Nicky_Pipes

Qualifying The Remaining Olympic Weights - A Few Questions

I’m hoping to get some clarification on how the USA determines their representatives for qualifying the remaining Olympic weights. 

What I know:

74kg & 97kg are qualified for the USA

Top 2 at Pan-Ams and  the Champion at Last Chance Qualifier are the ways to qualify the weights for the Olympics 

What I don’t know:

Has the Pan-Am team been selected yet, is it going to be the 2019 world team members?

Has a date/location been set for Last Chance qualifier? Hopefully it is after WTT so our true rep can attempt to qualify the spot.

How will USA determine who to send to last chance qualifier if we can’t get the job done at continentals, and WTT still haven’t taken place?

Quick Glance at Qualifying via Pan-Ams:

57kg: Pan-Ams are taking place March 6-9th so you would have to assume Spencer Lee is out of the equation.  Is Fix the guy until further notice or would we send Gilman instead? I think both can make a push to the finals and qualify the spot. It will be interesting with a tough Cuban in Ortega, and Seabass representing Puerto-Rico here.

65kg: I assume Zain is the guy right now for good reason, he is the returning representative with a decent amount of international experience… but man oh man JO is looking better than ever. Bonne Rodriquez will most likely be up at this weight from 61kg, is there any other sleepers that can keep the US from not qualifying this weight? I have heard rumors about Pico trying to qualify the spot for Mexico, anyone have more detail here?

86kg: Downey is the returning representative but I think most would agree that DT is the more comfortable pick to Qualify the spot. Mendez from Columbia wrestled for a medal at worlds last year, the cards were laid out perfect for him to make a run to the Semis. Can Downey make a push to the finals? It seems to me that he is more engaged and focused on wrestling than ever. If not, then I think we have to send DT to Last Chance.

125kg: Gwiz should be able to get the job done here, he has convincing wins over the Canadian and Cuban. Last chance is going to be much more difficult for our rep if Gwiz can't get it done here. 

5 hours ago, Crash said:

Reminder that the Pan Am qualifier event is different from the Pan Ams themselves.

Why is that, BTW?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Pan Am qualifier is the same as the European qualifier or the Asian or African or what have you. It also just happens to be that we have an Olympic style games called the Pan-American games which are every four years and are the year before the Olympics. That's where the confusion comes in. 

Top 2 qualify at last chance World qualifier first weekend of May in Sofia Bulgaria
Glad this tourney is not conflicting with our OTTs. Original reports had it the same weekend which would have created problems.

4 hours ago, Crash said:

Glad this tourney is not conflicting with our OTTs. Original reports had it the same weekend which would have created problems.

Agree should workout well now

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Would certainly be an interesting storyline if Rivera somehow prevented the US from qualifying 57 at Pan Ams.

He's skipping PanAms and going to World qualifier in Bulgaria.Its the weekend between Big 10 and NCAA so he's not going

Edited by calot

The only chance Bonne has at making the team, barring injury, is if he drops to 57. Not a farm's chance in a $HlT storm at nabbing the starting spot at 65 keggers. Valdes is much better at this point in their respective careers.