Perry

Rivera looked better than DeSanto

I wouldn’t say better but I was very impressed. I was very skeptical of his move up to 133, even suggesting he might make his way down later i. the season. He is clearly a very legit title contender up a weight.

I suppose it’s a compliment to River that I can’t tell whether Gross just didn’t wrestle well against him or whether he really can take Gross down that easily. 

9 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

Rivera beat up on Gross for 6:50. He had the answer to all of Gross’s bread and butter, and if I had to bet, I’d bet he doesn’t fall for the throw again. 

I agree, but I think the Gross that wrestled Desanto at 9 PM in the finals may have been a whole 10+ lbs bigger than the Gross who wrestled Rivera at 1 PM. Might be a different match next time. Gross seems good at adjusting to guys he’s wrestled recently and that was the first time the two ever met. Despite all that, Gross still won.

10 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I agree, but I think the Gross that wrestled Desanto at 9 PM in the finals may have been a whole 10+ lbs bigger than the Gross who wrestled Rivera at 1 PM. Might be a different match next time. Gross seems good at adjusting to guys he’s wrestled recently and that was the first time the two ever met. Despite all that, Gross still won.

They said on the broadcast that Gross has been keeping his weight low and doesn't get above 138 or so, or I think that's what they quoted Bono saying. 

11 hours ago, Perry said:

Today at least he did. Not saying we should bring out the transitive property on this one but Rivera looked better to me

I agree. I see Sebastian giving DeSanto more trouble than anyone else, and I'm a big fan of Austin. I'll take it one step further, should Rivera drop back down to 125.lbs, I see him beating Lee again.

Rivera controlled the whole match. The throw was desperation and pretty lucky. DeSanto controlled the whole first match with Gross too, and didn't get caught with a throw. Gross is smart and makes good adjustments. Next time with Rivera will be different. I'm looking forward to all the matches among these three. I really wanted DeSanto to face Rivera at Midlands so he would convince him to go back to 125. Against a healthy Lee (which I'm not convinced he is), Rivera will never win.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think DeSanto will let Rivera back up like he did when he beat Lee.

It looks as if that's the plan.  Brands' made him wrestle on top damn near the entire tourney.  So much so that the fifteen or so seconds to take away riding time in the 3rd period might have cost him that win?  Seabass looked good for sure I just really like DeSanto and hope he wins a title.

5 minutes ago, TNTwrestle said:

Rivera controlled the whole match. The throw was desperation and pretty lucky. DeSanto controlled the whole first match with Gross too, and didn't get caught with a throw. Gross is smart and makes good adjustments. Next time with Rivera will be different. I'm looking forward to all the matches among these three. I really wanted DeSanto to face Rivera at Midlands so he would convince him to go back to 125. Against a healthy Lee (which I'm not convinced he is), Rivera will never win.

This is a great weight class this year, even with Suriano and Fix on redshirt.  Those 3 plus RBY and Piotrowski make a really stacked big 10.

13 minutes ago, TNTwrestle said:

Gross set it up from a whizzer, I wouldn’t call it lucky, I’d call it skill.  How come no one else gets lucky against Rivera?

I should have worded it better. Gross is very skilled and very crafty. I should have said it was surprising that Rivera gave that up. I would stink to control the whole match and have one unfortunate miscue lose it for you. Just proves he's not infallible. Haven't watched a replay to see if he slipped or something, because that's not the kind of move that usually works against someone like him.

1 minute ago, TNTwrestle said:

I should have worded it better. Gross is very skilled and very crafty. I should have said it was surprising that Rivera gave that up. I would stink to control the whole match and have one unfortunate miscue lose it for you. Just proves he's not infallible. Haven't watched a replay to see if he slipped or something, because that's not the kind of move that usually works against someone like him.

Ok, I get what you mean.  Here is one shot of the exchange.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

This is a great weight class this year, even with Suriano and Fix on redshirt.  Those 3 plus RBY and Piotrowski make a really stacked big 10.

Micic is gone as well, but Rivera adds a lot to the weight.

If Echemendia pushes Pletcher down to 133 (which I doubt will happen), it'll be even tougher.