SamStall365247

Spencer Lee No Show

Iowa entered Spenser Lee into Midlands forgetting KMFs post about him (Lee) forgoing folk for the rest of the season.

I'm sure that last night after T&T logged-on to this site to see how they would find all the answers on how to coach their wrestlers, they re-read KMFs insider news and told Lee to just kick it at the hotel today and enjoy room service & some pay-per-view movies (or Crackle if they're staying at a Marriott brand hotel) and get things re-set for the OTT run.

Medical or not, welcome to the new state of D1 wrestling.  PSU has a condensed schedule to the point most of their starters didn't go to the D3 dominated Wilkes Open.

Even the Big 10 (I refuse to type their stupid logo) cannot even on their own, schedule the two best teams in the conference.  Tom and Cael have to call each other to set it up and that was even in question.

I vote that we wrestle just two weeks and go right into conference tournaments.

my 2 cents, not that it's worth anything

I think everyone can agree that if Spencer Lee did not show up, he would get a pass because of the Senior Nationals title he just won. Fair enough.

But when you enter a tournament, the expectation (at least from the fan's perspective) is that you are going to continue wrestling until you cant any longer. Lee entered, but didnt finish; it doesnt look good in the court of public opinion because the Semis was his first competition of the tournament against a ranked opponent.

Brands said in his Day One recap that basically Lee is there to help get the minimum number of matches, which i get, but again, doesnt look good to fans.

Chances are he's not injured, hes not scared/ducking anyone, MFF'd out so that there would be a competition in the finals of 125, and keeping himself fresh because hes on double duty (Freestyle and Folkstyle). He's a team leader and he's at the tournament with his team, as a leader does.

My issue is that he can still be at the tournament to be a leader and not participate. He can go to another local tournament (or closer tournament) with D1 competition to get the extra matches. 

If he wins out now, he will face Schroder, Hudkins (pending injury), and Piccininni and enter B1G with 16 matches. If he wins B1Gs, he'll have 19 or 20 matches.

If MFF counted as a loss, would he have entered Midlands? Would he have stayed this course?

I get why they did it, i just dont like it. I'll still be rooting for Lee come March, but he needs to lose at least one match to make him the #3 seed for the NCAA Tournament (see 2018 NCAA Tourney, 2019 NCAA Tournament, and 2019 Senior Nationals)

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

Medical or not, welcome to the new state of D1 wrestling.  PSU has a condensed schedule to the point most of their starters didn't go to the D3 dominated Wilkes Open.

Even the Big 10 (I refuse to type their stupid logo) cannot even on their own, schedule the two best teams in the conference.  Tom and Cael have to call each other to set it up and that was even in question.

I vote that we wrestle just two weeks and go right into conference tournaments.

I think it’s even the state of D2/D3 and HS, MFF’s are seemingly getting much more common everywhere.  And with the top 2 teams in D1 doing it, it’s only encouraging others to as well. 

Hopefully no one that was complaining about Midlands being weak has no issue with this.  It’s a tournament, not a warmup.   When the best guy in the tournament MFF’s out while healthy, it certainly doesn’t help the perception of the tournament as a whole.

21 minutes ago, Fighting_Blue_Jay said:

My issue is that he can still be at the tournament to be a leader and not participate. He can go to another local tournament (or closer tournament) with D1 competition to get the extra matches. 

its better than some of the 'captains' i have seen sitting on the bench at duals... lookin at their phones

A lot of people are referencing the similarities to Snyder and his limited schedule.  Lest we forget, Snyder:

1. Was already the world team member

2. Had already won a world championship

3. Was forgoing domestic competition for international competition ( ya know .. like Yarygin)

4.  At no time did Snyder duck out of a domestic tournament or dual.  He wrestled Nevills when tOSU needed the miracle and Coon in the dual (taking a loss) when he clearly didn't have to. 

Comparisons can be convenient... Except when hyperbole and embellishment are met with facts.

As the previous poster had stated, as a fan, it's disappointing.  We enjoy watching Spencer wrestle.  Period.  End of story.  When we don't hear the "why" for not wrestling, speculation and grumbling ensue. 

I guarantee that is it were Cashman that MFF'd out, there wouldn't be 5 pages of banter about this.

5 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

What if it was a 129 year old grandmother, very low quality of life, her death provided a blood transfusion that saved baby yoda....

I am put of reacts for the day, so you get a gracious quote.

Thank you for somehow making death a good thing.