Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Scuffle Talk

23 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Probably one of the most disappointing, as it relates to powerhouse teams, in recent memory.  The highest ranked team is #11.  Yea, my prediction - Booooorinngggg.

There are still some very good wrestlers in the event. Worth the watch imo. What else is on? A bunch of 3 loss teams in meaningless bowl games? 

30 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

There are still some very good wrestlers in the event. Worth the watch imo. What else is on? A bunch of 3 loss teams in meaningless bowl games? 

Heeeeyyyy easy.  Just like more wrestling is more wrestling, more football is more football.   

(not to mention they're not exactly meaningless)

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Heeeeyyyy easy.  Just like more wrestling is more wrestling, more football is more football.   

(not to mention they're not exactly meaningless)

If March is all the matters in wrestling, then Clemson v LSU is all that matters in bowl games, no? 

OK, they matter for recruiting and $$$. 

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If March is all the matters in wrestling, then Clemson v LSU is all that matters in bowl games, no? 

OK, they matter for recruiting and $$$. 

Matter of opinion I guess.  I'm one that believes the championship event is not the only thing that matters.  Apparently most fans of both sports agree as well, otherwise why all the discussion and viewership of the Midlands, regular season football, etc? They must matter.

That said I was more or less joking and agree with your initial response.  Not having the very elite at the tournament in no way = boring.

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Matter of opinion I guess.  I'm one that believes the championship event is not the only thing that matters.  Apparently most fans of both sports agree as well, otherwise why all the discussion and viewership of the Midlands, regular season football, etc? They must matter.

That said I was more or less joking and agree with your initial response.  Not having the very elite at the tournament in no way = boring.

Yeah, we agree. Hey, they could have a David Carr Hayden Hidlay 157 final. New guys can break out. It will be worth the look imo. 

I see Stanford has five wrestlers in the pre-seeds included one as the # 1 seed and two more as the # 2 seed at their respective weight classes.

125 lbs - Gabe Townsell # 4 seed

141 lbs - Real Woods - # 3 seed

149 lbs - Require van der Merwe - # 2 seed

165 lbs - Shane Griffith - # 1 seed

197 lbs - Nathan Traxler - # 2 seed

49 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yeah, we agree. Hey, they could have a David Carr Hayden Hidlay 157 final. New guys can break out. It will be worth the look imo. 

Carr isn't going only 1 or 2 starters for Iowa St are going 

5 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I see Stanford has five wrestlers in the pre-seeds included one as the # 1 seed and two more as the # 2 seed at their respective weight classes.

125 lbs - Gabe Townsell # 4 seed

141 lbs - Real Woods - # 3 seed

149 lbs - Require van der Merwe - # 2 seed

165 lbs - Shane Griffith - # 1 seed

197 lbs - Nathan Traxler - # 2 seed

141 will be a good one to watch- #9, #11, #12, #16. #20.  

Need the Pac 12 teams to get some wins against quality opponents to get some qualifications. 

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Absolutely TBar. I would MUCH rather watch the number 10 ranked wrestler in a weight class versus the number 15 as opposed to the number one vs somebody who he's going to molest. Everybody that's in division 1 is a good wrestler so you're going to see decent wrestling between two equally matched wrestlers. You get Spencer Lee versus the third string wrestler from a division 3 College that's going to the Midlands and that's going to be BORING!

25 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Absolutely TBar. I would MUCH rather watch the number 10 ranked wrestler in a weight class versus the number 15 as opposed to the number one vs somebody who he's going to molest. Everybody that's in division 1 is a good wrestler so you're going to see decent wrestling between two equally matched wrestlers. You get Spencer Lee versus the third string wrestler from a division 3 College that's going to the Midlands and that's going to be BORING!

Watch out for some freshman back ups at this event as well. Not just the three from PSU either. There will be guys in redshirt who are tomorrows starters that will win matches this year. 

7 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I agree.   It occurred to me watching the Midlands semis and finals yesterday that the talent was better than any conference tournament besides the Big Ten.    We get spoiled every spring by the spectacle of the Big Ten tourney and then NCAA feast.     If you like college wrestling a lot, you get to see a lot of great match-ups at Midlands and scuffle.  I'm psyched.

What has come to suck is most dual meets.  Wrestling has forever been top-heavy, but now it seems like the top 5 teams are WAY out ahead.   All the great wrestlers are starting at or transferring to a tiny pool of teams.  Most duals don't have many exciting matchups.    Only the handful of meets between the top tier teams are exciting.