SamStall365247

Spencer Lee No Show

Its weird that Lee isnt afraid to wrestle ncaa champions at the senior nationals, but is afraid of Glory enough to dodge him twice. They definitely need to work on that if he hopes to win ncaas. He was probably at midlands hoping glory would be upset early.

All kidding aside, we dont know if he woke up and his knee was bothering him. I can understand if they planned to only wrestle him day one anyway, for the matches, but i dont agree with it. Why not just enter an open and get your matches that way without having to mff out. 

7 hours ago, Molsen said:

Its weird that Lee isnt afraid to wrestle ncaa champions at the senior nationals, but is afraid of Glory enough to dodge him twice. They definitely need to work on that if he hopes to win ncaas. He was probably at midlands hoping glory would be upset early.

All kidding aside, we dont know if he woke up and his knee was bothering him. I can understand if they planned to only wrestle him day one anyway, for the matches, but i dont agree with it. Why not just enter an open and get your matches that way without having to mff out. 

What opens that consist largely of D1 opponents are left that are as close as Midlands are to Iowa City? And which opens would work for Spencer to travel with a coach and trainer with the remaining dual schedule that Iowa has slated?

This kid gets more criticism than anyone and it makes no sense.  He could have taken an Olympic Redshirt and focused on Freestyle.  He could be training with Vito in Europe or going to Rome with Fix or others with a focus on freestyle instead he's helping his team fight for a team title.  He just wrestled in the US Senior Nationals, which is open to anyone in the nation. Glory, Fix, Gilman or anybody could have entered.  Lee obviously needed the matches and the coaches pulled him for whatever reason.  One coach is an Olympic 'Gold Medalist and the other a World Champion.  Glory looked a little off all weekend.  He was about a second away from getting beat in OT and he won in the finals 4-0.  Lee looked really sharp again this weekend.  If he stays healthy he will be a tough match-up for anyone in Folkstyle or Freestyle.  I was disappointed to not get to see him on day two at Midlands, but I'm also thankful he didn't take an Olympic Redshirt.  It would be the safer route to only have to peak or get ready for two weekends versus 15 or so.   Oklahoma State misses Fix and Cornell misses their guys as well and Iowa would miss Lee, so good for him and it's good for College wrestling that he's trying to balance both.  There are certain posters that always take shots at Lee, but NEVER post anything positive and there has been many positive aspects to his career.  He's a great representative of the sport.  He's been humble in victory and also in defeat and he's won two NCAA titles in dominating fashion.  When he's been defeated the wrestlers have ran around the mat and made a spectacle of themselves in celebration and when he's returned the favor and defeated them, he's simply walked back to the middle, shook their hand and said good match.  Some of the posters on this forum could take lessons from him about character.  It's easy to hide behind screen names and take shots at these guys.  I get the fact that we all have our opinions, but to only point out the negative makes me think certain posters have axes to grind.  I also think there's no need for such negativity pointed directly at the wrestlers when all of the reasons on not known.  It's simply wrong.  I wish all of these boards forced everyone to use their real names, because there would be far less posting by some very brave souls that can hide behind screen names.  

Edited by mistydawn

18 hours ago, mistydawn said:

This kid gets more criticism than anyone and it makes no sense.  He could have taken an Olympic Redshirt and focused on Freestyle.  He could be training with Vito in Europe or going to Rome with Fix or others with a focus on freestyle instead he's helping his team fight for a team title.  He just wrestled in the US Senior Nationals, which is open to anyone in the nation. Glory, Fix, Gilman or anybody could have entered.  Lee obviously needed the matches and the coaches pulled him for whatever reason.  One coach is an Olympic 'Gold Medalist and the other a World Champion.  Glory looked a little off all weekend.  He was about a second away from getting beat in OT and he won in the finals 4-0.  Lee looked really sharp again this weekend.  If he stays healthy he will be a tough match-up for anyone in Folkstyle or Freestyle.  I was disappointed to not get to see him on day two at Midlands, but I'm also thankful he didn't take an Olympic Redshirt.  It would be the safer route to only have to peak or get ready for two weekends versus 15 or so.   Oklahoma State misses Fix and Cornell misses their guys as well and Iowa would miss Lee, so good for him and it's good for College wrestling that he's trying to balance both.  There are certain posters that always take shots at Lee, but NEVER post anything positive and there has been many positive aspects to his career.  He's a great representative of the sport.  He's been humble in victory and also in defeat and he's won two NCAA titles in dominating fashion.  When he's been defeated the wrestlers have ran around the mat and made a spectacle of themselves in celebration and when he's returned the favor and defeated them, he's simply walked back to the middle, shook their hand and said good match.  Some of the posters on this forum could take lessons from him about character.  It's easy to hide behind screen names and take shots at these guys.  I get the fact that we all have our opinions, but to only point out the negative makes me think certain posters have axes to grind.  I also think there's no need for such negativity pointed directly at the wrestlers when all of the reasons on not known.  It's simply wrong.  I wish all of these boards forced everyone to use their real names, because there would be far less posting by some very brave souls that can hide behind screen names.  

You said it better than me but here is what I had drafted yesterday but didn't post because I had to run out for a family emergency:

Spencer Lee’s last three national tournaments:

Alonzo Allen TFall 18-0

Luke Welch TFall 18-0

Nick Piccininni Fall 3:58

Nathan Tomasello Fall 6:05

Nick Suriano Dec 5-1

Bryce West TFall 18-0

Sean Fausz MD 10-1

Sean Russell Fall 5:59

Nick Piccininni Dec 11-4

Jack Mueller Dec 5-0

Jacob Moran TSup 10-0

Shane Kim TSup 10-0

Darian Cruz TSup 10-0

Vitali Arujau TSup 14-4

Nathan Tomasello Dec 8-2

15-0 with ten matches ending in fall, tech fall, superiority.

Not one time ever in a competitive match.

Four wins over national champions—two pins and a combined score of 15-3 in the two other matches.  Several other dominant wins over All Americans.

The guy is a killing machine when reasonably healthy and the stakes are high; the best wrestler in the country at any weight with remaining college eligibility. 

He has certainly in college skipped matches that he was healthy enough to wrestle.  That has disappointed fans.  I’ve had multiple days that I planned around watching him in person dampened by these no-shows.

But I acknowledge what he has shown in his career.  He could have blown off his senior HS year but instead wrestled in front of a hostile crowd, on a knee needing major surgery which substantially restricted his training, against a guy who is good enough that until the other day was ranked #1 in the country.  He never made excuses.

Putting off the needed surgery so that he could wrestle his senior year caused rehab to bleed over into his first year of college, which he didn’t take a redshirt for, sucked it up after gassing out at Midlands, and then absolutely decimated a very good field in Cleveland.

He clearly was sick last year but made his way through it, triumphed, and didn't make excuses.  Like a lot of wrestlers and coaches, he and the Brands have been maddeningly opaque about it.

By my count, none of the other semifinalists at the nationals in Texas with remaining college eligibility entered and wrestled a college holiday tournament (due to Olympic redshirt or just not going to a tournament).  Certainly entering and then skipping the second day of Midlands was not a fan friendly thing for Lee to do, but no one else is doing what we essentially wanted him to do (wrestle a whole multi-day folkstyle holiday tournament a week after a major national freestyle tournament).

I think Lee is tougher than he is being given credit for by many and that some losses he has taken outside of the important national tournaments while he was not 100% are causing people to not fully appreciate his greatness and how much better he is than his competition.  In my opinion he shouldn't be considered anything but a prohibitive favorite against any other college wrestler. 

I also think that for those who basically want him to be Tom or Terry Brands and beat 40 guys a year in college matches and look like they could beat 40 more, spit out their bones, and then challenge the arena to a street fight, it’s important to note that in addition to a major injury and what I’m sure was some kind of real illness in the last few years, Lee wrestled a ton as a junior—nationals, worlds, challenge matches, etc.  A lot of guys who went through all that at his elite level have burned out in college.  He sure hasn’t.

Again, I’m not saying that the skipped matches and the opaque explanations aren’t frustrating.  But some of the digs against him really don’t do justice to the totality of the circumstances, which are damn impressive -- and on top of that he’s  a classy winner and a no-excuses loser who has been the linchpin of building a new juggernaut at a great power program that had fallen substantially before he enrolled. 

Everyone knows the guy is a beast on the mat. He does not need a defense for his abundant wrestling skills. If he skips a match that people want to see they are going to say something about it, as others would do same to certain other wrestlers. 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:23 PM, treep2000 said:

A lot of people are referencing the similarities to Snyder and his limited schedule.  Lest we forget, Snyder:

1. Was already the world team member

2. Had already won a world championship

3. Was forgoing domestic competition for international competition ( ya know .. like Yarygin)

4.  At no time did Snyder duck out of a domestic tournament or dual.  He wrestled Nevills when tOSU needed the miracle and Coon in the dual (taking a loss) when he clearly didn't have to. 

Comparisons can be convenient... Except when hyperbole and embellishment are met with facts.

Snyder wrestled like 8 total matches that year prior to NCAA's.  Lee will probably wrestle 18 or 19 matches prior to the NCAA 

30 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Everyone knows the guy is a beast on the mat. He does not need a defense for his abundant wrestling skills. If he skips a match that people want to see they are going to say something about it, as others would do same to certain other wrestlers. 

I like how you wrote that in the third person 

19 hours ago, mistydawn said:

Closed it out with the post of the year. Take “Spencer Lee” out and just stay with the context, and there probably still hasn’t been a truer post all year. 

TBarr1977:  You are someone that has posted numerous times on this topic and this specific post and way too many times to count in the past regarding concerns you have with Lee.  Why is that?  I don't see or read you taking on anybody else.  I sent you a private message asking you why the focus on this one wrestler and you didn't respond.  You also mix your negative shots with far more than skipping a match: you talked about a recruiting binder and a gas tank--wow, you are on a roll in being critical of this young man.  

I am a fan of many wrestlers and yes, I do cheer for the Hawkeyes and I love good wrestling.  I also like wrestlers that provide good role models for others and I think wrestlers like Spencer and Yianni are two of those that do a good job with how they win, lose and interview.  I think they are both classy well spoken young men.  I am also careful to not be critical of these young men, because I don't have all of the facts nor do you or anybody else except those that are directly involved with these decisions.  This is different than offering opinions regarding who is going to win or lose or projecting the future, or frustration with a a team in general--that's being a fan, but due to your constant negative banter and swipes toward this young man, I would love to know your connection and back story.  Why have you have jumped on this one wrestler for numerous issues over the past few years?  Are you connected to someone he is competing with or has competed with?  Do you just hate Iowa wrestlers and have chosen this one to try to tear down on numerous topics over the past few years?  It's easy to hide behind a screen name and be critical of a young person and attack their character.  Who are you?    If you want to attack someone on a consistent negative basis, please let us know who you are.   Don't take shots and not stand up and be accountable--that's a lack of character. 

Does anyone know who TBarr1977 is? If so, please tell. 

14 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

Snyder wrestled like 8 total matches that year prior to NCAA's.  Lee will probably wrestle 18 or 19 matches prior to the NCAA 

Kyle won a World Championship after his freshman year at Ohio State and immediately announced he was taking an Olympic redshirt the following season, the season you are talking about. Once he figured out he could do both, wrestle Internationally and collegiately, he took the redshirt off and started competing for Ohio State again. That was in January 2016. So his pre Olympic year was different than Spencer's current year in this respect.

The one thing I don't recall Kyle doing that year is attending a tournament and not finishing it. He did miss one or two duals that year post his return vs Nebraska, but none of those duals involved a top 10 wrestler, let alone a top 3 wrestler. 

2 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

TBarr1977:  You are someone that has posted numerous times on this topic and this specific post and way too many times to count in the past regarding concerns you have with Lee.  Why is that?  I don't see or read you taking on anybody else.  I sent you a private message asking you why the focus on this one wrestler and you didn't respond.  You also mix your negative shots with far more than skipping a match: you talked about a recruiting binder and a gas tank--wow, you are on a roll in being critical of this young man.  

I am a fan of many wrestlers and yes, I do cheer for the Hawkeyes and I love good wrestling.  I also like wrestlers that provide good role models for others and I think wrestlers like Spencer and Yianni are two of those that do a good job with how they win, lose and interview.  I think they are both classy well spoken young men.  I am also careful to not be critical of these young men, because I don't have all of the facts nor do you or anybody else except those that are directly involved with these decisions.  This is different than offering opinions regarding who is going to win or lose or projecting the future, or frustration with a a team in general--that's being a fan, but due to your constant negative banter and swipes toward this young man, I would love to know your connection and back story.  Why have you have jumped on this one wrestler for numerous issues over the past few years?  Are you connected to someone he is competing with or has competed with?  Do you just hate Iowa wrestlers and have chosen this one to try to tear down on numerous topics over the past few years?  It's easy to hide behind a screen name and be critical of a young person and attack their character.  Who are you?    If you want to attack someone on a consistent negative basis, please let us know who you are.   Don't take shots and not stand up and be accountable--that's a lack of character. 

Does anyone know who TBarr1977 is? If so, please tell. 

So you asked me all this in private, and now taking it public. You come off as an advocate of censorship. 

Btw, as I stated in private. I have no issue with Spencer Lee's immense wrestling talent. I do wish he would have finished out the Midlands. Sorry if you are offended by that. 

Edited by TBar1977

You didn't answer and posted again on the same topic, so yes, I figured you were not going to answer me.  If you want to call me let's talk, you can message me privately as I requested originally.  I think what you've done over the years is wrong and I believe your criticism has been consistent and misguided.  I truly want to find out what the back story is, because your comments have been harsh for some time now and I hit a threshold that I am not going to let go any longer.  

Edited by mistydawn
additions

3 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

You didn't answer and posted again on the same topic, so yes, I figured you were not going to answer me.  If you want to call me let's talk, you can message me privately as I requested originally.  I think what you've done over the years is wrong and I believe your criticism has been consistent and misguided.  I truly want to find out what the back story is, because your comments have been harsh for some time now and I hit a threshold that I am not going to let go any longer.  

While I agree, are you Spencer’s mom or aunt?

9 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

Who are you? Related to Spencer Lee? Trust me, he needs no protection from you. Your actions here in indicate a few things. One, you take this msg. board way to seriously. Two, you come off here as a little too crazy if you ask me. Not interested in your overtures.

I like Spencer Lee as a wrestler, and as a person. If you think otherwise, then you have no idea how this msg. board works and I'm not going to spend my time trying to explain the dynamics to you. 

I don't take it too seriously, but your posts over the past few years have been seriously negative and pointed and I don't believe attacking these young men's character is appropriate for a message board and I don't believe it's okay to hide behind a screen name while doing so.  I've been reading your posts for the past few years and just hit a tolerance level that makes me wonder what is your problem with this young men that causes you to be so consistently negative over an elongated period of time.  There is not one post that demonstrates any level of positive regarding for Spencer or supporting the statement that you like him as a wrestler and a person--not one.  I'm not saying that you should like him, but to be so critical of him over a span of years is also perplexing.  

There must be a back story--so do share.  

Edited by mistydawn