TBar1977

Midlands Day 2 Thread

Finally got around to watching some Midlands matches. Maybe Brands should have a smaller assistant sitting next to him in the corner.  Looks like Telford brought his son to the match, if you know what I'm saying. They were both pacing during the 133 finals, and the height difference was hilarious. Good match, lots of funk :D  

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Rewatching this.  It was an action packed match.  Gross probably had an additional TD at 1:42 of the 2nd.  This match went like I figured the first one would.  Gross will major him in one of the matches in March.

Considering he has now lost once and hung on for dear life in another match....bold call.  In March Gross is going to have to keep his body small to make the final descent to 125.  He's not winning the title, and there's no chance he majors Desanto.  His only back points in two matches was a quick two count.  The only bonus points that Deanto has given up in college was as a true freshman against Micic.  I don't any way Gross majors Desanto.  He's too tough and hard to score on, plus he scores his own points.

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Rewatching this.  It was an action packed match.  Gross probably had an additional TD at 1:42 of the 2nd.  This match went like I figured the first one would.  Gross will major him in one of the matches in March.

I thought he had a takedown then as well, but as someone else mentioned, Gross may have benefited from some quick back points with that cradle, so I can't really complain about the scoring.

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Piotrowski was leading 5-3 when Rivera defaulted out. I saw guys drying the mat with a towel, so maybe he got a nosebleed or something. 

Piotrowski's been a real success story for the Illini!

I don't think he won a single high school state title, but he's been a four year D1 starter, in the B10 no less, and has improved every year.  Could very well AA this year.

That said, I wouldn't expect him to be up 5-3 on a guy like Riviera, so I'll definitely have to watch that match.

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Considering he has now lost once and hung on for dear life in another match....bold call.  In March Gross is going to have to keep his body small to make the final descent to 125.  He's not winning the title, and there's no chance he majors Desanto.  His only back points in two matches was a quick two count.  The only bonus points that Deanto has given up in college was as a true freshman against Micic.  I don't any way Gross majors Desanto.  He's too tough and hard to score on, plus he scores his own points.

Calling it a bold claim is being unnecessarily kind.

13 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Lugo wouldn't beat Eierman in folkstyle.  I think 141 and 149 are both weak this year because of the redshirts.  At least 165 and 133 have prior NCAA champions in the brackets to make up for the talent redshirting there. But I am of the group who thinks this entire year is a bit disappointing because many of the best guys are sitting out.  

In terms of Desanto Gross in March:  I think one thing that will help Gross is that stalling is always called less at NCAAs than the rest of the season.  Guys who excel on the mat always seem to really outperform at the NCAAs.  Desanto escaping from bottom today was a bright spot though for him, no question.  

But Kolodzik is the only legit title contender redshirting at 149 right? (since we don’t really know if either Yianni or Eierman would’ve went 149 this year, and if Eierman was wrestling for Iowa he likely wouldn’t have).  Lugo has actually beaten Kolodzik in the past so it’s not like he’d be a clear favorite.

I don’t recall people saying 149 was that weak in the off-season, just that it was “wide open.”  On here at least I feel like Sasso was the most common pick.  But now that he’s lost twice including to another freshman, all of the sudden it’s weak?  I feel like that’s more proof that it’s just wide open and not necessarily weak, as there are 2 very good freshmen in the mix, and you also have Lewallen returning from missing last year after AA’ing 2 years ago.  Half of last year’s AA’s returned, with Lugo being one of them.   He’s now beaten 2 of the other 3, and the other one just lost to Jaron Jensen who has a 57% winning pct in his career. 

Just my own opinion here. But to me 149 this year is really fun. Sure it’s wide open. But give me a wide open weight with a few returning all Americans, a few super freshmen, and some gritty dudes looking to make a run over a weight class like 184 where everyone is contending for 2nd place (barring a Valencia injury or a small miracle). I’d rather be on here debating what could happen at 149 this year with a slew of contenders than be here in the past few years wondering if anyone won’t be majored by Zain in March. 

I personally enjoy the fact that we have a weight like 149 where anything could happen.  Andrew Alirez is unranked right now and might be a guy who ends up in the national finals this year.  The top end isn't as strong in terms of having a few dominant front runners but I wouldn't call it weak by any means.  There are multiple guys here who could end up being 4 time AAs.  Look at the bracket for 149 in 2015.  THAT was a weak weight

Edited by lost