Jump to content
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Northwestern History

Recommended Posts

Best Wrestlers in Northwestern History

jake-Herbert.jpeg

The top five wrestlers in Wildcats history won a total of sixteen NCAA medals and four titles and include two, two-time NCAA champions, two, four-time medalists, and a world silver medalist. Check out the best Northwestern wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Finishes

#1 - Jake Herbert - 54 - 3,2,1,1
#2 - Jack Riley - 32 - 1,1
#2 - Michael McMullan - 32 - 3,2,3
#4 - Mike Funk - 29 - 4,5,4,7
#5 - Rory Weber - 28 - 4,3,4

There have been 40 All-American wrestlers who have won 68 medals in Northwestern history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Northwestern

Check out the full list in this Rokfin exclusive!

https://rokfin.com/ranking/140

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Tsirtsis was 1, 3 before transferring from NU - according to some, being a national champion would qualify him for #3 on the list

Jason Welch went 6, 4, 2 and went against the likes of JB, Dake, Taylor, James Green, Bubba, Ringer, Poeta, Fittery, DSJ, Leen, Sanjaa, Cyler, the Altons, Adam Hall, etc. - being a national runner-up might earn him the #4 spot all-time

Brandon Precin was 7, 3, 3 and is third all-time in # of wins at NU during the era of Robles, McD, Esco, Nickerson, Futrell, Sanders, Mango, Scotti Sentes, Jayson Ness, etc. - and might be worthy of #5 on the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pamela said:

Jason Tsirtsis was 1, 3 before transferring from NU - according to some, being a national champion would qualify him for #3 on the list

Jason Welch went 6, 4, 2 and went against the likes of JB, Dake, Taylor, James Green, Bubba, Ringer, Poeta, Fittery, DSJ, Leen, Sanjaa, Cyler, the Altons, Adam Hall, etc. - being a national runner-up might earn him the #4 spot all-time

Brandon Precin was 7, 3, 3 and is third all-time in # of wins at NU during the era of Robles, McD, Esco, Nickerson, Futrell, Sanders, Mango, Scotti Sentes, Jayson Ness, etc. - and might be worthy of #5 on the list

No love for Fox?  He went 3,1, just like Tsirtsis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Not that he's on the top of the list, but wasn't Ryan Lang a three-time All-American, and was only kept off the podium as a senior by what was probably the strongest weight class of this millennium? (2008, 149 lbs.)

I just don't get why people still think that was the strongest.  It was a really good weight, no doubt.  But it is not number 1 by any metric, especially at the time of the tournament.  Most of the top guys were underclassmen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I just don't get why people still think that was the strongest.  It was a really good weight, no doubt.  But it is not number 1 by any metric, especially at the time of the tournament.  Most of the top guys were underclassmen. 

6 of the 8 guys that placed won national titles... Please name another weight that wins that metric. The reason most of the top guys were underclassmen is that the class was so obscenely good there wasn't room for anyone else to place. Ryan Lang was a returning finalist who DNP as one example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lost said:

6 of the 8 guys that placed won national titles... Please name another weight that wins that metric. The reason most of the top guys were underclassmen is that the class was so obscenely good there wasn't room for anyone else to place. Ryan Lang was a returning finalist who DNP as one example.

At the completion of the tournament, only 2 of the 8 were national champions (Metcalf and Schlatter).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The below is a post from BigTenFanBoy from several years ago.  It pretty much explains why I think that weight is overrated.

 

“ In 2008 most of those accomplishments had not yet taken place. - 6 previous AA placements with 2 of them outside the top 4.

Metcalf was not yet an AA

Lance Palmer was a 1x AA returning 4

JB not yet an AA

Caldwell not yet an AA

Schlatter 2x AA 1 and Returning 3

Churella 2x AA 8 and returning 2

Jenkins not yet an AA

O'connor a 1x AA returning 5

 

Compared to this years 133 - 7 previous AA placements all within the top 4.

Miccic 2x AA 4 AND returning 2

Lizak 2x AA 2 and returning 4

Suriano returning 2

Pletcher returning 4

Wilson returning 3

The 2008 bracket went on to do some amazing things, but you cant give credit for how tough a bracket is form things they haven't yet accomplished.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

The below is a post from BigTenFanBoy from several years ago.  It pretty much explains why I think that weight is overrated.

 

“ In 2008 most of those accomplishments had not yet taken place. - 6 previous AA placements with 2 of them outside the top 4.

Metcalf was not yet an AA

Lance Palmer was a 1x AA returning 4

JB not yet an AA

Caldwell not yet an AA

Schlatter 2x AA 1 and Returning 3

Churella 2x AA 8 and returning 2

Jenkins not yet an AA

O'connor a 1x AA returning 5

 

Compared to this years 133 - 7 previous AA placements all within the top 4.

Miccic 2x AA 4 AND returning 2

Lizak 2x AA 2 and returning 4

Suriano returning 2

Pletcher returning 4

Wilson returning 3

The 2008 bracket went on to do some amazing things, but you cant give credit for how tough a bracket is form things they haven't yet accomplished.”

Respectfully, can't completely agree with that last line...you can't give credit..... There can only be one champ in a bracket.  Seeing how those athletes panned out over their career is absolutely something that can be compared.  It may not mean much to you but, but to others it may be a very good metric.  In my mind What someone has accomplished in the past couple of years is no more overbearing than what someone accomplished within the next couple of years. 

 Last year's 133 is right up there as well.  Time will tell how accomplished those athletes become.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perry said:

2008 149 had a talent pool that can't be compared to last year's 133. Having lizak on a list attempting to prove he was more talented than sophomore metcalf is a bad take

No one thinks Lizak is more talented than Metcalf.  Or at least I don't.  

You're right though, as a while 2008 149 talent does not live up to last year's 133, or many other weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

No one thinks Lizak is more talented than Metcalf.  Or at least I don't.  

You're right though, as a while 2008 149 talent does not live up to last year's 133, or many other weights.

Are you using previous ncaa placings as your only metric on how much talent is in a particular bracket?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Are you using previous ncaa placings as your only metric on how much talent is in a particular bracket?

No, if using any AA finishes, 133 last year or 125 in 2018 at a minimum would still finish ahead of 2008 149.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Okay, they will beat out 2008 149 in that, also.

Well that's where time will tell.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative just inquiring to where you come to certain things factor in and certain things do not.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well that's where time will tell.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative just inquiring to where you come to certain things factor in and certain things do not.

Well other weights already have more than the 8 that 2008 149 has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Well other weights already have more than the 8 that 2008 149 has.

But that's not what I was asking.  You said previously that accomplishments yet to be made don't factor in, but then when I asked if previous accomplishments were the only thing that factor in you said no and included total AA's. So my question was why do AA's yet to be accomplished factor in, but not NCAA titles yet to be won?

To your reply though, I can't think of a bracket off the top of my head with 7 or more NCAA champions.  What ones am I missing?  Not saying they're not there but I just can't think of them for sure. I know the year Smith beat Bormet there were alot of titles in that bracket but I don't recall if there were six different champs.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

But that's not what I was asking.  You said previously that accomplishments yet to be made don't factor in, but then when I asked if previous accomplishments were the only thing that factor in you said no and included total AA's. So my question was why do AA's yet to be accomplished factor in, but not NCAA titles yet to be won?

To your reply though, I can't think of a bracket off the top of my head with 7 or more NCAA champions.  What ones am I missing?  Not saying they're not there but I just can't think of them for sure.

I'm saying whether you include future AA's or national championships, 2008 149 still falls short of many weight classes.  Use either metric and it is not the best.  

NCAA titles yet to be won can be included.  If that is the case 2008 149 has 8 among the all americans from that year, which is not the most ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mokoma said:

I'm saying whether you include future AA's or national championships, 2008 149 still falls short of many weight classes.  Use either metric and it is not the best.  

NCAA titles yet to be won can be included.  If that is the case 2008 149 has 8 among the all americans from that year, which is not the most ever.

Again, not arguing your stance, just asking again why you said future NCAA titles don't count but then said you factor in total all americans when I asked if past accomplishments was all you looked at.

In regards to finding a bracket with 7 or more champs I'm talking about champs/athletes.  Doing some looking now to see if I can find one, just for curiosity sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...