BigTenFanboy

4x PA State Champs in College

The last 4x PA state champ to win an NCAA title was Jeremy Hunter (PSU 2000).

Since Hunter there have been 4 4x'ers in Jimmy Gulibon (PSU), Chance Marsteller (OSU/LHU), Haines (tOSU/LHU), and Teasdale (PSU/IOWA). Also lets not forget Ryan Diehl (2x WV and 2x PA State Champ for Maryland)

Of those 5, Gulibon goes on to be a 1x AA (5th), Chance a 2x AA (4,3).

With the credentials these guys had coming out of high school i think its fair to say much more was expected of these guys. What happened? Has being 4x PA State champ become a curse when it comes to NCAA wrestling? 

Im beginning to think Nolf losing to Diehl his sophomore year and Lee losing to Desanto was a blessing in disguise...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Most 4-timers win their early titles in the lightest weight classes, where wrestling mostly freshmen and sophomores. This is basically the same thing as winning one title as a senior, so I'm not sure it makes sense to apply higher expectations in those cases.

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Most 4-timers win their early titles in the lightest weight classes, where wrestling mostly freshmen and sophomores. This is basically the same thing as winning one title as a senior, so I'm not sure it makes sense to apply higher expectations in those cases.

I understand the jist in this point.  But the truth is actually the opposite here.  Chance and Haines were not in the lower weights early in their career.  And the guys that have seen success as 4 timers, were lightweights (103/112 for almost all of them).

14 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I understand the jist in this point.  But the truth is actually the opposite here.  Chance and Haines were not in the lower weights early in their career.  And the guys that have seen success as 4 timers, were lightweights (103/112 for almost all of them).

Marstellar and Haines were physically more developed as freshman than most h.s. seniors. This helped them win early in their careers. I thought both would be better in college than they were.

6 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Has being 4x PA State champ become a curse when it comes to NCAA wrestling? 

Yes, but there are a number of rituals and spells that have been successfully used to remove curses.  Any future 4-timers who are concerned that they may be jinxed should consult a Gypsy woman immediately. 

13 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Yes, but there are a number of rituals and spells that have been successfully used to remove curses.  Any future 4-timers who are concerned that they may be jinxed should consult a Gypsy woman immediately. 

I heard this woman is making a fortune in consulting.

I may not be as critical as some but a 3,4th place finish even from a 4timer from a top state is not too shabby.  Not AA'ing though is tough to take as a Pa fan but we have plenty of 1-2 timers(and sometimes place finishers ) who make up for the others.  Weircioch was a 3 timer and 4 time finalist who was a big disapointment.  I do think the HEW could come into play.

Edited by pennsyrules

Maybe it is better to be a 4x from Ohio?  Here are the last 10 4 timers from Ohio  I wonder what NJ looks like?

Dustin Schlatter
Lance Palmer

Tony Jameson

Collin Palmer

David Taylor

Logan Stieber

Chris Phillips

Hunter Stieber

Cam Tessari

Dean Heil
Bo Jordan
Nathan Tomasello

1 minute ago, Scorenomore said:

Maybe it is better to be a 4x from Ohio?  Here are the last 10 4 timers from Ohio  I wonder what NJ looks like?

Dustin Schlatter
Lance Palmer

Tony Jameson

Collin Palmer

David Taylor

Logan Stieber

Chris Phillips

Hunter Stieber

Cam Tessari

Dean Heil
Bo Jordan
Nathan Tomasello

Do you mean last 12?

Dustin Schlatter
Lance Palmer
Tony Jameson
Collin Palmer
David Taylor
Logan Stieber
Chris Phillips
Hunter Stieber
Cam Tessari
Dean Heil
Bo Jordan
Nathan Tomasello

Out of the four 4x champs in New Jersey history two won titles last year in Suriano and Ashnault and Mike Grey and Andrew Campolattano are the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** Not to forget Ty Moore (RIP), (4X PA Champ), who was almost unbeatable in high school, but never AA'd in college.  

The original post was Since Jeremy Hunter won the 2000 NCAA - Ty Moore was before this - But he obviously would be on the list with a few others.  Great talent for sure. 

Edited by Idaho

1 hour ago, pennsyrules said:

I may not be as critical as some but a 3,4th place finish even from a 4timer from a top state is not too shabby.  Not AA'ing though is tough to take as a Pa fan but we have plenty of 1-2 timers(and sometimes place finishers ) who make up for the others.  Weircioch was a 3 timer and 4 time finalist who was a big disapointment.  I do think the HEW could come into play.

Weircioch wrestled at or near Marstellar's weight, although I can't recall if he was in the other school size classification i.e. AA vs. AAA. They even wrestled each other in a very close match Chance's senior year I think. I wonder if their success was also aided by their weight classes just totally clearing out in those years as guys went up or down to avoid them. This would make winning state titles a lot easier. 

Edited by TBar1977

There are so many factors going into the success of kids at the college level - PA or any other state.

Kids get burned out - being a 4xer has taken years of dedication and training to reach that level- most of them have been wrestling year around for 14 years at that point.  Maybe in their mental place they have reached the pinnacle at the 4th title. Maybe college, although offered to them and expected of them, is not the next mountain to climb. Whereas, some kids who win 1 title or maybe do not win a title - stay hungry to get more out of the next level. I realize this is just one sliver of reasoning. There are probably numerous sports psychology books written about high school success vs college success. 

4 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I wanted to post this in the PA weight classes thread on the HS board, but I think it's relevant here.

https://papreplive.com/2019/12/27/piaa-seeks-to-reconfigure-wrestling-weight-classes-for-2020-21/

I think the most interesting quote was this: 

"He noted how five out of 10 wrestlers who were 2019 NCAA D1 Wrestling National champions, and more than one-third of the wrestlers placing in the top three at the 2019 NCAA D1 Wrestling National Championships, competed at 106 for at least one year in high school. "

In addition to a lot of guys at the lower weights, I think Zahid and Vincenzo (who of course wasn't one of the 5) were famously 106 pound freshmen. 

Edited by 1032004

Also in terms of the OP, how many of the PA 4-timers had some or all of their titles in AA?  I know AA in PA is better than most other states, but AAA is still considered to be tougher right?  Is a 3x AAA champ considered comparable to a 4x AA champ?

Edited by 1032004

The first 3 were before classifiation.

Moore, hunter, Chase, Haines were AAA

Gerhard, Hughes, Kolat, Teasdale AA

Crawford school, milton, was AA then AAA his last 3 years

I do not rember the others right now

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Also in terms of the OP, how many of the PA 4-timers had some or all of their titles in AA?  I know AA in PA is better than most other states, but AAA is still considered to be tougher right?  Is a 3x AAA champ considered comparable to a 4x AA champ?

I think it all depends on the wrestler and the competition in their weight class and school classification. Sometimes AA has two very good wrestlers while AAA may have just 1. A bunch of Powerade champs were smaller school kids. 

although he wasn't allowed to compete his Sr. year in HS due to disciplinary reasons, Garrett Scott was a shoe in for his 4th AA state title as well.

I've said this many times, many PA all timers peak in HS. Youth wrestling in PA is BRUTAL.