TBar1977

Midlands Day 1 Thread

19 minutes ago, rcoates1 said:

Gavin with a very underwhelming performance there. 3-1 win in OT

Gavin isn't the answer.  I doubt he would make the lineup at half of the programs at this point.  Coming out of high school it was him and Spencer.  Now, he looks like a washed up version of what he could be.  It's sad really.  But, he's an adult and should be able to take the criticism.

11 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Gavin isn't the answer.  I doubt he would make the lineup at half of the programs at this point.  Coming out of high school it was him and Spencer.  Now, he looks like a washed up version of what he could be.  It's sad really.  But, he's an adult and should be able to take the criticism.

Agreed.  I was hoping he’d live up to the hype he had in high school.  It’s certainly not looking real promising right now.  Fortunately he has four years.

He was never on Lee's level.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Gavin took a few shots in that match with Rooks, but they were straight on and from a pretty far distance and Crooks was able to sprawl quite easily. I thought Crooks was going to extend him and come around near the end of period 2 but time ran out. As others have said, he's pretty far away from being a starter at Iowa. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Gavin took a few shots in that match with Rooks, but they were straight on and from a pretty far distance and Crooks was able to sprawl quite easily. I thought Crooks was going to extend him and come around near the end of period 2 but time ran out. As others have said, he's pretty far away from being a starter at Iowa. 

Yeah Gavin looked pretty bad. He does look much stronger though. 

I don’t really get it. He used to use really slick set ups. It’s not like he just bullied people in high school. He was a technician. I hope he figures it out

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I don’t really get it. He used to use really slick set ups. It’s not like he just bullied people in high school. He was a technician. I hope he figures it out

Honestly, it looks more mental than anything. Like you said, in 10th grade he had some good set ups. 

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

He does look a lot stronger.  This match with Hayes should be very telling where he is at in his  development.  I suspect he has a lot of trouble finishing shots.

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Honestly, it looks more mental than anything. Like you said, in 10th grade he had some good set ups. 

He peaked it was noticable his senior year that the feild was catching up. I also spot this with Adam Busiello but maybe I'll be wrong.

5 minutes ago, rcoates1 said:

He does look a lot stronger.  This match with Hayes should be very telling where he is at in his  development.  I suspect he has a lot of trouble finishing shots.

I think he looks stronger at 133 than as a sucked down 125. But he didn't really do anything vs Hayes in losing 3-1. 

2 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

He peaked it was noticable his senior year that the feild was catching up. I also spot this with Adam Busiello but maybe I'll be wrong.

I hate saying this, but every Flo match I saw the past few years with Busiello, the yelling at him from his own corner sounded brutal. Not going to say any more than that. It just sounded way over the top. 

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Gabriel Tagg is currently down 10-9 in the second.  Has gotten 3-4 takedowns and every time went for a crab ride and gotten reversed, including once to his back...

Un seeded wrestler Gil from F&M ends up beating him 15-10. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

Almost won without scoring a td.  It was 4 reversals, 4 NF, and riding time.  Towards the end he got a counter TD off a Tagg offensive attempt

9 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yeah. I was never super high on Gabe Tagg, but he has impressed me over the last 9 months or so.   

he is very good on his feet. The mat stuff will come. He didn’t learn from his mistakes and was way too aggressive from top. 

I’m not concerned. If he was getting taken down and not hitting his own, I’d be way more worried. 

he also has guys like O’Connor to work with daily for mat wrestling, plus other solid training partners like Sherman