There is no doubting his talent.

On the other hand the first program that is higher profile than Rugters offers him the Head Coach job and he'll be out of town before you can say "Benedict Arnold".

There's no question that his "loyalty" has been an issue. (I wonder what his dream job would be) However, with Rutgers set to join the Big 10 in less than two seasons, he's proven that he can develop talent everywhere he's gone. Team that with having a national reach (Californians are going to LOVE him thanks to what he and Hunter did for Delgado; he's done wonders for Conrad Polz in Illinois; some Pennsylvania kids might even like what he did in his two seasons at Penn State), as well as his connections to Blair and the talent they produce, even if he stays for three to four seasons, the Scarlet Knights are a far better team with him running the show than what they have now.