Sign in to follow this  
airmail

Monday/Fadzaev '89 World Championships

What a great match.  That front headlock at the beginning... son of a...  To the naked eye doesn't look bad, but looks like Monday was borderline ready to pass out, like he started to tap out right before the go behind. Between this guy and Schultz, Monday definitely tangled with, and beat, a couple badass mofo's.  

It was an amazing match and I never quite heard why Fadzaev went up. It reminded me of Snyder - Sadulaev match I. Fadzaev clearly gassed at the end and lost it. Monday is amazing but Fadzaev is one of the three or four best ever. I would have taken Fadzaev in a rematch had he committed to the bigger weight but alas he went back down and won a zillion more world titles. 

Not to take anything away from Kenny, but I'm glad it was mentioned Kenny went up a wt......just as Belaglozov went up a wt. to wrestling John Smith at the 1989 Grand World Wrestling Championship ($10,000 match).  Fadz

Russia wanted someone to take Monday out (similar to the Russians having Asheraliev (sp) drop in 72 to take Gable out). At the 89 Worlds, weigh-ins occurred the day before; Monday weighed at least 180 when he stepped on the mat. On both days of weigh-ins, Fadzaev waited until everyone weighed in, then he stepped on the scales weighing in at 158 both days. This match shows the reason why we have weight classes. Kenny stopped Arsen's patented cutback position with power for the 2 pt exposure, revealing the enormous weight/strength advantage that Kenny had.