TBar1977

Midlands Day 2 Thread

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Great final match! I've got Desanto in March, especially since Gross will have to.be smaller with OTT shortly after.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Despite the losing effort, I was more impressed by Desanto than Gross. I think they are much more even scrambling than I ever thought possible, it is clear Desanto can get out from bottom, and he is very improved in emotional control. He took the loss like a man with no antics, which surprised me. 

I think riding out the riding time to under a minute was a tactical mistake that really cost Desanto. It was clear from how the match went that he’d need the full period to close the point gap, and he’d most likely have to get a couple of TDs anyway. Giving up those precious 15 seconds probably cost him the match since even 5 more seconds in the end might’ve won Desanto that final scramble. 

7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I used to agree with this but I’m not so sure anymore. He may be an upgrade but I don’t think a huge one  Eierman is unproven at 149 and has looked unimproved and vulnerable this year albeit in freestyle while Lugo looks (so far) significantly improved.

Anyway, if you’re single answer is a guy from a lower weight who may not even wrestle 149 next year, let alone this year in a hypothetical acensiro, you are supporting my point more than not. Lugo at #1 isn’t so crazy even when you consider the redshirts. 

Lugo wouldn't beat Eierman in folkstyle.  I think 141 and 149 are both weak this year because of the redshirts.  At least 165 and 133 have prior NCAA champions in the brackets to make up for the talent redshirting there. But I am of the group who thinks this entire year is a bit disappointing because many of the best guys are sitting out.  

In terms of Desanto Gross in March:  I think one thing that will help Gross is that stalling is always called less at NCAAs than the rest of the season.  Guys who excel on the mat always seem to really outperform at the NCAAs.  Desanto escaping from bottom today was a bright spot though for him, no question.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

They just set the tournament scoring record with Spencer Lee forfeiting out in the semis and had seven finalists. Keep the hate coming. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Looks like I struck a nerve. Congrats to the team on beating #16 UNI and UR Illinois by so much. What a tough tournament it was this year!

4 minutes ago, simple said:

Looks like I struck a nerve. Congrats to the team on beating #16 UNI and UR Illinois by so much. What a tough tournament it was this year!

There a reason you didnt mention Wisconsin, Princeton, Purdue, Northwestern, or North Carolina who are all ranked? You are having a tough time with Iowas record breaking performance.

Edited by russelscout

3 minutes ago, simple said:

Lol it astounds me that people treat this year's midlands as if it were still the barnburner event it used to be. Some weights were a complete joke.

3 minutes ago, Perry said:

Lol it astounds me that people treat this year's midlands as if it were still the barnburner event it used to be. Some weights were a complete joke.

Can you quote where someone said that it was still the barnburner it used to be? Since you were so astounded by it, it should be easy to find. Ill wait.

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Lugo wouldn't beat Eierman in folkstyle.  I think 141 and 149 are both weak this year because of the redshirts.  At least 165 and 133 have prior NCAA champions in the brackets to make up for the talent redshirting there. But I am of the group who thinks this entire year is a bit disappointing because many of the best guys are sitting out.  

In general, I agree. At 149, I don’t. You can’t count either Yianni or Eierman as 149 lbers, let alone both. Neither has stated they would move up and there’s a good case for not moving up given the same weigh-in rules of both folk and free as of this year. It’s a 2-lb difference from 141 and a 6-lb difference from 149. Even if one of them moves up, it’s unlikely they would’ve moved up this year.  And in the case of Eierman specifically, no way he moves up given he’d be Lugo’s teammate this year. He was clearly not staying at Mizzou redshirt or not. 

Kolodzik is a good wrestler but I’d take Lugo today and even if you disagree, any gap between them is thin, if there even is one. 

Lugo is a legit #1 right now in my eyes. Even if you take the impossible scenario of putting both Yianni and Eierman in the 149 mix this year, it’s not like Lugo would suddenly be ranked #8. He might fall a spot or two. 

I acknowledge Lugo hasn’t proven to be consistent, ever, so he could definitely low AA again, but he is wrestling very well this year. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

8 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Agreed. Despite the losing effort, I was more impressed by Desanto than Gross. I think they are much more even scrambling than I ever thought possible, it is clear Desanto can get out from bottom, and he is very improved in emotional control. He took the loss like a man with no antics, which surprised me. 

I think riding out the riding time to under a minute was a tactical mistake that really cost Desanto. It was clear from how the match went that he’d need the full period to close the point gap, and he’d most likely have to get a couple of TDs anyway. Giving up those precious 15 seconds probably cost him the match since even 5 more seconds in the end might’ve won Desanto that final scramble. 

I think you've got to try and erase the riding time point in that situation, and I'm not sure DeSanto was going to get a takedown with 15 more seconds (without a restart).

Regardless, it was a great match, and both guys wrestled their hearts out.

Anyone else looking forward to De Santo vs. Seabass?

I don’t think it’s crazy to state that Lugo has jumped levels between his redshirt junior and redshirt senior year. Heck look at the backup 149s he’s rolling with every day. No joke those two guys could start for many programs and be sneaky low AA candidates. Then add that to Young and Murin being other practice partners and it’s pretty feasible to think he’s gotten better. If Lugo can continue to close matches this year he’s got a solid chance to win a national championship. And that’s coming from a UNC fan that wants more than anything for O’Conner to bring home UNCs first national championship since the mid 1990s.

1 minute ago, whaletail said:

I think you've got to try and erase the riding time point in that situation, and I'm not sure DeSanto was going to get a takedown with 15 more seconds (without a restart).

Regardless, it was a great match, and both guys wrestled their hearts out.

Anyone else looking forward to De Santo vs. Seabass?

To what end? Desanto has to get at a bare minimum one TD no matter what. You can’t rely on stalling a guy out who’s gotten in deep a couple of times already in the third, so how else could Desanto win other than starting with a TD? If you must, erase the riding time point after your first TD. I still think giving up those 15 seconds at the start was a mistake. 

As for the final scramble, watch again. Gross was not in good position when the whistle blew. I really though 5 more seconds was all Desanto needed. But then again, Gross can pull anything seemingly out of his ass, so who knows. 

13 minutes ago, russelscout said:

There a reason you didnt mention Wisconsin, Princeton, Purdue, Northwestern, or North Carolina who are all ranked? You are having a tough time with Iowas record breaking performance.

I named the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd. Once again, congrats to the Iowa team, which neither you(mr omega) nor Vak have anything to do with, on their excellent performance in this mediocre tournament!

24 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Desanto is such an underrated scrambler. He's very good draped over top. That was the first takedown he gave up this year and guys have gotten to his legs. Very hard to finish on.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Desanto is such an underrated scrambler. He's very good draped over top. That was the first takedown he gave up this year and guys have gotten to his legs. Very hard to finish on.

This is a very fair post. His ability to scramble and get out on bottom have gone up substantially since he arrived in iowa. I do believe the change in venue was nothing but positive for Austin 

just now getting to watch the match... even though i am not a fan of gross' style, he wrestled smart and cleaned up some things... not unhappy with how desanto wrestled either... both tough...

but...

those backs seemed awfully quick... i am not entirely convinced...

regardless, great match...

I think Iowa will win it all this year, they are a great team.  The Brands have changed course in the recruiting game and are primarily recruiting kids from the power states and getting some nice transfers.  I think (without checking closely) that 9/10 starters are from states other than Iowa.  I also think Spencer Lee provides a nice balance to the program, a little bit of chill to the fire Brands. 

29 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

i tend to agree... he has to get a takedown no matter what... erase the time then... go after him full speed from the moment the whistle blows...

Just now, simple said:

I named the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd. Once again, congrats to the Iowa team, which neither you(mr omega) nor Vak have anything to do with, on their excellent performance in this mediocre tournament!

And I named 5 other ranked teams. 6 ranked teams and Iowa breaks the all time record. 57 years and this was the most dominant.

I whole heartedly supported Iowa. That is my contribution and boy does it feel good.

-Mr. Omega

And I named 5 other ranked teams. 6 ranked teams and Iowa breaks the all time record. 57 years and this was the most dominant.
I whole heartedly supported Iowa. That is my contribution and boy does it feel good.

-Mr. Omega
Imagine going onto sports forum and criticizing people for not being members of the team?