SamStall365247

Spencer Lee No Show

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

The annoying thing about this situation is you don't know what to hope for. Death in the family? For the purposes of wrestling that works a lot better than "Injured" or "Is being radically coddled by his coaches"....

I agree that more transparency would be nice for passionate fans; wrestling is worse than even hockey on this score (they can get away with it because the press coverage of the sport if much less numerous and aggressive).

But in this case I think we can figure it out with reasonable certainty.  I'm pretty confident that he is physically able to wrestle today but instead is exercising a form of load management.  He's a wrestler who had a very serious knee injury (exacerbated by his refusal to duck DeSanto even though he had zero to prove in high school) which kept him out of competition for the first half of his freshman year and which still causes him to wear an assortment of knee braces, including at times a giant one; and then had what was probably some kind of illness, maybe an injury, which dampened his sophomore year. 

Throw on top of that that he wrestled an extremely competitive two day tournament full of national champions last weekend and that he will have a five week stretch in March/April with three enormously competitive multiday tournaments, it's not surprising that he wouldn't wrestle this weekend.  I didn't expect him to show up at all, but the 17 match threshold would be an explanation that makes sense for getting three relatively easy matches in and then stopping before things got tougher.

How each of us takes that is a matter of opinion.  I'm frustrated because I wanted to see him tonight, and doubly disappointed because this happened to me at the Northwestern dual last year, but I get why he and TnT are doing this and don't begrudge it.  If others are less charitable, that's their right, and not unreasonable, since I think we can probably agree that he has not wrestled a lot of matches in college that he was physically able to wrestle.  

I wouldn't have a problem with him not showing up for this tourney, but showing up weighing in wrestling and quitting implies HEAVILY that this is a ducking decision not a Olympics decision. 

I hate saying "duck" because people throw it around here too often, but if they were trying to keep his pitch count down they would have left him home. 

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

I wouldn't have a problem with him not showing up for this tourney, but showing up weighing in wrestling and quitting implies HEAVILY that this is a ducking decision not a Olympics decision. 

I hate saying "duck" because people throw it around here too often, but if they were trying to keep his pitch count down they would have left him home. 

Apparently he needs to have 17 matches to be seeded, so it makes some sense, I guess, but man, I hate it.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Apparently he needs to have 17 matches to be seeded, so it makes some sense, I guess, but man, I hate it.

All 33 are seeded starting this year. Not sure how Spencer Lee dropping out could im-pact his seeding given all 33 get seeded now. 

34 minutes ago, simple said:

Blahblahblah

Spencer got absolutely nothing out of the matches yesterday.  He got matches he needed to qualify seeding in the post season.  My guess was that was the only reason to wrestle this weekend at all.  But just a guess, I don't pretend to know what's in other people's heads

Who said it would be nice for Fix to wrestle a modified schedule?  When people say modified schedule, they don’t mean wrestling the 1st and 2nd rounds of a tournament and skipping the 3rd and 4th. They mean sit out the whole tournament or not travel to away duals.

Also Fix has been on infinitely more senior world teams than Lee.

Blahblahblah

Spencer got absolutely nothing out of the matches yesterday.  He got matches he needed to qualify seeding in the post season.  My guess was that was the only reason to wrestle this weekend at all.  But just a guess, I don't pretend to know what's in other people's heads

Who said it would be nice for Fix to wrestle a modified schedule?  You'd have to go back and read the numerous posts to that effect.  I didn't write down the names of those while I was reading.  When people say modified schedule, they don’t mean wrestling the 1st and 2nd rounds of a tournament and skipping the 3rd and 4th. They mean sit out the whole tournament or not travel to away duals. Again, I don't pretend to know what people are thinking, I only go by what they've said.

Also Fix has been on infinitely more senior world teams than Lee. If one equals infinite.......okay.  But what does that have to do with anything?  Doesn't change the fact of 2x champ vs. Ox champ. Nor does it change my opinion the shade is more to do with that than anything else.  Champs always get thrown more shade.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Blahblahblah

Spencer got absolutely nothing out of the matches yesterday.  He got matches he needed to qualify seeding in the post season.  My guess was that was the only reason to wrestle this weekend at all. 1 But just a guess, I don't pretend to know what's in other people's heads

Who said it would be nice for Fix to wrestle a modified schedule?  You'd have to go back and read the numerous posts to that effect.  I didn't write down the names of those while I was reading.  When people say modified schedule, they don’t mean wrestling the 1st and 2nd rounds of a tournament and skipping the 3rd and 4th. They mean sit out the whole tournament or not travel to away duals.  1 Again, I don't pretend to know what people are thinking, I only go by what they've said.

Also Fix has been on infinitely more senior world teams than Lee. If one equals infinite.......okay. 3 But what does that have to do with anything?  Doesn't change the fact of 2x champ vs. Ox champ. Nor does it change my opinion the shade is more to do with that than anything else.  4 Champs always get thrown more shade.

1. You do pretend to know what’s in people’s heads base on 2.

2. You made that claim. The burden of proof would be on you. 

3. You brought up Fix which had nothing to do with the topic in the first place.

4. That’s subjective and not true at all, really.

33 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

What a weird statement to make when it is so easily disprovable.

0 + 1 = 1

1 - 0 = 1

I see you don’t understand proofs. That doesn’t disprove anything.

Any number(including one) is infinitely more than zero.

One is also one more than zero. They don’t invalidate each other.

So getting back to why I asked the above question about Yianni D. I implied after Yianni wouldn't wrestle Nick Lee that the word that shall not be used came into play. It was stated in return that the reason he did it was to protect his seed at Olympic Trials, as if that even makes it OK, but I digress. But if he were to wrestle Oliver for first place in that event, that too would impact his Olympic Trials seed, would it not? A win over Oliver places him ahead of everyone except Zain. A loss to Oliver places him behind Jordan Oliver, no? 

So why not wrestle Nick Lee? 

32 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

How many this time bought tickets mainly to watch Spencer Lee only to be disappointed he won't wrestle? 

How many kids asked for Midlands tickets from their dad for Christmas so they could go see Spencer Lee wrestle?

Spencer is helping to kill the sport.

9 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Its not very respectful to the sport to show up, get your matches and just bail......

I don't see what all of the whining is about.  How is this different from, lets say, a coach sitting a star running back in the second half of a game where the win is virtually assured?  Star players in team sports just don't play every minute of every game.  Why should we hold wrestlers to a higher standard, especially when pre-NCAA tournament competition is essentially just pre-season?

Edited by red blades

3 minutes ago, red blades said:

I don't see what all of the whining is about.  How is this different from, lets say, a coach sitting a star running back in the second half of a game where the win is virtually assured?  Star players in team sports just don't play every minute of every game.  Why should we hold wrestlers to a higher standard, especially when pre-tournament competition is essentially just pre-season?

The logical extension of your thinking is that the sport as an abstraction doesn't matter. 

Edited by hammerlockthree