headshuck

Remember the PSU era?

17 hours ago, russelscout said:

I seem to remember Iowa getting flack when Iowa skipped midlands in 2012. Now PSU gets a pass. Sounds about right.

Penn State is sending their best guys to the Ferrell and US Open/sr nationals. What was iowa doing in 2012 in comparison?

6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Aaron Brooks wrestled two former NCAA finalists and Sammy Brooks at the OT qualifier.

Cassar and Nick Lee wrestled as noted above. PSU wrestling does not need to apologize for anything. 

how do you feel about spencer lee going to midlands, wrestling then dropping out? 

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

PSU fans pretty much. 

Although I do have to agree with the poster above that their guys are still probably seeing better competition that they would have under a "normal" schedule.  For just one example, who was Nick Lee going to see at the Scuffle, or anywhere else up to this point in the season, that is better competition than what he saw last week.

im hoping you defended spencer lee in the same way..

i dont know.. just wondering

9 minutes ago, Perry said:

Penn State is sending their best guys to the Ferrell and US Open/sr nationals. What was iowa doing in 2012 in comparison?

I pulled up their 2012 schedule. After an early slate that included Cumberland College, Tennessee Chattanooga, SIEU, Cornell (the Iowa College, not the Universityin Ithaca)  the Hawkeyes battled Iowa Central Community College. Then in mid December they dualed Hofstra, Bucknell and Buffalo. They they had some Big 10 schools, their annual match with Okie State. 

They did have to travel to Big10's at Champlain Illinois before NCAA's all the way over in Des Moines that year. Lotta miles on the ole station wagon that year I bet. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

Ahh, he was there. He probably should have wrestled assuming he had no health issue. 

you aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt like you did psu b/c they wrestled at senior nationals?

in my book he is doing more than them.

7 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Aaron Brooks wrestled two former NCAA finalists and Sammy Brooks at the OT qualifier.

Cassar and Nick Lee wrestled as noted above. PSU wrestling does not need to apologize for anything. 

spencer lee BEAT two former NCAA champions and arujau at the OT qualifier.

then made weight again and wrestled at Midlands.

PSU didn't even go to southern scuffle which is weaker than midlands appears to be.

Iowa wrestling and Lee do not need to apologize for anything.

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

Common sense should be a criteria for rankings. Its a joke to only go by results and not look at the bigger picture.

Damn!!  I agree with Tbar AND Russelscout?!!?

If they want natties to be legit, then they need to seed the top guys where they need to be seeded.  I'd be pissed as hell if I were a high seed and had to face someone like Brooks early on because of seeding criteria.

9 minutes ago, GockeS said:

PSU didn't even go to southern scuffle which is weaker than midlands appears to be.

Hudkins wrestles Glory in the semis. Should have been the final without Lee. Hudkins gets injured. Lee should apologize to Hudkins.

I kid... I kid...

17 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Damn!!  I agree with Tbar AND Russelscout?!!?

If they want natties to be legit, then they need to seed the top guys where they need to be seeded.  I'd be pissed as hell if I were a high seed and had to face someone like Brooks early on because of seeding criteria.

Seedings and rankings are two completely different things. 

34 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I pulled up their 2012 schedule. After an early slate that included Cumberland College, Tennessee Chattanooga, SIEU, Cornell (the Iowa College, not the Universityin Ithaca)  the Hawkeyes battled Iowa Central Community College. Then in mid December they dualed Hofstra, Bucknell and Buffalo. They they had some Big 10 schools, their annual match with Okie State. 

They did have to travel to Big10's at Champlain Illinois before NCAA's all the way over in Des Moines that year. Lotta miles on the ole station wagon that year I bet. 

I was at that specific big 10 tournament and remember it well. An iowa fan threw trash at me and my brother bc he was wearing an illinois hoody (our dad was an IL alum) during the 125 finals. I began hating iowa that day

34 minutes ago, GockeS said:

im hoping you defended spencer lee in the same way..

i dont know.. just wondering

I didn’t defend Lee as so much as give my opinion that his top two priorities are and NCAA title and Olympic berth, and they have set a plan to that end. Two more matches at midlands against far superior competition than he just faced a week prior is probably not a priority in that plan, though I’m just guessing. 

So if that fits in defending him the same way....then yeah. 

57 minutes ago, GockeS said:

you aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt like you did psu b/c they wrestled at senior nationals?

in my book he is doing more than them.

He was there, they were at Wilkes and they wrestled at Wilkes. I don't recall, say, Mark Hall not wrestling the finals at Wilkes. Once you are there you should wrestle unless you can't. 

50 minutes ago, GockeS said:

Spencer isn't Iowa, as in he isn't the whole team. PSU had a bunch of guys (also not the whole team, but several) at OT qualifier. They sent 3 guys to Southern Scuffle. Redshirts, but still. The rest went to Wilkes. I don't see the problem. 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

In a tie-breaker sense though, right?

1. Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
  2. Quality wins — 20 percent
  3. Coaches Ranking — 15 percent
  4. Results against common opponents — 10 percent
  5. RPI — 10 percent
  6. Qualifying event placement — 10 percent
  7. Win % — 10 percent

Is this still the current seeding criteria??

Edited by KCMO2

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He was there, they were at Wilkes and they wrestled at Wilkes. I don't recall, say, Mark Hall not wrestling the finals at Wilkes. Once you are there you should wrestle unless you can't. 

Or unless you’re trying to win an NCAA title and Olympic berth in a matter of a couple weeks and you and your team have developed a set plan to do, and in doing so encounter a situation where staying on the course of your plans may make some fans unhappy?